Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
... Work Woes
    #3780656 - 02/14/05 08:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I dunno if i have any right to be pissed off... My brother says i don't. But he is a dumb fuck, and disagrees with me just for the fun of it
(fuck you brother, i know your reading my shit while I'm at work)

anyway, i just got a job at Sonic Drive in. I'm kicking myself in the ass for getting fired from baskin Robbins ice-cream shop. That was my first job. It was so incredibly easy.
So when i first got hired, as a joke i asked the boss if i should bring my own roller skates. "no, we better start you off in the kitchen"
Thats cool, work is work. its 6.25 an hour. The kitchen licks balls. Dirty, busy, grease burns all over my hands. I cook, and clean. My hours suck. I only got 18 this week.

I noticed something that really gets in my craw. The kitchen crew is all male. The car-hops are all female. We work hard as fuck, non-stop. Cleaning the most nasty greasfilled shit.
They make drinks, and walk food out to cars, they do no cleaning at all. They are also pulling in around $100 a night.

Now, does this seem just to any of you?
That sonic allows this kind of sex discrimination to go on? It would be different if they had some girls in the kitchen, and some guys hopping cars, but its completely segregated. We aren't getting any percent of the tips. They aren't doing any of the cleaning, or other hard work.

I was thinking about sticking around for a time, and trying to get a position as a car hop. If this didn't work i was thinking about suing.
Is this grounds for a law suit? If so, i have no money (obviously) How can make a law suit if i have no money.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: ... Work Woes [Re: Dreamer987]
    #3781093 - 02/14/05 09:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's a really good question.  I personally don't know the answer, but I know a few "honest" (hehe) attorneys who have many years of experience and might be able to tell me the answer without me having to scour the case books or statutes. 

If you don't hear from me within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM to prompt my memory.  My memory viciously sucks.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3781880 - 02/15/05 01:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, at the Sonic I worked at NO girls worked in the kitchen, but guys could become carhops if they wanted to. I guess it varies from Sonic to Sonic. Once I asked why girls weren't allowed in the kitchen at the one I worked at and I got laughed at.

It is very unfair because carhops make GOOD money. I was making more then $14 dollars an hour when I worked during the day fulltime. Some people made way more then that.

I suggest you ask your manager when you might be able to become a carhop, and see what he/she says. If he continues to give you the run around after a few weeks, talk to his manager, the district manager, or whoever his boss is. Persue this within the company first and you're more likely to win if you sue, I bet.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: ... Work Woes [Re: MOTH]
    #3784005 - 02/15/05 03:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Man, that sounds like utter crap. I'm thankful there are no Sonic food places in my area.(I've never even seen one.) I find unethical business such as that to be unwelcome.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #3785541 - 02/15/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

can you say "Hooters?"

this smells of similar discrimination.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3789750 - 02/16/05 03:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I spoke with an attorney who has a billion years of experience. He said that private businesses have more freedom to "discriminate" than does the government.

For instance, the police department could try to keep Asians out by saying that everyone has to be 6' or taller. But it isn't necessary to be 6' to be able to do the job of a police officer, so this is unreasonable and therefore discriminatory.

In the private sector, as long as they don't say, "We won't hire you because you are a man," they can hire whoever they want to do whatever it is they want done.

If you want to work at Hooters as a bar maid, well, they require that you have big tits and a nice ass. They aren't saying you can't do it because you are a man.

At Sonic, you can get a job in some capacity. They can stick girls out there as car hops and guys in the kitchen. If you want to make more money, go get a different job.

Now, as someone else wrote, go up the chain of command to see if you can get a position as a car hop, but it might cause you to appear to be a trouble-maker. Also, if you sue, you wouldn't win.

Maybe you can work on getting the policy changed. See if you can cause the car hops to have to share their tips. I know some restaurants do this. The waitresses have to give a percentage of their tips to the bartender and to the busboy.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: ... Work Woes [Re: Frog]
    #3789778 - 02/16/05 03:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Muchos Gracias Frog

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals