Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: Blizzloo] * 7
    #29576416 -

Blizzloo said:
Quote:
(...)
Well now you got in my head and I think I could do a heated vacuum vs unheated vacuum trial of the liquid teas. Then combine the resulting teas to do the dehydrating temperature comparison. That would save some time and materials I suppose.



I look forward to seeing the results :smile:



It looks like heat plus vacuum was less efficient than vacuum alone.

Vacuum vs Heat Plus Vacuum extraction results.
Steps:
I boiled 4000 ml water for 15 minutes to de-oxygenate.
Then put 500 ml into a 2000 ml jar to cool and 500 ml into another for the heated test. Both with lids on so water vapor would displace air and create a vacuum as it cooled to limit o2 absorption into the water.
I split 100 grams of dried materials into two equal 50 gram bowls.
When the vacuum only jar had cooled to 77f(25c) and the heat plus vacuum jar had been reheated to 203f(95c) I added the 50 grams of dried active materials to each and pulled a vacuum on each setting a timer for 15 minutes.
I thought it was interesting to note that pulling the vacuum on the heated jar caused the solution to boil intensely at first and continuing at a simmer for the entire 15 minutes. That proved that the vacuum held as the jars sat at ambient temperature.
Both jars were shaken at 3 minute intervals.
At 15 minutes the vacuum only jar was still 25c while the heat + vacuum jar had cooled to 61.6c but continued to boil until the seal was broken.
The contents of both jars were filtered into separate containers using a french press.
Two samples of each were drawn from just below the surface of each using disposable pipettes and placed into sealed containers.
The samples were tested using Miraculix Qtests and standard procedures except that 0.4 ml of each were substituted for the normal 0.05 grams of dried material per conversations with the manufacturer of the tests for testing liquids.
While the indicated potency from the tests may be unreliable due to the liquid substitution, the relative potency between the samples should still give a reliable indication of which process produced better results.

The results were:
unheated vacuum only - 2.24 mg/g actives
heated plus vacuum - 1.77mg/g actives

Conclusion: I would not recommend heating plus vacuum for extractions. The additions of heat reduced the effectiveness of the extraction. This seems to confirm that heated extraction of aqueous solution is less effective than ambient vacuum extraction.

Part 2:
After completing the extraction steps above, the two teas were combined. Then the wet dregs of both batches were combined in one of the vacuum chambers with an additional 500 ml water and a vacuum pulled for a second decoction of 15 minutes. That decoction was filtered as before and combined with the first decoction tea to be used in the dehydrating temperature comparison to follow. Samples from that tea are drying now in a 60c dehydrator, a 60c oven, a dehydrator with the heating element disabled and in a still air dark chamber. They will be compared when the final sample is dry. These tests are for aqueous solutions of dried materials. Further testing will be required for drying of fruiting bodies at a later date.

Pix



Before preparing the qtests you can see that the vacuum only tea is more blue and the heat + vacuum tea is more brown.


Pre and post hot water bath.


Unheated vs heated results.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc] * 2
    #29576420 -

Bless you, for doing all the nitty gritty dirty work.

Seriously.

Thank you, sir.


--------------------
- My trade list
- New here? Me too! Pop by and say hi c:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: Dave Bennett] * 5
    #29576665 -

Dave Bennett said:
This paper looked into the stability of the alkaloids over time and found that they were stable in solution for two weeks (which was the length of the experiment, not when the the alkaloids completely degraded) if light was excluded and the solution was refrigerated.

Investigation into the temporal stability of aqueous standard solutions of psilocin and psilocybin using high performance liquid chromatography.

Bear in mind that it was written in 2005 when they didn't understand that psilocybin degrades into psilocin so the loss of potency, they found at seven days and traces at fourteen days has to an artefact of their handling process rather than the chemical properties of the alkaloids. 




It appears the paper was a comparison of light vs no light of aqueous solution at ambient temperature. The only mention of refrigeration that I saw was that it was ineffective to reduce potency loss in the auto-sample container during testing. There is also mention of similar observations in another study result where the presence of light with the absence of air appeared to have little effect. They also address the dephosphorylation of psilocybin to psilocin and dismiss it because the HPLC results did not support it as an explanation of potency loss. So, none of this contradicts my observations that in the absence of moisture, light has little effect on long term storage. My results are for 50, 100, 200 & 300 days with no measurable potency loss in dried tea compared to their 7- and 14-day studies of solutions which showed a "slight decrease" at 7 days and "approximately two thirds the initial value" for psilocybin at 14 days in the absence of light.

I still hold that advice based on extrapolations of other studies is simply not as useful as recommendations based on actual testing. The methods that you suggest in the prior post about number of decoctions, o2 in water and ph may be good but without actual real-world testing they are nothing but hypothesis.  Some of the methods that you dismiss have been proven to be effective repeatedly.

On multiple decoctions, I have tested and shared results that show increased extraction from second and third decoctions. I invite anyone to replicate the steps to see if they get the same results or design another experiment to disprove them. Extending the drying time may reduce the potency of the total captured actives in the final result, but I see nothing quantifiable to indicate that the lengthened drying eliminates the gains in extraction of actives from additional decoctions. I have shared evidence to the contrary. The dried teas from single decoctions and multiple decoctions show equal potency but the multiple extractions lead to more dried tea by weight and therefore more total extracted actives.

I don't contest the benefit of de-oxygenated water for extractions. I have seen the same results. I have done limited testing with ph but did not find significant differences in those few experiments that I did. I have, however, noticed anecdotally (but not tested) that my gummies with acid do seem to have a shorter potency life. However, I do reject your assertion that "Gummies aren't great for stability either due to their permeable and translucent nature...". I have tested 5 year old gummies that retained their potency without dark storage. What evidence, not theory or tenuous extrapolation, do you have that gummies do not hold potency? Have you ever even made gummies, let alone tested them over time? Or is this just more unfounded guessing? We can debate why we think that one method should be better than another, but while the methods remain untried fairly one against the other, let's leave it in the realm of debate. We can skip the "inevitable loss", "aren't great" and other loaded value statements without evidence to back them up.

I would not trust advice based on educated guesses and inference extrapolated from related but not equal conditions. That is a great place to start when experimenting, but not a valid place to draw conclusions. The scientific method is based on observation, hypothesis formation, experimentation, data analysis, conclusion and replication. When the results of experimentation do not match with the hypothesis it is time to find a new hypothesis. Data analysis and hypothesis without experimentation and replication are not enough to draw reliable conclusions.

I do welcome discussion because it leads to new things to test and validate or reject. However, I try to limit my advice to my experience rather than educated guesses. I think that it is best not to give advice without testing the theories that they are based on or at least stating that it is an untested hypothesis. If you disagree, you are welcome to start another thread filled with your recommendations and explanations of why they are better. If you have not done a single trial yourself, please refrain from dismissing the results of mine here.

Again it sounds like I am getting heated, but I am not. I just want any future readers of this (or any) thread to be able to make an informed decision about what advice is more valid when they find contradictory opinions. I am not saying that we have found the definitive best way to do any of this. There are many ways to be successful and some are objectively better than others. What I share are the results of comparisons that I have tested while limiting variables as much as I can.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: koma23] * 1
    #29576681 -
Log in to view attachment

koma23 said:
I filtered the tea through a medium speed filter and at the end got about a 45% extraction. I'm guessing this is it in regards to a water based extraction. Any idea how we could reduce this?

...






I love the removal while still in a leathery state. That looks so much nicer than the messy residue that my scraping results in.

As to the lab grade alcohol extraction, I found this paper on a method that a group of extraction enthusiasts have worked out. It requires some serious tech and chemical access, but is purported to be very effective. I am inserting the pdf and hoping that the Illuminati don't come for me.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29576898 -

Actionsaurusrex asked a question about the stability of the alkaloids in solution and I provided them with some scientific research pertaining to their question. Is mycological research banned in this thread?

And as to gummies not being a very good medium for psilocybin stability during storage anyone can Google "Do psilocybin gummies lose potency and why?"

Your latest experiment had some interesting results.

unheated vacuum only - 2.24 mg/g actives
heated plus vacuum - 1.77mg/g actives

Haven't you just proved that heat degrades potency?


--------------------

Edited by Dave Bennett (05/15/26 02:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29576921 -

ReverendMyc said:
koma23 said:
I filtered the tea through a medium speed filter and at the end got about a 45% extraction. I'm guessing this is it in regards to a water based extraction. Any idea how we could reduce this?

...






I love the removal while still in a leathery state. That looks so much nicer than the messy residue that my scraping results in.

As to the lab grade alcohol extraction, I found this paper on a method that a group of extraction enthusiasts have worked out. It requires some serious tech and chemical access, but is purported to be very effective. I am inserting the pdf and hoping that the Illuminati don't come for me.



Ah yes, it really simplifies the process.

Regarding the alcohol precipation, I wouldn't call it "lab grade" :smile: It's just mixing the two together (the reduced water extract and alcohol), waiting an hour or two for the "solids" (precipate) to form and then filter.

I see you attached an alcohol extraction method (tnx), but what I'm referring to is not an alcohol extraction; it's an alcohol purification of the water extract. As far as my research goes in to alcohol extractions, you need to use a lot of alcohol (absent sonication), so it's not really economical, and I don't want to mess with methanol. Doing it this way is much cheaper. I'm going to try this today or one of these days.

As far as your testing goes I think the most important unanswered questions revolve on the subject of reduction; temperature, time, light ... Can you reduce on the stove at basically 100c or is keeping below 70c a must? How much does light exposure affect the final potency, etc.

A question about a prior measurement of yours. I was looking at the measurements of golden teachers. 400mg actives in tea and 47mg remaining in the dregs. That's 447mg in 25g of mush which equals to 1.79% actives in dried material. Am I getting something wrong? If not, that is a hell of a lot for GT. Have you thought about this yet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: Dave Bennett] * 4
    #29577276 -

Dave Bennett said:
Actionsaurusrex asked a question about the stability of the alkaloids in solution and I provided them with some scientific research pertaining to their question. Is mycological research banned in this thread?

And as to gummies not being a very good medium for psilocybin stability during storage anyone can Google "Do psilocybin gummies lose potency and why?"

Your latest experiment had some interesting results.

unheated vacuum only - 2.24 mg/g actives
heated plus vacuum - 1.77mg/g actives

Haven't you just proved that heat degrades potency?



I think that you are arguing for argument's sake.

The problem is not replying with research, it is dismissing results of practical applications based on misreading or misapplication of that research. I listed several things that you claimed that article you attached said that were either misrepresented or misunderstood.

And if you found something on a google search then I suppose there is absolutely no chance that it could be wrong. Never mind any evidence to the contrary. I guess I can just shut down all research, testing and sharing since nothing I am contributing is of any value since there is already published information about vaguely similar things that we can just extrapolate from. Somehow you believe that things that experienced members hold to be true are myths while also believing that google is infallible even though it draws its information from what others believe to be true. I agree that either source can be mistaken and have set out to test the conclusions, not just regurgitate them.

As to the last results. You continue to misrepresent what you read to assert your point. I am not denying that heat may reduce potency in aqueous form and even possibly in the whole mushrooms as you seem to contend. I am saying that I am doing actual testing and sharing the results no matter what they show. While your arguments are based on conclusions that you have drawn from the work of others.

Without actual testing, none of the papers that you find so precious would exist. So why are you so adamant that no further research that relates specifically to our application is necessary? You have read a lot of information and now insist that you know more than anyone else who is incapable of your level of understanding and achievement. You are coming off as an insufferable know-it-all who has never heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect. You appear to be more interested in scoring points than learning or even teaching anything. I, for one, do not have time to continue to waste on unproductive argument. I have better things to do. So, yes, I am requesting that you take it somewhere else if you have nothing more to contribute than arguments to from authority based on the experiences of others.

If you have suggestions on how to improve experiments or results of things that you have tried I am here for it. If you just want to prove that you are the smartest kid in the room because you can read and cherry pick, again, you are welcome to start your own thread. I genuinely hope that you have much success and stick around to share it. I am here to improve our shared understanding even if it flies in the face of conventional wisdom. No matter what results show, they will challenge someone's beliefs. That is how science advances.

Edit: to correct the reply to address and because the correct term is "argument from authority" or "appeal to authority" and my brain decided to blend them. I blame two similar names for the same fallacy and not my own dipshittery.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Edited by ReverendMyc (05/15/26 04:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: koma23]
    #29577281 -

koma23 said:
...
A question about a prior measurement of yours. I was looking at the measurements of golden teachers. 400mg actives in tea and 47mg remaining in the dregs. That's 447mg in 25g of mush which equals to 1.79% actives in dried material. Am I getting something wrong? If not, that is a hell of a lot for GT. Have you thought about this yet?



Sorry Koma23 - Can you link the post you are referring to? It is perfectly possible that I made an error posting or somewhere else. Hopefully I still have the data lying around if it is something older.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29577297 -

ReverendMyc said:
koma23 said:
...
A question about a prior measurement of yours. I was looking at the measurements of golden teachers. 400mg actives in tea and 47mg remaining in the dregs. That's 447mg in 25g of mush which equals to 1.79% actives in dried material. Am I getting something wrong? If not, that is a hell of a lot for GT. Have you thought about this yet?



Sorry Koma23 - Can you link the post you are referring to? It is perfectly possible that I made an error posting or somewhere else. Hopefully I still have the data lying around if it is something older.



It was this post: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/29045364#29045364

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: koma23] * 2
    #29577341 -

Ahh. Yes. I had not actually caught that. So a couple of things here.

The samples came from the higher of these two tests which came out to 1.556% actives which is indeed very high for GT. Especially since it was an old powdered sample.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28960154#28960154

I have mentioned that the absolute values of the tests are also suspect. I know I have mentioned the reasons here and there, but maybe not all of them in this thread or open forum discussions. Here are a few reasons.

The tiny amounts required for the bulk tests of 0.050 grams for standard samples and 0.025 grams for potent materials is at the very limit of my consumer scales. I use the one that the test manufacturer recommends and calibrate it often, but it is still limited.

The second reason is likely due to the "blanking" step for the colorimeter. The manufacturer now recommends heating the blanking sample used to zero out the colorimeter for the most accurate results. When I started all of these tests, that step was not included in the instructions so I was probably not starting from a proper zero. Now, when doing a comparison test, I still do not incubate the blanking sample to save on materials. But when I do actual potency tests for things like the myceliated grains over time trials or testing a new cultivar of semps or pans I do waste some of the extraction and reaction solution for the greatest possible absolute accuracy. But that is still only to within the tolerances of the scale and the colorimeter.

There could be other things as well like the +/- 5% accuracy of the colorimeter.

However, when I do these tests, I am using the same scale, blanking samples, and colorimeter for every test. So while the absolute values of the test results may be off, the relative potency between tests done at the same time should be reliable.

Best I can do for citizen science. Though I wouldn't be mad if Santa brought me an HPLC for x-mas. Unfortunately I must be on the wrong list.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Edited by ReverendMyc (05/15/26 03:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29577927 -

Putting by far the longest ad hominem attack I've ever been subjected to online aside, if you read my posts my motivation for contributing to this thread is clearly to add to the discussion and improve everyone's results with scientifically proven methods to maximise potency during drying, extraction, gummy making and storage.

You've taken us out into the weeds at every turn because you refuse to believe decades of peer reviewed research by the world's most eminent scientists and mycologists using state of the art analytical equipment with a margin of error between 1 to 5 ppm. Isn't that the Dunning Kruger effect you were talking about?

So to bring things back to the matter at the hand, it's clear that you've demonstrated that heat degrades potency in your last experiment as temperature was the only variable and that knowledge and keeping drying and processing temperatures to a minimum (vacuums and mushroom tea which is protected by de-oxygenated water aside) will improve the potency of everyone's dried fruits, teas, extractions and gummies.

So can we move forward now?


--------------------

Edited by Dave Bennett (05/16/26 02:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29577961 -

ReverendMyc said:
Blizzloo said:
Quote:
(...)
Well now you got in my head and I think I could do a heated vacuum vs unheated vacuum trial of the liquid teas. Then combine the resulting teas to do the dehydrating temperature comparison. That would save some time and materials I suppose.



I look forward to seeing the results :smile:



It looks like heat plus vacuum was less efficient than vacuum alone.

Vacuum vs Heat Plus Vacuum extraction results.
Steps:
I boiled 4000 ml water for 15 minutes to de-oxygenate.
Then put 500 ml into a 2000 ml jar to cool and 500 ml into another for the heated test. Both with lids on so water vapor would displace air and create a vacuum as it cooled to limit o2 absorption into the water.
I split 100 grams of dried materials into two equal 50 gram bowls.
When the vacuum only jar had cooled to 77f(25c) and the heat plus vacuum jar had been reheated to 203f(95c) I added the 50 grams of dried active materials to each and pulled a vacuum on each setting a timer for 15 minutes.
I thought it was interesting to note that pulling the vacuum on the heated jar caused the solution to boil intensely at first and continuing at a simmer for the entire 15 minutes. That proved that the vacuum held as the jars sat at ambient temperature.
Both jars were shaken at 3 minute intervals.
At 15 minutes the vacuum only jar was still 25c while the heat + vacuum jar had cooled to 61.6c but continued to boil until the seal was broken.
The contents of both jars were filtered into separate containers using a french press.
Two samples of each were drawn from just below the surface of each using disposable pipettes and placed into sealed containers.
The samples were tested using Miraculix Qtests and standard procedures except that 0.4 ml of each were substituted for the normal 0.05 grams of dried material per conversations with the manufacturer of the tests for testing liquids.
While the indicated potency from the tests may be unreliable due to the liquid substitution, the relative potency between the samples should still give a reliable indication of which process produced better results.

The results were:
unheated vacuum only - 2.24 mg/g actives
heated plus vacuum - 1.77mg/g actives

Conclusion: I would not recommend heating plus vacuum for extractions. The additions of heat reduced the effectiveness of the extraction. This seems to confirm that heated extraction of aqueous solution is less effective than ambient vacuum extraction.

Part 2:
After completing the extraction steps above, the two teas were combined. Then the wet dregs of both batches were combined in one of the vacuum chambers with an additional 500 ml water and a vacuum pulled for a second decoction of 15 minutes. That decoction was filtered as before and combined with the first decoction tea to be used in the dehydrating temperature comparison to follow. Samples from that tea are drying now in a 60c dehydrator, a 60c oven, a dehydrator with the heating element disabled and in a still air dark chamber. They will be compared when the final sample is dry. These tests are for aqueous solutions of dried materials. Further testing will be required for drying of fruiting bodies at a later date.

Pix



Before preparing the qtests you can see that the vacuum only tea is more blue and the heat + vacuum tea is more brown.


Pre and post hot water bath.


Unheated vs heated results.



Thanks Rev, I'm super grateful that you conducted this experiment!


--------------------
.
"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29578282 -

ReverendMyc said:
Ahh. Yes. I had not actually caught that. So a couple of things here.

The samples came from the higher of these two tests which came out to 1.556% actives which is indeed very high for GT. Especially since it was an old powdered sample.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28960154#28960154

I have mentioned that the absolute values of the tests are also suspect. I know I have mentioned the reasons here and there, but maybe not all of them in this thread or open forum discussions. Here are a few reasons.

The tiny amounts required for the bulk tests of 0.050 grams for standard samples and 0.025 grams for potent materials is at the very limit of my consumer scales. I use the one that the test manufacturer recommends and calibrate it often, but it is still limited.

The second reason is likely due to the "blanking" step for the colorimeter. The manufacturer now recommends heating the blanking sample used to zero out the colorimeter for the most accurate results. When I started all of these tests, that step was not included in the instructions so I was probably not starting from a proper zero. Now, when doing a comparison test, I still do not incubate the blanking sample to save on materials. But when I do actual potency tests for things like the myceliated grains over time trials or testing a new cultivar of semps or pans I do waste some of the extraction and reaction solution for the greatest possible absolute accuracy. But that is still only to within the tolerances of the scale and the colorimeter.

There could be other things as well like the +/- 5% accuracy of the colorimeter.

However, when I do these tests, I am using the same scale, blanking samples, and colorimeter for every test. So while the absolute values of the test results may be off, the relative potency between tests done at the same time should be reliable.

Best I can do for citizen science. Though I wouldn't be mad if Santa brought me an HPLC for x-mas. Unfortunately I must be on the wrong list.



I see. Appreciate the explanation.

1.79% actives (calculating via 447 mg from 25g), sounds like app 3x more than it should be for GT, or maybe even 4x in your specific case. Do you think the scale limitations, blanking issue, colorimeter tolerance, and other small variables could realistically add up to that large of a margin of error? I know these scales all too well, and 25 - 50mg isn't soo bad. I can't speak about the blanking issues, but I've done a lot of 3D Lut monitor calibrations and know enough about colorimeters to understand the issues on this front, although I haven't had a look in to Miraculix's workflow in regards to calibration (basically), so can't speak to that. In post-production, device calibration is done with a colorimeter which is calibrated with a spectro, as colorimeters drift a lot. But spectros can't be used for display calibration as they suck at low light and they're also slow ...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: koma23] * 4
    #29578428 -

Well, I have gone through notes and calculations and the pictures from that time and everything looked right until I found a picture of a scale showing 50 grams of dry product and the two jars with dry mush powder in the bottom of each. It looks like I planned to use 25 grams in each but then actually decided to use 50 grams in each jar. I found a picture that appears to show one amount in two jars and then a second picture with double the amount.

If that is the mistake, then the total actives make a lot more sense. 0.447mg/g / 50g gives 0.894%. That is still at the top of range for GT but not unheard of per the 2021 psilocybin cup. The top GT that year was 0.84 total of psilocybin and psilocin. Miraculix Qtests also measure the combined total of psilocybin and psilocin. The large print on the boxes do not mention that, but Dr. Felix has confirmed it several times.

I cannot definitively say that this is what happened, but it does fit the evidence better than anything else I can come up with. In any case, that is a really good catch, so thanks.

I didn't think that I had any more of that sample left, but I just discovered that I do still have that exact sample in a drawer. So I am going to run a potency test on it again while I am doing the dried tea temperature comparisons when the last one finishes drying. I do have some better tools than I started with, so maybe I can get a more reasonable absolute potency.


Pictures from 2024-12-02, the day of that test.


P Cup info


Sample I just found that I still have.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29578681 -

ReverendMyc said:
Well, I have gone through notes and calculations and the pictures from that time and everything looked right until I found a picture of a scale showing 50 grams of dry product and the two jars with dry mush powder in the bottom of each. It looks like I planned to use 25 grams in each but then actually decided to use 50 grams in each jar. I found a picture that appears to show one amount in two jars and then a second picture with double the amount.

If that is the mistake, then the total actives make a lot more sense. 0.447mg/g / 50g gives 0.894%. That is still at the top of range for GT but not unheard of per the 2021 psilocybin cup. The top GT that year was 0.84 total of psilocybin and psilocin. Miraculix Qtests also measure the combined total of psilocybin and psilocin. The large print on the boxes do not mention that, but Dr. Felix has confirmed it several times.

I cannot definitively say that this is what happened, but it does fit the evidence better than anything else I can come up with. In any case, that is a really good catch, so thanks.

I didn't think that I had any more of that sample left, but I just discovered that I do still have that exact sample in a drawer. So I am going to run a potency test on it again while I am doing the dried tea temperature comparisons when the last one finishes drying. I do have some better tools than I started with, so maybe I can get a more reasonable absolute potency.


Pictures from 2024-12-02, the day of that test.


P Cup info


Sample I just found that I still have.




Ah damn. That would explain a lot.

Still a rather generous % for an old, powdered GT sample - but it's definitely more in line with proposed margins of error yes. If it was me doing this, I'd still like to do a test sample compared to HPLC. Is doing lab tests an option where you are? Some government harm reduction thing maybe ...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: koma23] * 3
    #29579820 -

I was making tea for some magic jello and was using Pans this time.

I usually follow your recommendation of 20ml water/G of fruit, but I was wondering if I should up that to accommodate the higher percentage of actives that exotics have.

I ended up adding a few extra ml per gram to be safe, but I'm unsure if it was necessary.

The jello was pink Starburst flavored and delicious in case anyone was wondering.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29605716 -

been interested in finding ways to minimize actual product and maximize potency. My closet is getting out of control with so many glass jars of shrooms. Wish I could just get it super potent enough where 1 capsule would be good to go. Also with the tea being dehydrated down to crystals, could you just cap those? Last time I tried the dry down method i'm guessing i didn't do it long enough because it just came out a sticky mess.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ihansterx4i]
    #29605738 -

I did do that and mentioned it here.

The dried tea gets the crystals dense enough that 1 capsule was a good museum type dose. 2 capsules would probably be a decent trip depending on the starting material. Pans cyan or strong semps made into dehydrated tea crystals in 00 capsules are likely to work well in a single capsule. Dried tea capsules take more work than just jarring up dried mush, but really cuts down on the space required to store them.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29605743 -

Oh nice ok thank you. Definitely doing it this weekend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Top Tea Prep method test per potency testing of dregs, teas, & extracts [Re: ReverendMyc]
    #29606175 -



Just curious, would this device work for what you're doing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Testing potency? VelvetDecay 699 2 05/18/04 12:47 AM
by OldSpice
* Drying at 120+ degrees , Loss of potency? fresh313 1,106 7 12/06/03 05:58 PM
by ChiefThunderbong
* Mushroom drug test? RedeyedElf 1,731 5 02/23/02 12:35 AM
by Gumby
* Test if your pressure cooker is working!
( 1 2 all )
AnnoA 6,814 24 05/19/10 11:37 AM
by Barakanaten
* quicker method to dry shrooms? could solar food dryer be mod greenshaman 1,738 3 03/30/03 05:34 AM
by greenshaman
* substrate tea?
( 1 2 all )
toad857 7,367 20 06/06/04 05:01 AM
by goldtop
* potency and their stage in life NaujKhan 2,423 10 09/27/02 08:35 PM
by Zen Peddler
* First Ever Grow Tried Multiple Methods MrEntheogenic 151 16 09/28/26 09:40 AM
by langten69

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
18,118 topic views. 11 members, 147 guests and 266 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.