Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegreenshaman
quicker method to dry shrooms? could solar food dryer be mod
    #1417788 - 03/30/03 04:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My foaf has been moaning about how long it takes damp-rid tupperware bowls to dry his harvest.  Frsh fun guy's can take up to a week to become cracker dry. he's started laying them out on a window screen in front of a small oscillating fan after picking and rinising to get most of the moisture out, but this tends to turn the stems blue for some reason and he worries about potency loss.

So since he's computer illiterate here I am searching for other ways to help him out. 

I read that heat is bad that it lowers potency and what not, but then I hear wonderful stories about mushroom tea and have to wonder wtf  If I can boil em for 30 mins and still get off why would a temp of 140 (standard electric food dehydriter) lower potency?  Dont understand this at all, but assume others know more what theyre talking about. Can someone explain this please?

Anway I found an electric food dehydriter called "Excalibur" that has a thermostat from 85-140 d F.  its pricey (retail $199)  was wondering if anyone knew of another model that would work as well that doesn't cost so much?

Also came acress several plans for solar dryers and was wondering if something like this could be modified to dry shrooms?

quote from http://www.consciouschoice.com/sensible/sensible1211b.html

"As you might guess, my preference is a simple, low-cost, do-it-yourself solar food dryer. It uses no electricity, creates no pollution, and does not heat up your kitchen in the summer. Your kids will love it! The basic design is a plywood box tilted up toward the sun. It has an air inlet at the bottom and an outlet at the top. The glass top, (an old storm window works great) that faces the sun has a black metal sheet behind it. It is not good for the sun's rays to shine directly on the drying foods.

For the solar food dryer to work properly, the temperature inside the dryer should be a minimum of 110 degrees. If it is too cool and takes too long to dry the foods, they may spoil, so test your dryer with a thermometer. Put several bricks in the dryer to hold the solar heat longer into the evening. Fruits are best for a solar dryer. Since fruit has higher natural acidity than vegetables, less moisture must be removed to be preserved."

There's gotta be a better way than damp-rid

Thanks
Green Shaman :tongue: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: quicker method to dry shrooms? could solar food dryer be mod [Re: greenshaman]
    #1417798 - 03/30/03 04:12 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A fan, a plate/screen, some bags with holes, some damp rid and an airtight container. Simple. Cheap. Effective. Cracker dry in 5 days IME.

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: quicker method to dry shrooms? could solar food dryer be mod [Re: greenshaman]
    #1417924 - 03/30/03 07:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I use American Harvest Snackmaster food dehydrators.
You can find them in 2nd hand stores cheap....usually in like new condition.
These run around $70.00 brand new...in the 2nd hand stores they are between $3 to $7.
There is no loss of potency.

Fruits are dried in less than 24 hours...at 95 degrees F.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinegreenshaman
Re: quicker method to dry shrooms? could solar food dryer be mod [Re: Roadkill]
    #1417928 - 03/30/03 07:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

less than 24 hours with no loss of potency. Now thats something to look into.

Anyone try putting a dimmer switch on a standard electric dehydrator and lower the temps that way? Seems like it should work.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation