Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ...
    #3243680 - 10/11/04 05:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sir Harold Evans is a journalist who has lived in the US for the last 20 years. He feels that many media organisations have a deep fear of being labelled liberal or anti-republican. Regarding the recent case of the suspect memo released by CB he says "The eagerness with which the press piled on Dan Rather was also reflective of this terror of being called liberal. I dont know where this phantom got its potency from" Nor do I, but if the recent events at Indymedia are anything to go by the phantom will only get stronger.
He also recalls an incident from four years ago involving journalist Tina Brown who had a solid story regarding Bush and his failure to disclose holdings he held in various companies. She tried to sell the story to CNN and apparently was told by Tom Johnson "I wouldnt dream of touching that story about George Bush during an election year" Nobody would touch it and it wasnt untilthree years later that the Boston Globe finally looked at the story.
He also points to a time when prior to an appearance on CNN by Senator Jo Biden CNN actually flashed up a warning that the views of the senator in no way reflected their own!!

So is the idea of extreme liberal bias really a crafty conspiracy to keep the liberal elements of the media in check?

Discuss!!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: GazzBut]
    #3243702 - 10/11/04 05:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I would say that liberal media bias exists and has existed for quite some time. Liberals would never even talk about bias until Fox News came on line. Bias was something that could never happen, until it was happening to them. Then they started to acknowledge that news can be slanted.

It is funny actually. They go for decades laughing off bias, and then when a conservative news station becomes the #1 rated cable news station in America they scream bloody murder. Kudos to Rupert Murdock for planting one right in the kisser. I am glad you lefties finally got a taste of it.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Anonymous

#3243761 - 10/11/04 05:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

i don't think that the liberal bias is that bad here. there is liberal bias, and it is pervasive in most of the media, but it's not that bad. the media leans a little to the left. no biggie. i've come to expect it.

the main issue where i feel the mainstream press is seriously lacking in objectivity is the issue of gun control. pretty much every article on the subject in the mainstream press is a stinking pile of biased, ignorant bullshit.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: ]
    #3243767 - 10/11/04 05:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Read "Manufacturing Consent" or see the film. It might just open your eyes.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: Xlea321]
    #3243780 - 10/11/04 05:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

why would you suggest that i watch a leftist propaganda film in order to show me that i am mistaken in believing that the media leans to the left?

:tongue:

seriously though, if it's in film format i may have to check it out. i've got too much required reading right now to be getting into anything else. i can probably pick that title up at the university library.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: ]
    #3243806 - 10/11/04 05:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
i don't think that the liberal bias is that bad here. there is liberal bias, and it is pervasive in most of the media, but it's not that bad. the media leans a little to the left. no biggie. i've come to expect it.

This is right on.
There's a slight liberal bias. Has been for a long time. I think that people should start taking active steps to do something about it instead of just constantly bitching.

And no, trying to even things out by creating an even more biased netwrok and making its slogan 'Fair and Balanced' is not helping the situation at all.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3243852 - 10/11/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think conspiracy has anything to do with it. Just the fact that more reporters tend to be liberal than conservative. Also, let's note here that bias can come in two categories: issues and candidates. Most people, when trying to demonstrate liberal bias, will focus on candidates and how they are portrayed. I think that for the most part, people see what they want to see in this respect. They will complain that their candidate is treated unfairly in the media, and that the other guy is held up on a pedestal. I think that you'll find plenty of inaccuracies in their reporting on both candidates, and while they may have more negative stories on one candidate than the other, I think that overall, they at least try to appear objective.

Now, when it comes to the issues, I find the media tends to be liberal on some issues, and conservative on others. Here's a short list of issues, and the bias I find the media falls under:

Liberal
Gun Control
Gay Marriage
Taxes
Affirmative Action
Multi-culturalism
Education
Health Care

Conservative
War
Drugs
Crime
Youth Culture

All-in-all, I'd say that the media is mostly liberal, with some socially conservative elements. I'd say they are also pro-statist quo, usually erring on the side of big government and preserving the duopoly(try and find anything about the Badnarik-Cobb arrest on any major media outlets). I don't think the media's bias is all that deliberate. We all have a bias, and it's bound to show, even when we try being objective.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3243902 - 10/11/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The media in the USA, and probably elsewhere in the freeworld is a Entertainment industry. It is entertainment, so it is only succesful if the people watch it. It is an industry so it is only succesful if people watch it.

Bias reflects the people they are selling too. News is just a documentation of the events. Bias is choosing which events get shown, which ultimately is chosen BY THE PEOPLE who turn on or off the TV. This isn't a 1 channel nation in the USA, we got LOTS of channels to choose from.

Fox news sells to the Right. Pretty much every other channel sells to the left(TV). Maybe that says something about who watches TV the most.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: silversoul7]
    #3243967 - 10/11/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

how do you see them as to the left on taxes? whenever i see a news report on taxes its always about "how the government is wasting your tax dollars" or something.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: Tao]
    #3243982 - 10/11/04 06:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, I guess I'm thinking specifically of the Bush tax cuts. I think they tend to be more conservative on government spending, but when it comes to taxes themselves, they seem to reflect an attitude that the rich deserve to be taxed more.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3244010 - 10/11/04 06:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
So is the idea of extreme liberal bias really a crafty conspiracy to keep the liberal elements of the media in check?

No there is no "extreme liberal bias". That is why extreme liberals like Noam Chomsky and Jim Hightower believe it is somehow conservative. The US media has a moderate Democrat leaning. That has been consistently demonstrated over the years.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: EonTan]
    #3244035 - 10/11/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EonTan said:
Fox news sells to the Right. Pretty much every other channel sells to the left(TV). Maybe that says something about who watches TV the most.

Or at least who watches news, and who watches Nascar.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: Gijith]
    #3244103 - 10/11/04 07:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I know a lot of lefties, blue collar lefties, that like NASCAR. I don't get the whole driving in a circle thing.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: An Englishmans take on Liberal media bias in the US ... [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3244232 - 10/11/04 07:40 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Most of the liberal media perception comes from the lower level. The reporters, the pundits, the commentators, etc. There are definitely certain news organizations that lean to the left, but most of the people and corporations who OWN the media are going to hold right wing conservative beliefs and agendas. Prime example is the dairy growth hormone that was being reported by a couple of Fox news staffers. The story was quickly killed by the powers that be at Fox in order to keep their advertisers happy and safe.

That's just my opinon on it anyway.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion