Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help
    #19856702 -

Ok so i'm staked up on spawn but i want to make the most (not the quicketst) but the most efficient for my time. Any experience and or advice would be great!

Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: Pappa Midnight]
    #19856711 -

Anything from 1:1 to 1:4 works well. Spawn to substrate.

More spawn = more nutrition

the range from 1:1 to 1:4 is the sweet spot, obviously better depends on what you want.

More spawn more nutrients more possible mushrooms 1:1 is the limit of what you get since you need enough bulk substrate to provide water

1:4 will colonize just fine but you may just toss after 2 flushes but most people toss after 3 flushes and sometimes the third flush is weak, it also depends on your genetics too.

Use what works for you but 1:2 is probably the most common.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19856726 -

i'm planning to dump 9 quatrt jars in to my coir is that acceptable or risky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: Pappa Midnight]
    #19856733 -

a whole 650G brick? most people will use about 7 quarts of spawn to a whole brick so you're fine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19856752 -

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19792837

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17447797#17447797

and the first link in my signature, scroll down to the part that says after the PF tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: bodhisatta]
    #29176264 -

Is 1:1 - 1:4 volume or weight ratio?

Edited by smallgrower (04/02/25 08:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower] * 2
    #29176270 -

si=PcOKZ7hDwDi8IRT5


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower] * 2
    #29176271 -

This is 10 years old.

It's a ratio that you can apply to either.
The ratio is relative.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower]
    #29176272 -

I just call one partially filled quart jar 1 part spawn, and 1 scoop of a 1L measuring cup 1 part sub.

It doesn't have to be exact or complicated


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower]
    #29176278 -

Someone else may have a better reply: but 1-4 is basically 1-part spawn to 4-parts substrate.

Ex: 1 quart of grain spawn to 4 (Myco) quarts coir.

Also: I see you’re new, welcome to the Shroomery! If you look at the post above yours from (the legend) Bohdisatta, you’ll see a date … this thread is from 2014, so it is old.

I’ll encourage you to look up “hitchhikers guide to the Shroomery”: it will teach you how to navigate this site the most effectively. (I’ll link it later when not in my phone, if no one else does shortly).

Again welcome to the BEST resource for mushroom cultivation!


--------------------
Faht Links to Faht Grow Skills
Yoshi's cheat sheet to grains

"Alice asks the White Rabbit, 'How long is forever?' and he replies, “'Sometimes, just one second.'”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #29176285 -

Thanks for the answers. I know what ratio is. But, for example, you can also apply % to both, volume and weight. However, during the first lesson in chemistry considering %, you can hear it is VERY important to specify whether you mean volume % or weight %. I thought this could be the same. And I think that in the case of coco coir particularly, the volume ratio and weight ratio can differ dramatically. Therefore I hoped the community could help me to clarify it. SG

Edit: I was in hurry cause I had this hydrated coir in my pressure cooker and suddenly didn't know whether I should measure the spawn and the coir by volume or using my scales. It seemed to me it differed dramatically. I did not notice that the thread was old and I didn't know I was not supposed to add my question to already existing thread. I kind of "panicked". My fault, I am sorry. 

Edited by smallgrower (04/02/25 09:04 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower]
    #29176302 -

It's not rocket appliances


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower] * 1
    #29176335 -

smallgrower said:
Thanks for the answers. I know what ratio is. But, for example, you can also apply % to both, volume and weight. However, during the first lesson in chemistry considering %, you can hear it is VERY important to specify whether you mean volume % or weight %. I thought this could be the same. And I think that in the case of coco coir particularly, the volume ratio and weight ratio can differ dramatically. Therefore I hoped the community could help me to clarify it. SG

Edit: I was in hurry cause I had this hydrated coir in my pressure cooker and suddenly didn't know whether I should measure the spawn and the coir by volume or using my scales. It seemed to me it differed dramatically. I did not notice that the thread was old and I didn't know I was not supposed to add my question to already existing thread. I kind of "panicked". My fault, I am sorry. 



It's not a problem to add your question to an existing thread, and people can take it or leave it anyway. What we're commenting on is the fact that the last post before yours was 11 years ago. Nothing gets deleted around here and it's nice to have the archive, but we try not to dredge it up if we can help it. Techniques evolve, and sometimes the very context of your question is no longer relevant. Also, you may well be asking a question of people that are no longer around.

Anyway, yeah, weight-to-volume ratios can vary, and then we also get into the matter compressing your substrates. But honestly coir that's fully hydrated with no excess water present is a pretty damn consistent substance. The truth is that people have thrown out "ratios" because they had to say SOMEthing. But these aren't chemistry lab ratios. They're more like "baking holiday cookies" ratios, or "how do you like your coffee" ratios. A wide range will work, and people have different reasons for what they do depending on what they're trying to optimize. Very few of us have even taken the measurements that would be needed to dial in more precise numbers, because it's just not that crucial a thing.

Also, I'd strongly recommend against using your pressure cooker for anything other than processing stuff in containers. And for coir, a sealed bucket that you add boiling water to is more than enough anyhow.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: smallgrower] * 1
    #29177451 -

Some extra advice for you Small, that really helped me I'm my search game was limiting the search parameters to 3-5 years. Next time you use the search feature you'll see a spot where you can limit the search to x years. I mainly start low, like the 1-3 year range but if I can't find anything Australian from there I'll dip into the 5+. It's crazy how much has changed.

Also, your question is extremely valid. I asked myself the same thing when the BRF (brown rice flour) Cakes introduced the 2:1:1 ratio to me. Once I thought about it for a second a realized this hobby is actually pretty damn simple so when in doubt, the simple option is probably the right one.

We aren't baking cakes, more like a casserole made from leftovers. Super simple.


--------------------
Accept the pain, but don't accept that you deserved it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: potato11teen]
    #29177690 -

Damn, I really should have looked this up sooner. Working on my first grow and I used an absolutely wack ratio... literally like 1 part spawn to like 10 parts substrate. Its going extremely slowly lmao. Oh well, it'll buff


--------------------
Free will is an illusion
And that's the most freeing thing in the world
Every molecule in existence already knows its path
So don't worry about knowing yours

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Im in need of some advice regarding spawn to coir ratio pleaese help [Re: neuralnautwork]
    #29177701 -

Honestly, these days I kind of visualize it as I'm mixing, just picturing the mycelium reachng out from the colonized grains into the substrate. I want each grain to have a decent bit of substrate surrounding it ij every direction, but I also want those strands reaching out to connect with each other in a reasonable amount of time, and form a solid lattice of grains. Maybe I'll try to measure the actual distance I like the next few times I spawn.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* whats a good spawn/substate ratio? Gr0wer 3,134 6 01/24/04 12:36 PM
by The_Mushroomm_Man
* Spawn / straw ratio? Vertigo 2,833 4 10/07/03 08:25 PM
by automan
* Coco Coir Teks? Magician26 12,965 8 12/31/02 01:21 PM
by debianlinux
* Low Risk Poo Spawning Idea! Opinions Please!! Gthirteens 1,314 1 01/23/03 12:34 AM
by Roadkill
* Should I worry about the PH when using the 60/40...? wicish1 816 6 08/20/03 05:15 AM
by charvo
* bulk spawn ratios?? rebelmoon 5,096 15 03/23/02 09:36 PM
by bluhoney
* Here's my "Creeper" spawning run down... give me the "OK"! Gthirteens 1,629 4 01/17/03 08:47 PM
by Gthirteens
* hydrated lime substrate ratio? charvo 2,121 4 07/10/03 02:19 PM
by george castanza

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
554 topic views. 20 members, 89 guests and 269 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.