Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePlacebo
Re: Petri Dishes & Agar Q's
    #67265 - 12/02/99 02:09 AM (18 years, 18 days ago)

I use and reuse plastic "disposable" petris. I wash and clean them thoroughly, sometimes with some sort of disinfectant, and wipe them down with alcohol and let them dry (in a glove box) before using them. I sometimes get some spots of contamination that pop up (which are probably due to improperly cleaning the petris), but it's usually pretty rare. Just don't try sterilizing them in a pressure cooker. :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePlacebo
    #67267 - 12/02/99 02:23 AM (18 years, 18 days ago)

I use and reuse plastic "disposable" petris. I wash and clean them thoroughly, sometimes with some sort of disinfectant, and wipe them down with alcohol and let them dry (in a glove box) before using them. I sometimes get some spots of contamination that pop up (which are probably due to improperly cleaning the petris), but it's usually pretty rare. Just don't try sterilizing them in a pressure cooker. :smile:

OfflinePanTrop
enthusiast
Loc: Washington
    #67268 - 12/03/99 06:53 PM (18 years, 16 days ago)

If the petri dishes were open there not steril anymore....you can still use them, but since there plastic they will not survive a pressure cooker, try bringing water to a soft boil and let the dishes sit in it for about 30 minutes....This should be good and then to be really safe wipe the dishes down with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol. As for reusing them after you have used them....I wouldnt but you could repeat the steps above I guess with petri dishes that didnt have contams.

------------------
"My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk"
-Quote from Eminem-

~PanTrop~

--------------------
" My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk!"

InvisiblePermaGrin
    #67269 - 12/04/99 10:50 AM (18 years, 15 days ago)

Has anyone here actually tried to sterilize these plastic petris in a pressure cooker? I recently cooked a plastic disposable syringe with some salsa I was canning, and it held up to the heat just fine.

OfflinePipes of Pan
journeyman
    #67270 - 12/04/99 02:32 PM (18 years, 15 days ago)

There are plastic petri dishes that can be sterilized in the pressure cooker, but not the styrene disposable ones. I speak from experience here. If you are into plastic free form sculpture, try pressure cooking these styrene petri dishes. That is exactly what you will get and it is a bit hard to pour agar into something like that. I do resuse mine too, but it is getting to be more a pain in the ass. They get all scratched up and the scratches can harbor contams. I soak mine in a diluted bleach solution overnight and wash the hell out of them with fresh water then.

------------------
Pipes of Pan

Anonymous

#67271 - 12/07/99 12:00 PM (18 years, 12 days ago)

Yeah, I tried sterilizing mine and all I got was one big pile of melted plastic!

------------------
He who controls the spice, controls the universe....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation