Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn?
    #3203151 -

When growing p. cubensis? and how does it benefits the spawn? I use rye grain as spawn substrate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: kingstroke]
    #3203166 -

I got no idea what the fuck your talking about.


--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

  Edward Abbey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: kingstroke]
    #3203167 -

If you are spawning to bulk, no.

If you are going to case and fruit off rye, still not necessary IMO.

If you are using an acidic casing layer like peat, then you need a pH buffer, but not if useing coir/verm.

EDIT: The buffer is for the casing layer, not the substrate.

Edited by psilomonkey (10/01/04 07:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3203176 -

ok thanks for clearing that up. Paul tells little about this only mentions it in the mushroom cultivator. But this maybe answers why I have had so bad results with peat\verm as casing layer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: kingstroke]
    #3203181 -

In my opinion one of the best casing materials to use for someone new to cultivation is vermiculite only, or verm/coir. Easy to sue, no need for any type of buffer, and very cheap.


--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

  Edward Abbey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3203238 -

Quote:
hawksapprentice said:
In my opinion one of the best casing materials to use for someone new to cultivation is vermiculite only, or verm/coir. Easy to sue, no need for any type of buffer, and very cheap.


It won't hurt anything though, right? From what I understand, coir pH can range from 5.2 - 6.8...

I was going to add a little to my casing layer...

I believe the optimum pH for the casing layer is 7.0 - 7.5?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: discman1]
    #3203248 -

Im not sure what the ph of Coir is, but i have seen many a flushs grow from coir verm mix and have had no problems at all.


--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

  Edward Abbey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3203306 -

coir is neutral (7ish). Peat would not be my choice, as well as being acidic and requiring a buffer, I found that there are enough nutrients in peat to cause me problems with Tric mould in the past.

Coir is easy to get from pet shops, but if you can't find it, I would agree, straight verm is good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: kingstroke]
    #3204659 -

FYI coir's pH is in the range of 5.7-6.5 and still will benefit from long term buffers in later flushes (5+) I also add a tsp. to my rye and I have noticed it may even help the rye from clumping as much when shaken, it is not necessary as a drop of JetDry will do the same thing. When doing WBS JetDry really helps in the soak (a couple drops) and also when doing spore syringes too! just my $.02

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: hyphae]
    #3204702 -

I just tried some gypsum on my last jars, they did shake much better. What is JetDry, always interested in refining the art?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Newb: do I need calcium buffer for grain spawn? [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3204746 -

JetDry is a rinse agent to prevent water spotting. It has many useful uses in our hobby :wink: Glad to hear your one interested in taking that extra step up to the next level! WTG Bro!!! :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Crumbled Cakes as Opposed to Grain Spawn fluff_master 2,678 6 04/06/04 10:37 PM
by Magash
* Has anyone tried sorghum as grain spawn? DERRAYLD 11,799 14 12/21/18 06:31 AM
by JHOVA
* Grain Spawn MycoCat 2,391 11 03/12/12 12:20 PM
by neakah
* Useing popcorn as grain spawn. HunterS 5,000 6 07/06/15 09:34 PM
by Grim767
* grain spawn - which grain? felixhigh 5,951 5 10/12/18 11:07 PM
by Zero Nowhere
* Colonizing Grain Spawn for bulk?? Need a hand! Pig_In_Zen 5,027 6 09/09/20 10:48 AM
by foodguy
* Grain Spawn and Air.... HoboWilly65 1,264 3 01/23/04 11:46 PM
by Prisoner#1
* poop to grain spawn ratio. Derek 1,599 5 05/06/04 02:56 PM
by psilocybinjunkie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
766 topic views. 12 members, 102 guests and 111 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.