Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
New guy question -- end phase watering required?
    #29007235 -

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for a month or so as I kickstarted my first grow.  I've been learning a lot (thanks largely to the forums).  I made a bunch of minor mistakes, but found guidance to basically every question/issue I've encountered on this site.

I know there's a big section that looks like contam in my picture... it likely is!  The "contam" section hasn't changed in weeks (hasn't grown, if anything it shrunk a bit).  The monotub is somewhat isolated (detached garage with a tent being vented directly outside).  I say "somewhat", because obviously I opened it up to take a couple snapshots.  I will be tossing this after the first flush and starting over as I have some other tubs (a couple weeks behind) that are in much better shape. 

The CVG was properly hydrated to field capacity... it took a pretty good squeeze to get out drops.  The pins have been steadily growing without issue. 

Question: Do I need to add water from what you can see on the picture?  The substrate (if that's the right term), has shrunk a fair bit.  I haven't (knowingly) observed aborts.  Growth seems constant (exponetial, in fact), so in the absence of advice I'm just going to leave it to do its thing.

Your feedback on "leave it alone" or "it desperately needs water" would be appreciated! 

If I should just leave it, would there be an early indicator to look for (aborts, stretching, etc) that I should look for as a clue that it's gonna need more hydration?

More background if needed:
- spawned to bulk via fully colonized 2 quarts of WBS grainspawn
- fruiting conditions set after 1 week in bulk
- CVG mix
617 g coco coir
6.75 cups dry vermiculite
13.5 cups boiling water
0.84 cup gypsum
- I only used a portion of the CVG (enough to mix with grainspawn and fill 2.5")
- Sterlite 19L container
- Light cycle 12/12
- Internal monotub temperature control between 69F at night and 77F during the day.
- Hourly complete refresh of fresh air into the tent with old stale air exhausting outside
- Humidity of the tent maintained between 60%-62% relative humdity
- Humidity 1 inch from a hole in the monotub is a steady 99%

Here's a picture from a few hours ago...


From a couple of days ago.  Just to show you the monotub it's in (usually with the lid on, of course)...


Sorry for the long-winded question!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy question -- end phase watering required? [Re: hatguy]
    #29007263 -

Welcome to the organic drug factory! :lol:
Looks ok. Let it ride.
The surface stain is a bit sus, but if they are growing...
Very clustery culture :rockon:
617 g coco coir and verm for 2qt of spawn is a bit too much, that's around 1:6ish? Point to 1:2 or 1:3 ratio... so yeah, they definitely have enough water available.
The FAE hole setup is also a bit random...
But hey, very nice dense clusters for your first grow, rejoice!
:leocheers:


--------------------
“All this buttoning and unbuttoning”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy question -- end phase watering required? [Re: hatguy]
    #29007277 -

There are a couple things going on.

First, if you're using an unknown culture, meaning anything that you haven't tested or sourced from someone who's already grown it, it might not want to pin evenly.

The rest is up to the conditions you create. Cubensis doesn't need a tent, you can just dial in the tub and leave it in a room where the temperature is comfortable for a person to be in.

The pic looks super dry, and you have too much air exchange in the tent. All the moisture readings you mentioned are irrelevant, what you want is for the moisture to be visibly present on the surface of the substrate as small droplets of water, from the time the surface is colonized and the water beads start to form on the mycelium until all the pins come in. Reference this thread for pics of how it should look. These conditions can be easily confirmed just by looking at the tub, so you don't need any hygrometers to monitor your moisture levels.

If the drops are disappearing from a spot on the surface or as a whole, you add water by misting until you have droplets again. Ideally you want to mist minimally or not at all. To this end you tweak the holes on the tub by covering or uncovering them until it begins to hold the moisture in reliably.

All this makes the tent not necessary, because you can create the conditions you need by just dialing in your tub and leaving it in a room with favorable temperature.

You mentioned temp control, if you use a heating mat or any other heat source in close proximity to the tub, that only serves to dry it up quicker by creating more evaporation. You want the ambient temperature in the room to be suitable for growing instead of heating the tub.

At this point the pins have already grown a good amount. I'd wait until they can be picked and then bottom water the tub until it stops absorbing water or just dunk it for a couple hours and drain it off to rehydrate it. You can also do the punisher tek to clear off the surface and wait for new mycelium to cover it so you can create better conditions for the second flush.

You've done very well to get here, so once you take care of this and figure out your tub setup you should be seeing better pinsets.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy question -- end phase watering required? [Re: 999999999]
    #29007293 -

Thanks 9^9!

I originally had 3 jars of WBS, but one was slower than the other two to colonize, so it didn't make the cut.  I didn't use all of the CVG I had planned due to that, but I bet it was still around 1:6 in the end.  That's one of many things things I've set out to improve in the future :smile: 

My other tubs (a couple weeks behind), I spawned at a 1:4 ratio and they look way healthier to me.  I moved from direct agar to LC which improved my spawn quality/colonization time.  It takes more time up front to go agar -> LC -> wait for LC to colonize -> test LC on agar -> then to spawn, but it seems to be paying dividends in the end. 

Thanks for the encouragement!  Hopefully I'll be sampling the fruits this weekend!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy question -- end phase watering required? [Re: LyleChipperson]
    #29007306 -

Thanks LyleChipperson!

I had a feeling it was dry.  Up until a couple days ago there were perfect little beads of water on the surface at all times, but after pinning it has gotten a fair bit dryer.  I can double-up my micropore tape everywhere too... there's just one layer.  My garage sits at about 40F and around 20% humidity, so my goal of the tent was just to have a buffer between the ambient environment and monotub itself (also to disguise what's growing there a bit!)

I was going to toss after my first flush, but the punisher method sounds like something worth trying.

You are right about the heat mat.  I have two of them under the tent itself with a 1 inch air gap
under the monotub.

I'm glad this culture is resilient because I've definitely made a series of small mistakes fumbling my way through.

Thanks for your encouragement, LyleChipperson.  Much appreciated!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Casing and RH question rivermonk 679 2 05/27/02 09:58 AM
by angryshroom
* Odd question ? Waters 682 3 10/13/01 11:58 PM
by sylo
* Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers
( 1 2 3 4 ... 4022 4023 )
Nichrome 1,155,595 80,455 10/01/26 11:46 PM
by Rasmodius
* First timer with Invitro/Neglect Tek Questions mtglu 4,010 7 09/12/23 09:52 AM
by DERRAYLD
* Another Newbie Question about casing's? La_casper 3,484 12 06/25/02 11:07 AM
by nw2shroom
* Quick Casing Question *HeGz* 975 1 05/10/01 02:06 PM
by 40oz
* Re: Question about birdseed substrate... Anonymous 1,230 2 12/24/99 10:01 PM
by Anonymous
* Hawkeye and Alient tek questions farmer_maggot 2,775 3 08/14/01 02:50 AM
by Anno

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
126 topic views. 6 members, 74 guests and 228 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.