Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: frith]
    #14319870 - 04/19/11 09:16 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
chill dude.. why so much hate?

Quote:

blujay said:
I suppose you play the latest games

the games i do play (which are few) run natively on linux. if i really wanted to play games i would just use the xbox.

Quote:

blujay said:
run Photoshop

i dont like Adobe products. i use Gimp, Inkscape, and Scribus pretty much daily. if i was on a Mac or Windows machine where i was able to run Adobe stuff natively i still wouldnt.. i prefer the stuff i have now.

Quote:

blujay said:
do Folding@Home on it

not on the thinkpad.. i do that on the server. that has had a single linux install for about 3 years without any reinstall. it also hasnt been rebooted in over 6 months.

Quote:

blujay said:
& frequent "Dubious Downloads.Com" too?

if you are talking about bittorrent then yes, i do. i can guarantee my setup blows yours out of the water.

i think your biggest problem is that you are confusing familiarity with usability.

Quote:

bradley said:
Like I will need a driver, and there is none. The linux community will say "oh, you can just write your own!"

it hasnt been like that for a long long time.

there are generally no drivers for brand new hardware but that isnt the fault of linux.. the community has to reverse engineer the drivers because the manufacturers refuse to release info about the devices. if you wait like 6 months after a product is released you are fine 99% of the time.

-Starcraft II & other such modern PC games
-Video game consoles blow the dick of even midrange setups
-Using half a dozen so/so applications in place of a comprehensive studio. There's a reason it's an industry standard.
-Obviously you don't need to reinstall a server. i just got done saying three times this is a strong point of Linux.
-Your torrent setup can't really blow any other torrent setup out of the water. Mine does have a proxy. It works or it doesn't and you get so much bandwidth as you pay for.
-I think your biggest problem is that you assume nobody would defend Windows.

--------------------

wat man rly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: Epigallo]
    #14319882 - 04/19/11 09:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bradley said:
I don't care if it is the community's "fault", I care if it works.

Exactly. What. I. Just. Said.

The same reason businesses use Windows for their accountant's desktops, they use Linux for the server they store the data in.

Or at the least, they keep a copy if it's a Windows server.

--------------------

wat man rly

Offlineblujay
pass it b*ch!
Male User Gallery

Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: blujay]
    #14319887 - 04/19/11 09:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Saying one is better than the other completely is like saying a hammer is more useful than a mallet.

:maximumtrolling:

--------------------

wat man rly

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

#14319895 - 04/19/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

--
>>You'll also spend hours trying to get codecs and file >>extensions supported that are basic in Windows,
--
Odd, I have not had any issue. I listen to wide array of audio and video formats, and none have given me any issue.
Perhaps you have an example?

--
>>struggle with complex instructions written by people who >>grew up with UNIX that ask you to use command lines >>without explaining syntax,
--
True, instructions can be complex. Some man pages are a bit terse or over my head at times. But on a plane with windows I find the documentation superior. Furthermore, the user community that exists and the resources on the web is far superior. Sure, there is greater variety, but for the average person they will likely be using a popular distro will fantastic support.

But the power of a *NIX Shell when understood is much more powerful than anything windows has to offer, even with putty.

--
>>have difficulty taking advantage of your hardware
>>due to driver support
--
True, I cannot take advantage of my fingerprint reader. Well, I never really tried. I am happy that my USB,ESTATA,and HDMI ports work on my laptop. In fact, I am more satisfied in using WIFI in a linux environment than I am with windows.

--
>>be limited in intensive software application
>>and if you do try to go the Wine route, end up
>>with hours spent tweaking only to get the same
>>program running half as well with features not >>functional.
--

OK, I get it. You dislike linux and are throwing everything at us to convince us otherwise. I suppose you are not familiar with a virtual machine (VM). I use one daily. For some reason the company I work for still uses an access database they have had for over 15 years. While open office does work quite well with word and excel it doesn't handle .accdX files too well.

But I can switch seamlessly between linux and win7. Performance wise I have had no issues. I work in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator daily in my VM. I suppose if I was into gaming I could do that as well. It is a legit windows installation.

--
>>You can forget about all the obscure and >>unsupported/abandoned user-created content
>>that just (barely) works on Windows, it'll
>>definitely just not work in Linux, with few
>>exceptions.
--

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. But why would I want to use software that barely works in the first place?

--
>>Windows is prone to "clog up" if
>>you're a dumbass. Programs don't
>>install themselves, and if you
>>can't install a fresh copy of Windows
>>somehow I think Linux is going to be
>>a stretch.
--
A Dumbass will do a lot of dumb things. However, for a stereotypical unsavy computer user they wont install either. They will use what they are given. My Mother for instance will use what I install, and be happy as long as she can check her email, surf the internet. She may be on a few hours a week. Linux is the safer and smarter choice for her. She is statistically less likely to fall pry to malware or viruses. I suppose technology newbies are not expected to do a lot, but I hesitate to call my mother a dumbass.

--
>>Windows 7 driver support has
>>been exceptional, to the point
>>of generic drivers hoodwinking
>>me into playing video games with
>>them for a few days before noticing
>>my lack of Nvidea panel.
--
I cannot really comment to that, but this has not always been the case for Microsoft. Nor has it for linux. Both products seem to have matured a bit in terms of support.

--
>>Linux has it's kicks, and it's good that
>>it's around, but it's the pariah of
>>unnecessary effort. Ultimately, dual boot
>>setups win.
--
I would encourage you to setup a VM if you foresee a need to dualboot. There is no problem in setting up the VM in windows to run linux, but I prefer the opposite. Dual boots can be a hassle if you have to stop in the middle of a project to boot up windows to fix a problem someone has in Access. Which reminds me, why are they using access in the first place!

--
>>Linux I find is best for specific
>>jobs you need to be stable and invulnerable,
>>such as servers and other proprietary applications
>>like portable-OS disks.
--

I think this may have been true at one point, but is not very accurate today. Although, your assertion that it is best for jobs that require stability is accurate.

--
>>Windows, for all intensive purposes, is free.
>>Microsoft seems to pursue business applications
>>that steal hundreds of copies, but never the
>>broke individual that digitally hijacked the
>>latest version- even if your copy isn't validated
>>by a key, the OS still functions just fine,
>>granted with 2-4hour cold shutdowns and
>>no desktop image, from what I could tell.
--

Sounds awfully inconvenient and propriety to me. Windows is far from free, and the programs that make windows needed for some. Adobe Products, Games, and Office Applications are hardly free. Sure you can hijack things. but 2-4hr cold shutdowns are not kosher. I would have to shutdown 4 times on an average work day? get out of here.

--
>>Embedded Linux system design and development
>>Read this, bitch. Linux is great for that
>>science balloon probe, robot contest, and
>>dedicated media-streaming device.
--

Your information is a bit dated. While you readily admit that linux changes dramatically every two years (RE: too fast for you) you provide us with a source dated 5 years ago. Factoring in time to write nearly that is nearly 3 iterations!

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #14319994 - 04/19/11 09:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

blujay said:
-Using half a dozen so/so applications in place of a comprehensive studio. There's a reason it's an industry standard.

the reason its a standard is because it was first to market and Adobe has a marketing team to sell it. open source projects that have been around half as long (with only a handful of developers) have to rely solely on word of mouth.

a lot of the features of Adobe products like Photoshop are conveniences more than anything else. there are of course a few major things that the Gimp lacks (like CMYK support) but 99% of the time there is nothing you can do in Photoshop that i cant do with open source tools.

its not the tool, its the artist who can make something special.

--------------------

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: frith]
    #14320046 - 04/19/11 09:51 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I use apple, which is unix based.  I've been using it for about 7 years and will never go back to windows.  I have been thinking about installing ubuntu on my old dell.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: 4HO-DMT]
    #14320248 - 04/19/11 10:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

physicist said:
I use apple, which is unix based.  I've been using it for about 7 years and will never go back to windows.  I have been thinking about installing ubuntu on my old dell.

It's actually BSD based.  UNIX is a very specific OS - just nitpicking really, but you can either say it's *NIX based, or BSD based, but it's not UNIX based.

Invisible4HO-DMT
 User Gallery

Loc: County Line Road
Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14320289 - 04/19/11 10:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

physicist said:

It's actually BSD based.  UNIX is a very specific OS - just nitpicking really, but you can either say it's *NIX based, or BSD based, but it's not UNIX based.

Thanks.  I didn't know that.  I use that xterm all the time to do programming, and I thought that it was unix based.

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: who here uses Linux? [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14320309 - 04/19/11 10:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

physicist said:

actually, BSD is basically UNIX. the only reason BSD distributions are referred to as BSD instead of UNIX is because they dont pay the licensing fee to be allowed to call it UNIX. Apple pays this fee so it is allowed to say UNIX.

it all comes from the same place and uses the same code though.

yes, its stupid but true.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale