Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
How many more 2000's do we need to see?
    #3040416 - 08/23/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of people on this board, as I remember, are cool with the electoral college. Why? I forget what the dumb reasons were.

My question is, what if the candidate who wins the popular vote loses in 2004? What about again in 2008?

How many times can the candidate who receives the most votes lose before we scrap this electoral college shit?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: How many more 2000's do we need to see? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3040448 - 08/23/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

A lot of people on this board, as I remember, are cool with the electoral college. Why? I forget what the dumb reasons were.

The electoral college ensures the major population centers don't run roughshod over the rest of the country.

It's a good thing. I suspect you'd feel it was OK had Gore won because of it.

I'd rather see a run-off between the top two candidates, then maybe a third party candidate would not be so disadvantaged.

Quote:

My question is, what if the candidate who wins the popular vote loses in 2004? What about again in 2008?

Oh well.

Quote:

How many times can the candidate who receives the most votes lose before we scrap this electoral college shit?

Hopefully never unless as laid out in my third sentence in this post.

EDIT: But hey.... at least you're over the "Bush stole the election" shit.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (08/23/04 05:30 PM)

Anonymous

#3040451 - 08/23/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i think it's happened three times in over 200 years.

the electoral college is one of the few remaining affirmations that this country is a federation of states.

edit... 3 times.

Edited by mushmaster (08/23/04 05:30 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: How many more 2000's do we need to see? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3040728 - 08/23/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The electoral college ensures the major population centers don't run roughshod over the rest of the country.

I don't understand why that's a bad thing. Why does it matter where voters are located? A vote should count as a vote.

I would sacrifce having Bush win to get rid of the electoral college.

Quote:

Mushmaster said:

i think it's happened three times in over 200 years.

But if it happened over and over again, would you want to switch?

Quote:

Mushmaster said:

the electoral college is one of the few remaining affirmations that this country is a federation of states.

Why?

Isn't it more important for every US citizen's vote to count?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#3042765 - 08/24/04 03:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If the US was a democracy it would be, and still is, important for everyones vote to count.

The US is not a democracy. It is a constitutionally limited republic and a confederation of states. They system is set-up to ensure some equalization of the power of the states.

The system works fine and until we have a run-off system, the current one should be left alone.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3042865 - 08/24/04 04:47 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm all for the electoral college because we aren't a democracy. I'm not cool with 9 people voting to kill the tenth and mob rule. I'll stick to the representative republic that we currently are.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3042986 - 08/24/04 06:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Some states are historically more corrupt than others. If we moved to popular vote perhaps Illinois could swing an election with an overwhelming turnout of dead Democrats in Chicago. The current system gives at least some protections against one corrupt state from a "popular vote" coup.

Democrats whine just because the lost, not because the system is bad. It is sad and pathetic.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #3043899 - 08/24/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

first of all..the outcome in 2000 was not the product of the electoral college so much as that of vote fraud (US comission on civil rights) and illegal intervention by the neocon SCOTUS (the nation)...no matter how many times the right-wing twits here say they won the FL vote by the rules doesnt make it true...

second of all..for obvious reasons..the electoral college cannot be abolished...fortunately..however..its influence can be susbstantially weakened..if the states apportioned their electoral votes as is done in ME...the solution is in the statehouses and not the federal govt...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: How many more 2000's do we need to see? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #3044636 - 08/24/04 02:41 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

no matter how many times the right-wing twits here say they won the FL vote by the rules doesnt make it true...

You're right. Saying it doesn't make it so. The facts take care of that all by themselves.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom