Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29674768 -




Along with glass petris, i use jars

The jar on the left has a GE hole with micropore

And yeah if you're gonna use jars you're gonna have to be ok with limited visibility until you work in SAB/LFH/FFU

EDIT: I store these in the tub that they are sitting on in the picture

Edited by langten69 (09/21/26 05:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: langten69]
    #29674769 -

Do you detect any difference in growth speed between the one with a ge hole and the one without?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #29674772 -

Yes and from now on i will only be using a GE hole sytle modified lid from now on

Earlier in this thread I explained how I tested this when i used an unmodified lid and colonozation stalled at 33% after 2 weeks

Then I opened the lid to take a transfer and reclosed the lid, come to find that that little air I introduced gave the myc all the vigor it needed to colonize the whole jar in less than 4 days

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: langten69]
    #29674785 -

There's probably a 'reopen lid in the SAB' tek someone could do. But just easier to add ge holes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: CreonAntigone]
    #29674940 -

It sounds like (with jars at least) having some sort of GE built into the lid is a good idea.
Can’t hurt, atanyrate.


I’ve got several different sizes and shapes of mason jars, so I think I’ll experiment more with the different types before buying a bunch of the same size or anything.

Edited by Thought Criminal (09/21/26 08:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: Thought Criminal]
    #29675625 -

I've bought a metric shit ton of plastic petris, but back in the day I would use condiment cups. They're super inexpensive, compact and are easy to close with the snap on lid--no wrapping needed. Every once in a while I pour some for fun.

:snoopyes:


--------------------
Need genetics? Hit me up!


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: Nerdo]
    #29675626 -

I agree that the condiment cups are the lowest tech, easiest to access, and easiest to work with and most hassle free to use  especially for newbies

That being said, I do love me some weighty glassware, also for the reason that I dont have to throw them away, I love the reusability

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: langten69]
    #29675707 -

langten69 said:
I agree that the condiment cups are the lowest tech, easiest to access, and easiest to work with and most hassle free to use  especially for newbies

That being said, I do love me some weighty glassware, also for the reason that I dont have to throw them away, I love the reusability



You're a better person than me!  I tried glass petris and the glassware cleaning broke me. I have no issue with doing dishes but somehow this one wasn't as easy. One day I hope to get back at it.


--------------------
Need genetics? Hit me up!


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: Thought Criminal]
    #29676464 -

Thought Criminal said:
It sounds like (with jars at least) having some sort of GE built into the lid is a good idea.
Can’t hurt, atanyrate.


I’ve got several different sizes and shapes of mason jars, so I think I’ll experiment more with the different types before buying a bunch of the same size or anything.



The low tech alternative for punching a hole in mason jar lids for GE, is to simply flip the lid upside down so that the rubber gasket is facing upward

See Pastywhyte's CAKEWARS III example here:


Edited by langten69 (09/23/26 05:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do Petri dishes need some sort of FAE when used for agar? [Re: langten69]
    #29676976 -

langten69 said:
Thought Criminal said:
It sounds like (with jars at least) having some sort of GE built into the lid is a good idea.
Can’t hurt, atanyrate.


I’ve got several different sizes and shapes of mason jars, so I think I’ll experiment more with the different types before buying a bunch of the same size or anything.



The low tech alternative for punching a hole in mason jar lids for GE, is to simply flip the lid upside down so that the rubber gasket is facing upward

See Pastywhyte's CAKEWARS III example here:





:mindblown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* premade petri dishes? High_On_Magic 2,108 4 09/15/03 04:10 PM
by simplemachine
* Where to get pre-made petri dishes? niteowl 1,102 4 06/10/04 03:54 PM
by niteowl
* Pour agar into petri dishes before pc angelko 7,519 5 05/18/03 05:05 PM
by Prisoner#1
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Some of my first petri dishes ever :) kykeon 3,405 7 10/26/02 12:24 AM
by kykeon
* Re: Petri Dishes & Agar Q's Placebo 4,313 5 12/07/99 10:00 AM
by Anonymous
* sterilizing petri dishes llamaboy 11,215 11 01/17/04 02:45 PM
by ragadinks
* question about plastic petri dishes Duffmanooohyea 3,661 17 07/22/17 10:07 AM
by bodhisatta

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
459 topic views. 5 members, 56 guests and 110 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.