Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Postng out of linux
    #3099877 - 09/06/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Wow mandrakemove is awesome :smile: This is the first time I have ever gotten my internet,sound,videocard and everything else to work on linux. I just might have the balls to switch over to mandrake 10 soon :smile: for people who are interestexd in linux but scared of it, mandraqke move is the way to go.  :smile: Just make sure you go download mozilla after you get it cuz Konqueror sucks:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

Re: Postng out of linux [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #3099909 - 09/06/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

how stable is linux, like in the long run? and do you think that somebody with just basic knowledge of computers like me could use linux? basically, all i do is use the internet and maybe a simple game or two every once in a while...

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Postng out of linux [Re: felix]
    #3099927 - 09/06/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Any computer user with a decent amount of sense (not your I have a computer with a billion viri and ad programs) can use mandrake linux. Now other linux distros are a different story. I tried Debian last night and was utterly confused about what to do, I couldnt get an X11 session to start for the life of me. But if you wanna try linux there is absolutely no risk with MandrakeMove, it boots from your cdrom! When you want to go back to windows just take out the cdrom and restart your computer :smile: It is truly amazing technology in my opinion.

Keep in mind however that if you want to use linux you WILL have to learn a few things, but it pays off in the long run and you will be very satisfied with yourself and your computer system :smile:

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3099953 - 09/06/04 05:02 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

wow, that seems pretty cool that it boots from the cdrom. i'm definitely gonna look into that.

my main peeve about windows in general after years of using different editions of windows, it seems that the quality of microsoft degenerates over time. like my comp getting slower and slower, even if i clean it up. just generally more and more problems as time goes by. until of course, i get the new microsoft windows edition and the cycle slowly starts over again.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3099962 - 09/06/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Not to mention the tons of viri and adware and everythying else designed for windows. Linux is a lot better, and the coolest thing about mandrakemove is that you can do practically everything the normal person wants to do right from the start. There is no installation or anything. You can watch divx movies, all kinds of shit,listen to mp3s, browse the web, chat on irc, etc etc. all with free software, so ytou dont have to go hunting for cracks all the fucking time :smile:

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#3099997 - 09/06/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

sounds fucking great. why the hell would anybody buy this stupid windows shit...linux needs to advertise more or something - steal a couple billion of microsoft's revenue.

--------------------

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3100012 - 09/06/04 05:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I know man :smile: I would be so happy if linux became mainstream. I think Microsoft should be sued for monopoly in the OS market anyway, it is ridiculous. If they would allow their directX bs and other stuff to be integrated ointo linux just think what could happen :smile:

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3100052 - 09/06/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Now Im posting out of Windows :smile: Thats the power of MandrakeMove :smile: hehehe

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #3100159 - 09/06/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

the reason why linux is not mainstream is that people have a hard time using windows as it is, you'd be suppprised how stupid people can be when it comes to computers. So you'll notice that companies know linux is more reliable, so they use it for their servers, but have windows for the employee's.... it takes a bit of learning to use linux, something companies dont want to do, cause they know that people would charge out the ass to do computer based training.

linux is becoming easier to use, so i suspect that it will be getting more and more popular as the days go by....

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Postng out of linux [Re: Phychotron]
    #3103178 - 09/07/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

All true all true. However mandrake is now so easy that non computer morons (people who are decent with computers but not great) can easily ease into it. I dont think it has much to do with application support anymore except with hardcore gamers, and with wine becoming more advanced all the time soon you may have complete cross compatibility (crosses fingers).

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3103381 - 09/07/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phychotron said:
the reason why linux is not mainstream is that people have a hard time using windows as it is, you'd be supprised how stupid people can be when it comes to computers. So you'll notice that companies know linux is more reliable, so they use it for their servers, but have windows for the employee's.... it takes a bit of learning to use linux, something companies dont want to do, cause they know that people would charge out the ass to do computer based training.

I've been paid a great deal of money to train corporate employees how to use their windows' programs. I've also been paid a great deal to maintain corporate windows' desktops. The fact is companies do have to pay out the ass for computer based training. The same exact money could easily provide enough training to get people to learn linux at work. It's a choice companies make that has, with time, proven to be unwise. I suspect the primary reason for this choice to be the fact that M$ did make their operating system easier to use for a non-programmer at a time when linux was strictly for programmers. Thus, home users adopted Windows long before linux was vying for home user's money. If the people deciding what operating system should be used at work are using windows at home then, well...

Quote:

linux is becoming easier to use, so i suspect that it will be getting more and more popular as the days go by....

In many ways this has meant emulating windows but with flair. Thankfully there are many aspects of linux that are hard to learn which is precisely why it's so damn useful. Linux is like an infinite digital gerber tool because anyone who can dream the tool can realise it.

Linux has been getting it's name out there in a lot of ways. M$ plays dirty in a lot of ways and it has done well to keep linux down in many respects. Do not doubt for one second that DMCA and DRM legislature isn't specifically targeted at the OSS audience with M$ being the Pawn ready to be Queened.

as to the original poster's concerns about stability... hahahahahahahahahaha
seriously

comparing windows stability to linux stability is like comparing the titanic to a modern nuclear polar submarine.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Postng out of linux [Re: debianlinux]
    #3105102 - 09/07/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yea, if linux had more of a curtain over it like windows,  (lindows, but i've never tried it) it would be great.  The stability of linux, with the look and ease of use as windows,  but then all the great possiblitiies of linux, without HAVING to make people learn to use the 'advanced features"... it would be the ultimate operating system.  i dont know how well lindows or the other M$-linux's work, but i know my way around windows fairly well, and to re-learn everything is whack... like if i could get the exact GUI as win2k with a linux core,  that would be totaly awesome...

i wonder how well bill gates uses linux? cause you know he's tried it out, and bieng a nerd, i'm sure he even likes it (in an operating sence) but is forced to hate it for the competition it creates.  :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #3105133 - 09/07/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i think with some of the linux "shells" out there (Gnome, KDE, or whatever you want to use) Linux can be as easy to use as Windows... it's just the install process that is a bit more involved, and even that is being made easier and easier.

Linux is definitely the way to go!

--------------------

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Postng out of linux [Re: Krishna]
    #3105383 - 09/07/04 07:58 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

yea, i want to use linux, but i havent gotten around to it, it's something you have to be converted to for sure. it would help if i had a person who knew what they were doing to personaly show me a thing or two... ya know"?

--------------------

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3107294 - 09/08/04 07:00 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Im telling you guys, mandrake has a totally graphical installation that is as easy to installl as windows. The only thing people need to worry about is having a winmodem (software based modems that only run under winblows). But if you do, check out linmodem.com (ithink, maybe .net or .org), they have instructions on getting certain winmodems to work under linux. Of course if you have broadband as do I you dont need to worry about this at all :P.

I installed mandrake 10 yesterday and yes, it is a bit difficult to get used, but not because it is hard really, because I have been a windows user for like 10 friggin years :P Old habits die hard as always, but I think linux us definately a more reliable, cost efficient, advanced, and useful operating system.

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #3109670 - 09/08/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I made a Knoppix boot disc a few days ago. I can't wait to try it out.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Postng out of linux [Re: abhi]
    #3109872 - 09/08/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

i made a knoppix disc awhile ago, but it never worked, so i didnt re-burn it to see what was going on.

--------------------

OfflinedmbPhan
Rider of theStorm
    #3110111 - 09/08/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

About three years ago i too decided to make the switch. I had been experimenting with linux for about a year before that, but i finally decided it was time to go for it. I opted to install slackware (you learn a great deal more than many of the newbie distro's, but it isnt very hard to setup) and was very happy with it for a while. After i tried gentoo i then switched to it, but wasnt very happy but was lazy and just left it. I then decided to install OpenBSD on my server.. now thats one tough cookike, but i handled it. Well recently my openbsd server broke, which was also my router so i got really fed up with *nix in general. my linux computer had been having issues, and i was just too busy to deal with them. So i became one of the few to switch back to windows. Windows is perfectly suitable for most people who just browse the net, listen to music, etc. As long as someone is smart, takes a little bit of time to learn about computers, and is just aware of the shit out there, there is no reason to worry about things in windows. So i guess the point of this post it that after 3+ years of being a linux user, i now use windows. Dont hate :P

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3112025 - 09/09/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I am in the process of switching over to linux. fuck m$ & all the crap associated with it.

I am trying out a few distros. One I really like so far is: http://www.libranet.com - it is based on debian & is real good. check out the reviews: http://www.libranet.com/reviews.html

eventually I'd like to do a gentoo install, but I'm not sure if I understand linux enough just yet. the stages looks daunting.

Offlinetomu
Surveyor

Loc: Oslo
    #3112029 - 09/09/04 01:57 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'd say ditch Windows, install Linux. It's nice. You can have it do what you'd like it to do, and it can look however you want it to.
It's all free. It should also give you good conscience.

HONK IF YOU  :heart: MICRO$OFT

--------------------
"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder