Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Exercising woes
    #3052673 - 08/26/04 11:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I was going so strong for about 5 months. Every day I exercised. I noticed a dramatic difference in my body at first and I was pretty pleased. But I think I got really discouraged. It seemed as though my body got to a certain point and that was it. And then I felt cheated. I mean, I'm not trying to be a skinny size 2 or anything. I like my shape, but I wanted to get physically fit. And it's like it worked for awhile steadily, but then even when I was killing myself on the treadmill the progress just stopped. And to be honest, it really upset me that I felt like I was killing myself with rigorous exercise, but wasn't seeing anymore results. And so I just stopped doing it. I haven't exercised in about a month now.

I *know* that I should start doing it again, but a part of me doesn't want to face that discouragement again. That was pretty brutal when I started feeling like I was working for nothing. I felt less then worthless and I started wanting to go on harmful diets and stuff just to lose weight fast. I don't know. My husband says that I didn't work at it long enough to get the results that I wanted. I'm not sure.

*sigh*

Just wanted to vent

*me*

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Exercising woes [Re: MOTH]
    #3052890 - 08/26/04 12:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Teh farther you are OUT of shape, the longer it takes to get back into it.

You also need to make sure you INCREASE your routine as you go.

Bodybuilding/lifting WITH cardio is the KEY way to go because it burns so many calories. So many people think they can just jog or walk a few miles and be good, but it doesnt really work tht way.

Get on a strict schedule, Use some weights and crap on all portions, especially areas you are not happy with. do POWER aerobics,, leg lifts, crunches, pushups etc.

but you MUST and I mean MUST *INCREASE* your workout as you go. Maybe a month into it add more reps, do more weight.. etc.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #3053196 - 08/26/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

maybe using the tredmill was your downfall.... i hate those pieces of crap... they get sooo unbelievably boring... taking a jog outside is much better... it helps keep your interest.. and imo is much easier to push yourself to go farther because you have a better sense of exactly how much distance your going

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #3053336 - 08/26/04 02:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You need to change up your workout every now and then or your body will adjust and you'll stop making progress. Try running outside, maybe even with some hills if you don't have bad knees. Add some light weights if you're not already lifting. If you are lifting, change up your routine - different exercises, more/less reps per set, etc. Keep your body guessing and you'll see better results.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Invisiblegoobler
Reanimated
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3053998 - 08/26/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

*plateau

as said mix up routine

if you're doing and strenght/weight training try some supersets once every 3 months...they'll shock the system

Offlinecrusher101

Re: Exercising woes [Re: goobler]
    #3056265 - 08/27/04 02:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

dont stop whatever u do ... i used to workout for football and it made me feel the best ive ever felt in my life... at your point u "feel" like u hit a wall... u really havent ... u just need to keep going... i know it may seem hard and rigorous but if u dont keep going u will see a negative result in your body... u just need to push through this phase and remember why u are doing it and make yourself a goal... dont stop till u reach that goal(make sure it is a reasonable one) and then once u reach it go for a new one(until u are happy with yourself) dont become something u didnt originally want to become though... look back to your first goal and think if u have taken it too far... once u reach the best shape u are gonna be in just stay at that pace and u will be happy with the results... not just physically ... but mentally GOOD LUCK AND do not... i repeat ... do NOT overdo it

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3056642 - 08/27/04 03:44 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well ANY exercise is good whether you're going for a buff look or just to maintain fitness. Have you looked at some of the things you're eating? Oftentimes, when we lose weight, your body tries to compensate and maintain homeostasis by making us crave food that aren't so good for us. Read those labels: you'd be surprised at some of the hidden junk in foods (most notably fats). But whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP! Keep on exercising. :laugh:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Exercising woes [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3061778 - 08/28/04 01:53 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Well guys, thanks for your advice.  In the weeks since I've stopped exercising, I've become very moody and grouchy and I can't help but think that they're related. 

I guess I just don't know that much about fitness and thought that going on the treadmill and doing situps every day would cut it.  Maybe if there was a fitness forum here at the Shroomery...*hint hint :wink:

For the sake of my mental health, I'm going to start making a point to start working out every day again.  Hopefully I'll be able to encourage myself by referencing this thread whenever things get tough. 

thanks

*me*

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3061827 - 08/28/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you should lift weights as well if you can.. even if its just hand weights in a few different forms. Lifting burns so many more calories then just running around and general aerobics.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: Exercising woes [Re: Barbi]
    #3061882 - 08/28/04 02:40 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, I don't think that's true. Running, swimming, and jump-roping are much better burning calories. Plus, most women don't want to lift too much because it actually bulks you up.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Offlinecrusher101

Re: Exercising woes [Re: bert]
    #3062342 - 08/28/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

think bert... WOMEN DONT BULK UP ... they dont have testosterone to bulk up so there isnt any chance of them becoming disgustingly big without steroids... so they shouldnt worry about it

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Re: Exercising woes [Re: crusher101]
    #3065023 - 08/29/04 02:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wasn't even talking about becoming physically large. The fact is, unless you have an extremely low bodyfat percentage, the lifting you do will not show through the surface and will actually cause you to appear larger, which is counter to what many females aim for during a workout session. Hope that explains it better.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3065068 - 08/29/04 02:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Actually, I don't think that's true. Running, swimming, and jump-roping are much better burning calories. Plus, most women don't want to lift too much because it actually bulks you up.

it has nothing to do with bulking up. Lifting weights takes more 'energy' or 'calories' hen just running or swimming does.

The harder the strain on the body, the more energy it has to output. Weights are key to losing weight.

Women also dont 'bulk' like men do. They will tone a lot, and bulk a tiny itty bitty bit.. but nothing like a male does.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Re: Exercising woes [Re: Barbi]
    #3065864 - 08/29/04 06:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Compare moderate weight lifting at burning 211 calories/hour to jogging at 5 mph which burns 563 calories per/hour. It's a common misconception that lifting burns more calories than aerobic exercises. Personally, I think it's better to do both so that you see the results of the tone the lifting provides, by shedding excess fat through aerobic avenues.

Weights are not key to losing weight. In fact lifting weights even moderately will cause you to gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat. Talk to any trainer and/or nutritionist and they'll tell you the same thing. Just a little bit of insight into the matter.

Overall, jump-roping or running on a treadmill are better for your shins as running on concrete through the city is very hard on them. And of course diet is always important. Remember to stay well hydrated and to try to stay away from sugar and other simple carbohydrates that are converted almost immediately into glucose by your body. Brown rice, granola, oats, anything with lots of fiber is good because it fills you up as well as providing a longer term source of energy for your body to work off of (helps you to stave off cravings for snacks). Fish and lean chicken are good sources of protein that are low in fat as well. I like to make soy-milk smoothies with protein powder after a work-out.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#3065906 - 08/29/04 06:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

define moderate.

moderate to most people is lifting some stupif 5lb curl bar.

The point here was not to drop in weight, but to get in shape. Less weight != healthier.

Offlineplanit
natural
Loc: hilly glacier washout
    #3073579 - 08/31/04 01:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

with me ,when i exercize i only gain weight ...slowly. i weigh like 125lbs adn im like 5 9' 19years old and when i was 15 i was like 140 ,144lbs was the max i think ,i has in very good shape but should have run more,at that point i was drinking and smoking weed hevily daily , and i felt very good considering , i was extremely aware ,and i realized when i stopped drinking(still smoked weed) my awareness was a lot more intense,now im trying to quit both and focus on school and exercise helps me keep busy ,and running outdoors is a lot better ,fresh air and varying terrain

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being