Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
reacting to reality in constant meditation
    #3208444 - 10/02/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

it is my theory that we have total control over our feelings, its just that we cannot see it directly. the most effective way humans learn is through repetition. be it speech, math, or any other concept, this includes negativity and positivity.

how you see others react to different situations has an influence on how you deal with it. so while we were young we learned how to exist in a certain way. the thing though is that this was mostly done sub and unconciously, after all a child is not going to start thinking about how they react to reality.

we are older now and can really start thinking for ourselves, and this means that we can reprogram our own minds to be the way we want it to be, but this time, we have to do it consciously.

a couple of ideas to consider, and they are pretty much related.

1) try not enforce you will upon reality
2) accept others and yourself (ie unconditional love)
3) you are the one that makes you feel a certain way, not reality

everytime you feel uncomfortable (negative emotions; boredom, sorrow, anger, resentment) it is because of your internal programming. it means when that certain situation popped up in your life before, that's exactly how you reacted.

so first what you'd have to do is notice what you are doing.

then you will have to use logic to convince yourself of how the certain emotion doesn't help you nor the situation at all.

as you keep doing this over and over, you will notice how less angry (and how much less you dwell) over a situation. this takes a really long time, but the more you focus, the more you will achieve the state you want.

see what I mean how you don't see results right away, but you do have control?

when you focus constantly, you are meditating. and the longer you do it, the easier it becomes, up until the point where you are meditating for most of the day.

all meditation does is focus, and why not focus on the most important thing, how you react to reality.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (10/02/04 09:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: kaiowas]
    #3208647 - 10/02/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Excellent. My addition: Thought comes before emotion, and creates emotion. It then becomes apparent that if one is to endeavor to extricate themselves from such emotional negativity, the conscious and present control of the thinking mind is in order.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3208689 - 10/02/04 11:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, you decide to feel.

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3208745 - 10/03/04 12:00 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>> Thought comes before emotion

I think this is misleading. Experiences do not simply generate thoughts which generate emotions which motivate our actions. It is not so A, B, C.

Take the example of a witnessed injustice. Most people react with some kind of frustration or anger when witnessing an injustice, and often times they are compelled to intervene. However, on such an occasion we do not perceive the injustice and then think "this is a terrible situation because that person was treated unfairly." and then immediately become upset and belligerent. Instead, feelings and thoughts in this type of scenario compound upon eachother, feelings contributing to thoughts, thoughts contributing to feeling. The more exaggerated our feelings become, the more exaggerated our thoughts on the matter will become. By the same token, the more exaggerated our thoughts, the more exaggerated our feelings. The final product, our intervening action, appears in dependence upon the interplay between two elements: thought and feeling.

In turn, our thoughts arise in dependence upon our experience, and our habitual perspectives on those experiences. Our thoughts are built upon our views, which are largely shaped by our immersion within a culture. Culture is sustained by many things; population density, climate, history, surrounding food supplies, available technology. Our feelings arise in dependence upon our awareness, and our awareness in turn is the result of innumerable other phenomenon.

So you see how we can select any facet of our experience and follow the trail of causality which gave rise to it in just about any direction we wish. In this way, thought does not necessarily come before emotion, nor emotion before thought. They arise mutually. Can their be thought without feeling? Feeling without thought? While we're at it, let's ask the question: can there be anything without everything else?

I think this is why human beings have a reputation among our most promient writers as being rash and unreasonable creatures. We are so convinced that our experiences come the outside, and that we are totally uninvolved in creating our reality, that we have become completely bewitched. And as such we allow our thoughts and feelings to carry us along like a raft adrift atop an angry ocean. Our actions are often swift, unconsidered, and extreme.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #3208922 - 10/03/04 01:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

"1) try not enforce you will upon reality
2) accept others and yourself (ie unconditional love)
3) you are the one that makes you feel a certain way, not reality "

2 and 3 are excellent things to try to integrate into your reality. number 1 however i totally disagree with. Will is the mechanism by which we change our reality. Why not use it to improve our lives, and the lives of our loved ones? Whats wrong with effecting reality?

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3209272 - 10/03/04 07:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

the only thing i see wrong withaltering reality is unbalancing karma

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
    #3209329 - 10/03/04 08:33 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
"1) try not enforce you will upon reality

Will is the mechanism by which we change our reality. Why not use it to improve our lives, and the lives of our loved ones? Whats wrong with effecting reality?

You effect reality just by being a part of it, by existing. Not enforcing your will upon reality is not about staying in a static state of being, it does not deny you the chance to strive, improve or participate in life. You should still take responsibility for your actions and decisions to make conscious choices. This idea is not restricting - it is about letting go of fear over the lack of control of outcomes. This can only bring you freedom. It is about accepting you can't always get what you want, which can also guide you to understand the rightousness and virtue of your desires. Monitoring your expectations helps you avoid being negative and therefore judgemental.

--------------------
Turn on your lovelight, let it shine on me

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: lovelight]
    #3209345 - 10/03/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok cool with me.

But to be fair, i dont think 'let go of fear of outcomes'

is the same thing as 'dont enforce your will on reality'

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3209404 - 10/03/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

sweet

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineWhiteRussian
The Silence islouder then youthink
Loc: In your head :P
    #3210637 - 10/03/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
aaaaaahhhhh

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
    #3210703 - 10/03/04 05:55 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

My explaination is just how I see it. It's not just about the quote you singled out, it's everything else I spoke of too, and perhaps much more. What Kaiowas said reaches into all areas of your interaction with reality and experiencing life. I just tryed to elaborate in my terms, so that you see how this mindframe is not limiting but insightful, just like real meditation. Hope it helped, it's just an opinion.

:smile:

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: reacting to reality in constant meditation [Re: Ped]
    #3211245 - 10/03/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, Ped.. I have given this insight much intro/retrospective reflection... and it seems that you have indeed brought forth a very accurate light upon this aspect of human nature.

I feel that there may have been some misconceptions as to where I am coming from on this issue.. allow me to eludicate; At first, I got the impression that there was a semantic confusion behind what I referred to as "thought". By thought of course I didn't mean a "secondary thought", if you will; but moreso a "primary thought". For instance, the very experience of witnessing a prejudiced event, i.e., seeing an ethnically foriegn individual harassed, in this case the informational input, which is visual, is a thought. That, is what I would call a primary thought. Then the witness will experience the internal dialogue [thought] and/or reaction [emotion]. This is what I'll refer to as a secondary thought, the verbalization and/or emotionalization of the primary thought, such as "[anger]"this is a terrible situation because that person was treated unfairly."[/anger]

That is only a generalization of what was the unformalized theory that I held over this particular nuance of human nature, for the sake of clarification on where I stood on this discussion. So I know, for example, that what I've defined as primary thoughts/secondary thoughts and the differentiation between the two is still subject to debate, [i.e., they may both in fact, be the same, or what I refer to as a primary thought isn't by definition a thought, etc.,] and I welcome any such intellectual exploration in the absence of technical psychological tomes [or MarkostheGnostic].

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Edited by SkorpivoMusterion (10/03/04 08:54 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale