Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
An example of liberal media bias
    #3067751 - 08/30/04 03:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

For the Democratic and Republican conventions CNN has been running an hourlong special on each of the candidates, one called 'John Kerry:Born to Run', and the other 'The Mission of George W. Bush'.

The Kerry one is full of glowing interviews about Kerry, and lots of personal interviews with the candidate himself. The Bush one features no interviews with Bush himself, and few from any of his supporters. In fact, most of the people featured are hostile to Bush. While barely any of Kerry's special is focused on criticism of him, a huge portion of the Bush is given over to his critics.

Watching the Mission of George W. Bush I really got the sense that whoever did the piece was making a half-assed attempt at being objective, but couldn't possibly see anything positive about Bush. Kind of like if Newt Ginrich got hired to write an unbiased report on Bill Clinton. The Kerry special on the other hand was practically a campaign add with its positive and personal tone.

I don't think they are showing the Kerry one anymore, but I encourage everyone to watch both of these specials and see for themselves. I don't have any doubts over who CNN wants to win this November.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: An example of liberal media bias [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3067775 - 08/30/04 03:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If there was liberal bias it WOULD have included interviews with Bush. Particularly the one where he couldn't name the leader of India:

Hiller asked Bush to name the leaders of Chechnya, Taiwan, India and Pakistan. Bush was only able to give a partial response to the query on the leader of Taiwan, referring to Taiwanese President Lee Teng-hui simply as "Lee." He could not name the others.

"Can you name the general who is in charge of Pakistan?" Hiller asked, inquiring about Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf, who seized control of the country October 12.

"Wait, wait, is this 50 questions?" asked Bush.

Hiller replied: "No, it's four questions of four leaders in four hot spots." . . .

Bush, in answering the question about the leader of Pakistan, also said: "The new Pakistani general, he's just been elected -- not elected, this guy took over office. It appears this guy is going to bring stability to the country and I think that's good news for the subcontinent."

Not only did Bush not know who General Pervez Musharraf was, he seems to have confused coup-making with "taking office," and moreover went on to suggest that the overthrow of an elected prime minister and the installation in power of the Pakistan military, then the world's strongest supporter of the Taliban, would bring "stability!" Musharraf made his coup in part because of the military's anger over Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's willingness to back down from confronting India over Kashmir, so that he explicitly came to power as a warmonger.

http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/6142.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #3067787 - 08/30/04 03:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3068044 - 08/30/04 07:13 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'd have to see these specials for themselves. People's own biases tend to affect how they watch certain programs, so forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical about your claims. Not that I don't think you're telling the truth, just that you may have been seeing in them what you wanted to see.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3068647 - 08/30/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The way I evaluated the programs was on how much time was given to the particular candidate and how much time was given to their detractors. Kerry's had alot of interviews with him and people that liked him, Bush's featured mostly talking heads that didn't like him, some neuteral ones, and a few little snippets of Laura Bush and Colin Powell.

Judging by the distance CNN had in the Bush special, compared to the personal feeling of the Kerry show, and the amount of time given to the respective sides in their own program it appears clear to me that CNN favors Kerry and dislikes Bush. It's not that CNN is outright hostile to Bush, it's that they barely let his side get a word in in his own special, and featured so many people that were hostile to him.
Honestly, there was more of Bush in the Laura Bush program!

I encourage you to watch them for yourself.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion