Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

WBS TO DRY?
    #3079559 - 09/01/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It seems like this kids wbs is loosing mositure do to it's surrounding environment(humidity outside = 10%) What would you guys suggest to do about keeping the WBS moist while incubating.

A LITTLE INFO
It was been over 1 week and no signs of MYC. No signs of contam either, so that is a good thing.

He has 9 jars and 3 were perpared 9 days ago and 6 were prepared 8 days ago 1 Tupperware(Tupperware is just millet) prepared 7 days ago.

Tuppaware = GT QT Jars = B

He paid particular attention two sterilization and cleanliness. He also varied the amounts of water to see which would best benefit the
spores.

He opened the Tupperware today to find that it was particular dry. Way to dry to geminate In his oppionion.

All grains are incubated in the double Rubbermaid with a 5 gallon aquarium heater under neath. Temp has been between 80 and 84 inside the Rubbermaid.

Air exhange is provided by a tyvek filter with a 1/4 drill bit hole.

The only conclusion he has came up with is it that the dessert has sucked all his mositure out of the jars.

Any help would be much appreciated, if you need any more info I can beat it out this kid really easy. Thanks rezzan1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: rezzan1]
    #3079580 - 09/01/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

How did you prepare the grain?

--------------------

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: mockeylock]
    #3079713 - 09/01/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

First batch
Soaked WBS for 12 hours, and drained thoroughly, then simmered the first three jars for 30 minutes and PC ed for 1 hour. then put in a sterile rubbermade with tinfoil to cool

Second Batch
WBS Rinsed and then each got 2 2/3 of wbs and then starting with

1 jar got 1 and 1/3 water
2 jars got 2 cups of water
2 jars got 2 and 2/3 cups water
and the last jar got 3 and 1/3 cup of water

pc'ed for 1 hour than cooled in a sterile rubbermaid container

Tuppaware
4 cups of millet that had soaked in water for 24 hours and then simmered in pot for 30 min. pc'ed for 1 hour than cooled in freezer due to it being tuppaware. Also had a bottom 1/4 in. casing of vermiclulite and peat moss 80/20 sterilized in microwave for 6 min. nice and moist. Also added hydrated lime until P.H. was a nuetral 7.

All were prepared with 2 layers of tin foil, all were pc'd at 15 psi. All water was reverse osmosis water or distilled. All jars had 1 hole drilled for innoculation and one drilled for air exchange.

Innoculation
First batch was done in sterile room/bathroom very clean and organized. No air moving. Lighter was used to heat the needle until red, than was put directly to a papertowel with 90% alcohol to cool. Jar was innoculated than the whole was covered with a band aid and put into incubator same, needle went back to papertowell with alcohol.
He wore a dust mask during all work

Second batch was exactly the same but done in the kitchen with the oven warmed to 260 degrees to prevent any contams.

Third same as second.

First and second were done with the B+ and the third were done with GT. syringes were shaken violenty before use and stored for 1 week in a dark cool place.

This friend of mine is fucking anal and maticulate when it comes to details. You would not want to be this guys wife J/K. He wants to think of every possible problem before the syringe. So I am really sorry for long post in all but thanks for your help.

Oh yeah he washed his hands and used germ x

Offlinemockeylock
head
 User Gallery

#3079759 - 09/01/04 08:32 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Were they vendor syringes you used? Homemade?

--------------------

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: mockeylock]
    #3079788 - 09/01/04 08:36 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Vendor

He is new to grains and not very qualified to determine if they are to dry or not. But they seemed farly dry in his humble opionion

Edited by rezzan1 (09/01/04 08:46 PM)

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3079906 - 09/01/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It is possiable to add sterial water into jars but, this dosn't work very well.

Preparing any grain is as follows.This for me works every time with any grain. Rye,rice,millet,birdseed and popcorn etc.... These I do just like this.

24 hour soak in water
Simmer on med heat until grains just start to split open
Drain very,very well. I spread my out on the table and towel dry it.
Fill jars 75%
PC

But your biggest mistake was all that experimenting you did with the amounts of water :confused: Why not just read some info found in the shrommery Fact section???? There you will find all the information neseccary for a successful Grow. :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Goodluck on your next try :tongue2:

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: Fucknuckle]
    #3079965 - 09/01/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

this is a totally noob question, but i could not find the answer in the faq. what the hell is wbs? some sort of wheat grain i assume?

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3079966 - 09/01/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

it's pretty hard to add water as fucknuckle said. I've heard of people getting their substrates dried out because of hepa filters before, I guess the dessert was sorta like a giant hepa in this case :p

i'de wait it out a little more. It's very likely it will grow, but slowly. Maybe try getting a tub/perlite/fish pump humidifier (mostly cuz its as cheap as it gets) to try and get a more moist enviroment, although I dunno if that might not be overkill : /

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3079969 - 09/01/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

My friend will be doing a few more grains for practice of course, and will be using a different syringe. He will try again.

Fucknuckle
Hypothetically if you were or your friend were to open your grains in a week(if they had not colonized) what would you expect the mosture level to fill like?

I just read in another post that tyvek will prevent humidity from escaping. Is this true? If it is than that is more than likely not his problem it has to be something else.

He showed me a few jars that on the glass you can see moisture that has accumulated around individual grains. In his opionion it is not Bacillus sp. it does not look evan similar to the pics he has seen of Bacillus sp.

Thanks

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3079977 - 09/01/04 09:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

WBS is mostly millet - you can soak 12-24 hours and simmer 20-30 minutes or go with the quick way 175 g WBS to 100 g water.

Offlinerezzan1
Namumsawitch
 User Gallery

#3079989 - 09/01/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

theknighterrant

WBS = Wet bird Seed consists of mostly millet grains

InvisibleFucknuckle
Dog Lover

#3080043 - 09/01/04 09:15 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

When I have quart jars of grain with the correct amount of water in them. The myc. where it has fully colinized the grain is covered in droplits of water. Almost to the point of making some of the myc. yellow.

I once in the begining of learning culitivation had some jars of grain go too dry. They seemed to stop growing about half way.
I dumped all the jars out and gathered up all the lumps of myc and crumbled them into a pan and soaked over night covered in water. In the morning I cased it. It did very well thankyou  :thumbup: :wink:

So what I am saying even if you end up with a bunch of half grown dried out lumps of myc and grain. It can still be used.

Just get it right next time around

--------------------
What it is, is what it is my Brother.
It is as it is, so suffer thru it.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3081330 - 09/02/04 04:27 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

WBS = Wild Bird Seed

Not having holes in your jars, or at least using a polyfill plug or filter, will go a long way towards keeping the moisture content the same. Anytime you have an uncovered hole letting moisture out you are in a race to colonize before it dries out.

Tyvek is easy to get, so maybe you should try that. I've never bothered with it though.

Using ventilation with spores is debatable, but if you are using liquid mycelium inoculate I wouldn't use the holes.

Liquid is by far the best way to go. Just shoot 1 cc of spores into a liquid jar and you're set. You can do 100 jars with the one you just made, and you will have 9/10ths of your syringe left in reserve.

-FF

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: fastfred]
    #3081364 - 09/02/04 04:43 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, i ebelieve he said he used tyvek for the air exchange, works great. For your humidity problems you could put weather stripping around tupperware container that, the jars or whatever you have you wbs in, to seal it off from the deserts lack of humididity and then mist a couple times to get the humididty up in the container. After that put a hygrometer in it to measure and regulate it and you should be good. To actually rehydrate the jar is a different matter.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: WBS TO DRY? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3081457 - 09/02/04 05:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I'd just shoot a syringe of sterilized water into some of them. Dryness can be a big problem for germinating spores. Liquid myc would rip through it, but sometimes spores have a hard time germinating unless it's pretty damp. I've seen plenty of people having problems with germinating spores on rye.

I noticed that he did use the tyvek when I reread the post... I'm looking at a tyvek envelope right now, and I'm not too impressed. When I first looked at it I thought that it wouldn't stop contams. There are obvious strands and lightspots when you hold it up to the light, and little specks of light here and there that looked like tiny holes. I also tried to blow through it and couldn't seem to get any air through it, so now I'm wondering if it is even effective for air exchange.

I don't know what to think about it. Has anyone done a comparison with a sealed jar to see if it even works?

-FF

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3081472 - 09/02/04 05:35 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

It does work wonders. The air exchange is slow. It doesnt move real fast like you could blow through it. YES it does allow for air exchange. It was developed by dupont for this type of thing, well maybe not THIS type of use, but definatley for shipping of items that would need aid exchange. Works very well. Yes i have done a comparison with BRF/Verm and it did help quite a bit.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3081484 - 09/02/04 05:41 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Cool that's awesome. Did you have a good sample size for your experiment?

You're right now that I think about it. They use it on buildings that need air exchange. I remember when somebody used plastic on a roof instead of tyvek and they had to tear most of it off and redo it.

-FF

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3081499 - 09/02/04 05:48 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

12 jars of each. I guess i could make it bigger but didnt really feel like it.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3081693 - 09/02/04 07:22 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

That's a decent size... Have you tried it with grain in quart jars?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3081701 - 09/02/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

No I haven't tried the experiment in grain quart jars yet. They colonize so fast that i dont even worry about it. I havent gone over 9 days for full colonization yet so im not going to worry about it. I always use tyvek on the jars.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom