Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsiTripper
Male
Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)...
    #3132964 - 09/14/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'm new to these forums and to shroom growing. This site is amazing. I've been reading about growing for the past 3-4 days. I still have some questions though before I dive into it. Here is my planned set up...

I have decided to go with mycobags for now. I am looking for the simplest method possible and I'm willing to spend the little extra money. I'm just looking to grow some shrooms easily to do with friends about every month or so.

I'm going to buy the small mycobag from mycobag.com and the spores from TLG.

I want to put the mycobag and the shrooms in a closet. I read that generally 85 degrees is good for incubation and that 75-80 is good for fruiting. The temperature in my apartment right now is 77 (probably a little warmer in the closet). Can I just leave it at 77 for both incubation and fruiting? Will leaving it at this temperature drastically effect harvest time or yield? How much longer would I have to wait to harvest the shrooms(estimate)?

Also, I keep them in the dark until fruiting, right? For fruiting, I can use any kind of light? Even just a regular light bulb? Will the type of light I use effect anything? Can I just use a lamp beside them? Just how many hours of light do they need for fruiting (around 12 is what I read, but I also seen other times)?

I am not sure of how many cc's to use for one small mycobag. I have read 1-6. What is correct. I'm supposed to inject the bag twice?

Basically I just want to know if I could grow a decent amount of shrooms with this set up. I just want it to be as easy as possible. My main concern is wheter or not they will colonize at 77 degrees.

Sorry this post is so detailed, but I would really like to get this right the first time.

Also this link might help someone else new to mycobags
http://www.clusterbusters.com/mycobag.htm

I'm looking forward to growing shrooms, but I don't want to waste my money, so I'm trying to learn all I can before I start. Someone should write a tek on mycrobags with pics and such to help us who completely new to this.

Anyway, this site is great, and I hope someone can help me out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewds
another brick

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)... [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3132996 - 09/14/04 01:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

colonization will be slower if not kept near the suggested incubation temp, and you should keep it in the dark during incubation

light is one trigger used to initiate pinning, and makes the shrooms grow straight (they grow towards the light) i don't believe it does anything beyond this

EDIT: oh yea, welcome.

--------------------
I wish psychedelic mushrooms were legal, because I would like to indulge in this amazing fruit of the earth. Unfortunately, I can only learn about this interesting hobby, and cultivate legal mushrooms.

Edited by wds (09/14/04 01:36 AM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)... [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3133001 - 09/14/04 01:37 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Bags are not the best or easiest way to go. Especially for a first-timer. Jars work a lot better.

No matter how much you've read up or how smart ya' are the standard advice still applies... Start with PF cakes and follow the MMGG(better than PF tek) exactly your first time. Despite the comparatively low yields you will get many trips out of your first round of a dozen jars and learn a lot.

-FF

Offlinemitemouse
Student

#3133451 - 09/14/04 08:04 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Actually if you have the money and want to make a lot of shrooms, you should buy the mycobags and then also buy high mountain compost. Then spawn the mycobag to the compost and you should get great results. This is my current set up right now.

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
    #3133768 - 09/14/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. I will continue to look through the PF Teks, although I still think I will go for mycobags.

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
    #3133885 - 09/14/04 10:31 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

joshwill80 said:
Can I just leave it at 77 for both incubation and fruiting? Will leaving it at this temperature drastically effect harvest time or yield?

Yes.

The drop in temperature is one of the signals to the mycelium that it is time to product mushrooms. You cannot incubate and fruit at the same temp.  :thumbdown:

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3134134 - 09/14/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok jw80
i assume the reason you want to use mycobags is because they come pre sterilized, therefore all you need is a mbag and a spore syringe. well you really are going to need some sort of incubator, i highly recommend getting a digital thermometer, i use one that cost no more than 30 bucks and its got temp., humidity, and a second remote sensor that you could leave in your incubator or test different spots in your house for 85 degree spots, it will also show you the min/max temps for the day, you might be able to get away with a rubbermaid tub with a few blankets over it, this might take you up a couple of degrees for incubation. as far as fruiting goes 73-76 is ideal, a small fan could take your place down a degree or two from 77 to 75, it sounds crazy but a few degrees seems to make a huge difference, you can use a small compact grow light or some nice soft natural light is always good, 12 hours is plenty, shrooms are not like plants, light does not dictate size, but shrooms will show a phototropic like response to light( they will curve toward the light).
basically you can grow a decent amount of shrooms with a grow bag and a syringe, but to make your environment what you want you will most likely need a thermometer, a fan, a rubbermaid tub or five, a florescent light or a window, and i would recommend any paul stamets book. and even with all these supplies you aren't even up to the cost of a small pressure cooker.
i will post some pics later of my grow bag set up that was quite like what i was telling you about.
" if your not going all the way there is no sense in going at all." maximum impact bottle

Offlinedjred

Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)... [Re: zerozero]
    #3134187 - 09/14/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

hmm..from what i've read now for many months on this site..i think the jars are better,for the long run in money and time. but then the bags isa good idea no waiting for it to kool for hours you get to start everything pretty easly. what for $35 you have a bag and syringe?

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
    #3134244 - 09/14/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

riceliker, yeah that makes sense.

zerozero, thanks for the help. i can just set the temperature in the house around 75, so that is no problem. I don't think i'll need a fan.

Since i'm growing them in a closet i was going to use a grow light. Would a grow light that is only big as a typical light bulb give off enough light (I assume so)? Do they even make grow lights that small? I would like to give them some indirect sunlight but I have pets and I think it would be hard to keep them away from the bag. You said 12 hours is plenty, would 8 or even 6 hours be enough?

I will get a digital thermometer. It looks like I will need some kind of incubator. This will probably be the hardest part for me. I am only planning on using one mycobag for now. The rubbermaid tub only has to be as big as the cake, right? Could I just use a small tub for one bag?

As far as how to heat the tub I am at a loss. I would ideally like to get it up to about 85 degrees. What are good alternatives to blankets. I assume a heater placed in the tub would work well. Would a heater zap moisture from the bag? Does anyone know a good small heater for incubation? Also what about fire hazards? Putting a heater in a small tub does not seem safe. I will read up more on incubators.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3134376 - 09/14/04 01:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Be sure to post your results when you get (or fail to get) colonization.

-FF

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)... [Re: fastfred]
    #3134790 - 09/14/04 02:40 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

ok

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag) [Re: zerozero]
    #3134817 - 09/14/04 02:45 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Try the tub-in-tub method. Basically, you have one tub with an aquarium heater sitting in it with water. Then another, smaller tub is resting inside of this... this is where you would keep your bag.

Not as much of a fire hazard.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflinePsiTripper
Male
Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag) [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3135020 - 09/14/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yeah just read about tub-in-tub and I was just getting ready to ask about it. Do i leave the bag extended or "bunched up" in the tub?

The only other thing I would like to know about is fruiting mycobags. Let's say I put the bag in an indirectly sunlit room for fruiting. Since the bags are clear on all sides would the shrooms grow out the sides of the bag?

I seen a pic in the pf tek for simple minds that a trah can used as a terrarium. This would work great for me because it would keep my pets from getting to the shrooms. Can i put the mycobag in a plastic trash can for fruiting? Then the shrooms would grow upward, right? Do i need to cover the trash can (I assume not since the mycobag is still sealed during fruiting).

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag) [Re: PsiTripper]
    #3135029 - 09/14/04 03:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

joshwill80 said:
Since i'm growing them in a closet i was going to use a grow light. Would a grow light that is only big as a typical light bulb give off enough light (I assume so)? Do they even make grow lights that small? I would like to give them some indirect sunlight but I have pets and I think it would be hard to keep them away from the bag. You said 12 hours is plenty, would 8 or even 6 hours be enough?

Read the tek closer.

Any light will work but we do not use "grow lights". A regular 60watt bulb will work, the light just tells the mushrooms when to fruit and which direction to grow in. Doesn't matter what kind.

Sunlight is known to break down psilocybin, do not expose to ANY sunlight unless you have no choice. When you are trying to initiate pinning, do 12hrs light 12hrs dark. GL

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3135163 - 09/14/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

pics of mycobag producing fruit, veil pics, harvest pics ( fresh )
pics of a single grow bag fruiting in a clear rubbermaid with a shaded southern facing window, 73-77 degrees, 100% humidity, western digital remote temp. sensor, fanned by hand at least 10 or 15 times a day, green plate replaces perlite, misted sides of tub with h20 and peroxide a few times a day( not the bag itself ), first flush about 35 grams wet. not bad for the investment or time involved. nothing better than growing things for yourself even if you dont get a pound the first time.

:eek:

Offlinekatfish
Nooblit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
    #7256937 - 08/03/07 08:25 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

whoa! wait a minute! are those shrooms growing through the mycobag? like they break through the plastic? I just inocculated yesterday my first mycobag with brazilian. i have it in a closet outside in a old refridgerator. i just checked the temp and it is at 85 F.

--------------------
08/2/07 Inoculated mycobag with Brazilian, 3cc
08/08/07 First mycelium show
09/03/07 Brazilian still colonizing, Three Mycobags inoculated with Koi Somui
10/11/07 2 Pint PESA 100% colonized. 1 pint Amazon 90% colonized
10/12/07 Storage bin perite FC constructed
10/28/07 Havested my First ever flush, of PESA!

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Fisrt time shroom grower, can this set up work (mycobag)... [Re: katfish]
    #7257070 - 08/03/07 08:52 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I think that was just the way he positioned the block right before he harvested them.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds