Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11823947 - 01/13/10 05:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:dontspillme:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Edited by blewmeanie (01/23/10 01:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRationalEgo
Principium Individuationis

Loc: Boston
Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: frith]
    #11823976 - 01/13/10 06:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

RationalEgo said:
I did like Sabayon, PC Linux and Mepis. But Ubuntu takes the biscuit a far as ease of use, speed and out of the box driver support goes. I'm just not a fan of having to recompile the kernel and install random drivers from scratch. I can understand why some computer geeks might love the Gentoo format for total power over every aspect of their system, but for me Ubuntu is quite enough.

when i started i used Ubuntu. it was great for giving me a stable system to get up and running but i wanted more control and to learn more about linux.

Slackware was where i went next. i love Slackware but eventually i just got tired of hunting down dependencies.

Arch is the only thing i use at all anymore. its the lazy mans Slackware :smile:

Arch is really easy though once you get used to doing all your configurations via text files.. really not a big deal.

However much I love knowledge, I'm just not all that interested in the in depth aspects of my computer. As long as it runs quick, compile programs, use my firewall properly, remote desktop from time to time, problem solve when things go wrong and use various pieces of software I need, that's all I care about.  Ubuntu is GREAT (and free) for everything I do.

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11824021 - 01/13/10 06:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah. 90% of the applications i use are text based.

mpd, ssh, mutt, irssi, finch, rtorrent, etc.

firefox, mplayer and thunar are really the only gui applications i use on a regular basis.

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #11824135 - 01/13/10 06:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

When you say text based do you mean you access it through the terminal or do you go out of xwindow and go completely text based?

I'm just getting into linux and I really don't have the resources to throw into learning.

Right now I have ubuntu dual booting on my laptop and it's impossible to force my NIC driver to run on linux.  So, without that I can't DL media players, torrent programsm, ect, ect, to expose any other problems to fix.

I should install it on my tower at home but unfortunately my ethernet port crapped out on me so I need to buy a new NIC.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: Idiot]
    #11824391 - 01/13/10 07:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

it depends what im doing.

my chat, file, print, and web server dont have a monitor connected at all. i use ssh to connect to it and do everything from the command line.

my home theater machine runs XBMC for video, mpd for music, and rtorrent for bittorrent. i control everything on that machine from my android phone.

the thinkpad boots to a gui but i use tiling window mangers. they are extremely lightweight and i use the keyboard to control the majority of it.

listen to the episodes of Linux Reality. even just as your driving around you learn so much and its explained perfectly.
http://www.linuxreality.com/archives.php

--------------------

Offlineupinthetrees
.Ease through your Mind.
Male

Loc: P/N/W
Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: Idiot]
    #11824598 - 01/13/10 07:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Idiot said:
When you say text based do you mean you access it through the terminal or do you go out of xwindow and go completely text based?

I'm just getting into linux and I really don't have the resources to throw into learning.

Right now I have ubuntu dual booting on my laptop and it's impossible to force my NIC driver to run on linux.  So, without that I can't DL media players, torrent programsm, ect, ect, to expose any other problems to fix.

I should install it on my tower at home but unfortunately my ethernet port crapped out on me so I need to buy a new NIC.

Which version of ubuntu?
I just installed 9.10 on my HP laptop and the wireless driver (along with every other driver) worked perfectly fine from the get-go.

--------------------

I want to show you life for what it's worth, from beginning to end from when your life was first launched 'till when it descends back to earth. From pyramiding at it's peak 'till when it turns back into dirt..

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: upinthetrees]
    #11824643 - 01/13/10 07:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i think ubuntu has the restricted driver manager thing too.

from what i understand its a one click install for pretty much any driver out there.

dont know how well it works though.

--------------------

Offlineupinthetrees
.Ease through your Mind.
Male

Loc: P/N/W
    #11824665 - 01/13/10 07:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know what it is but it sure works nicely!
Ever since I put Ubuntu on here, I haven't gone back to windows 7 once.

--------------------

I want to show you life for what it's worth, from beginning to end from when your life was first launched 'till when it descends back to earth. From pyramiding at it's peak 'till when it turns back into dirt..

Invisiblefrith
God

#11824699 - 01/13/10 07:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #11824747 - 01/13/10 08:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I used to have an early version but then some one suggested do update and I did, still no luck. 

I have a broadcom chipset and apparently ubuntu is hit or miss when it comes to broadcom.

Firth:
I will diffidently check out those podcasts, and even though I've been asking everyone how to configure drivers no one has ever told me about the restricted driver manager so next time I get a chance I'll look into that and see if that changes anything.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Loc: Canada Flag
    #11824749 - 01/13/10 08:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Haven't read the thread, but Linux doesn't suck, however Flash sucks gigantic monkey balls.  Some of the worst, least streamlined software that's out there today.

OfflineSpiralout112
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary
    #11824763 - 01/13/10 08:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've reinstalled linux systems so many times because of random failures that nobody can explain... But in the last couple years its really gotten better, ubuntu is very very easy to use, and google will cover you if you feel like getting fancy.

Right now im running 2 file/web servers. One a 1.1ghz Anthalon XP :P, keeps chugging away so im keeping it as a backup server :smile: Also finished putting together a beautiful new file server, quad core, nice little Antec P180mini case which is the best case ever! Got 4tb in her right now, with plenty of room for more, especially with VFS, easy as putting in a cdrom almost :smile: And on my desktop im running linux mint which is based off of ubuntu except so much better, really awesome os, if only I could get planetside to run in it :frown:

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #11824783 - 01/13/10 08:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah flash sucks. hopefully site can start to drop support for shitty old browsers and use HTML5 with the built in theora support.

not perfect but it would give an alternative to flash video.

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Loc: Canada Flag
    #11824789 - 01/13/10 08:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

99% of the time Flash is unnecessary.  People use it for the stupidest shit.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: blewmeanie]
    #11824811 - 01/13/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:
I don't want your advise on how to fix it, I just wanted to rant.

did you know you can kick and scream and bang your head on the keyboard
and even punch your monitor with your fists... it makes upgrading smoother

That's pretty much my plan, though for now I'm settling with downgrading to an older version of flashplayer.

I'm always reluctant to upgrade any software lately, the last dozen of
so have caused shit to stop working or freeze, I think I'll fall back to
WindowsME so I can practice my cussing

Invisiblefrith
God

Re: Have I mentioned lately how much I fucking hate linux [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11824826 - 01/13/10 08:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

HA! id have to kill myself if i ever used ME again.

Arch is all bleeding edge packages. however they do it it works.. never have any issues.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #11824879 - 01/13/10 08:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RationalEgo said:
Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

RationalEgo said:
Linux is seriously the best OS I have ever used, especially the Ubuntu distro. It allows me complete control over my system.

:thumbup: personally, im not a huge fan of ubuntu but i see why people like it. i like really getting my hands dirty.

RP: was just reading some old posts. try and run throught the episodes of this podcast if you can. this is how i learned what i know about linux. everyone i know that has really given it a listen has really enjoyed it.
http://linuxreality.com/archives.php

I did like Sabayon, PC Linux and Mepis. But Ubuntu takes the biscuit a far as ease of use, speed and out of the box driver support goes. I'm just not a fan of having to recompile the kernel and install random drivers from scratch. I can understand why some computer geeks might love the Gentoo format for total power over every aspect of their system, but for me Ubuntu is quite enough.

I liked sabayon, and even ran pure gentoo for a while, and yes, it is a pain in the ass...i really didn't like gentoo.  Though im not a huge fan of ubuntu either, it does have its place...its the windows of the linux world IMO.

Quote:

frith said:
Quote:

RationalEgo said:

when i started i used Ubuntu. it was great for giving me a stable system to get up and running but i wanted more control and to learn more about linux.

Slackware was where i went next. i love Slackware but eventually i just got tired of hunting down dependencies.

Arch is the only thing i use at all anymore. its the lazy mans Slackware :smile:

Arch is really easy though once you get used to doing all your configurations via text files.. really not a big deal.

As a fellow Arch user of many years, i must say, Arch = WIN.

I have even been running flash 10 for months on my 64 bit setup without probs...its as easy as one command to install it

pacman -Sy flashplugin

just run that as root, and its done, im also dumbfounded on how u got messed up installing flash....

peace

Edited by supra (01/14/10 06:00 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder