Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]
Any of you own a gun? * 4
    #28943839 -

I grew up with guns, guns were always a part of life. My father was a gun enthusiast. He's a Vietnam vet and I think that experience left him shook, and always aware of what it could come to.

I sort of look at it as a man's right of passage, carrying a firearm.

I think there's all sorts of problems with the mentally ill getting their hands on guns, but I am very appreciative of the fact that I live in a country that let's me take care of a situation, should - god forbid - it ever jumped off. I appreciate the fact that the police aren't responsible for my safety, I'm responsible for my own safety and the safety of my loved ones, period. I also truly respect the fact that some people want nothing to do with em. To each their own.

But let's leave all the politics and debate at the door, this ain't a thread about whether 2A is good or bad, I'm simply curious how many of you own firearms, and if so, what? Do you carry? Open or concealed? Just a weapon at home for home defense?

Let's talk about it.
Own a gun?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from the dawn of the universe until the end of time
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney] * 1
    #28943857 -

You can't leave the politics at the door with guns; they are inherent to the conversation when every day kids are killed by school shootings in this country. No i dont enjoy target shootings and I don't hunt and I don't need a gun to protect my family. I guess that answers your question?


But it's cool you're so totes progressive and all I'm sure your gun advocacy is in this vein since you are such an ally (:tongue2:) Kamala owns guns after. Usa usa usa


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Edited by QuantumZ00 (09/12/24 01:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: QuantumZ00]
    #28943864 -

That's cool, to each their own.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney] * 2
    #28943894 -

I use to but got rid of it when I was extremely suicidal, I was more likely to kill myself with it than an intruder or assailant

I'll probably get one again at some point now that I'm in a good headspace again


--------------------
Lead by example, words mean little when your actions don't reflect what you say.

Spread kindness, love, empathy, compassion.

Learn from mistakes. Try and do better. Each day is a new day, try to make it a better one.

Coconut and Avocado is awesome for the skin.

MIND OVER MATTER

:mushroom2::lsd:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: TrancedOutBrah]
    #28943902 -

Damn, yeah good call on that man. That's responsible ownership.

Owning and carrying a weapon is a huge amount of responsibility, gotta check in with yourself and make absolutely certain you're on your P's and Q's mentally/psychologically.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney]
    #28943959 -

I grew up on a farm so there were guns. We'd take care of pests and put animals out of misery with them. Plink targets for fun every now and then. They were just tools that we used when needed. Simpler times. I don't own a farm right now, so no guns.


--------------------
We are the music makers, the dreamers of dreams.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: Northerner] * 4
    #28943972 -

I have a semi auto large bore PCP airgun that has lethal force.

So: No "gun" but get the fuck off my lawn regardless.

9 shots of 9mm lead slugs that come flying in at 190+ joules while 70 joules is considered lethal force.

completely legal
completely lethal


very many people did very bad things to me when i was younger. If SHTF with riots under martial law, my home and whoever is in there with me will be protected.
I refuse to be re-victimized.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: Asante] * 1
    #28944096 -

Damn. Kind of surprised the poll is 50/50 right now.

I expected more like 90/10 or 80/20 No:Yes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney] * 3
    #28944100 -

I've shot a handful of guns; at targets as a kid, out in the woods of Oregon with family as an adolescent and young adult, with friend's guns at the range as an adult.  I'd venture that at least half of the people I know own guns, so the poll results don't surprise me.

Never owned one myself and although they can be a hoot to shoot, I just don't see any compelling reason for me to own one. The way I see it, the likelihood of someone invading my home is absurdly low, and if that happened, the likelihood that they would want to cause me personal harm is even lower, and if they did, the likelihood that I would have the necessary notice and capability to locate and prepare my safely and securely stored firearm for immediate use in a stressful situation, and actually use it to harm another human being... well, let's just say that I'd feel luckier buying a lottery ticket.

The associated statistics on accidental gun deaths make me in fact feel less safe with a firearm in my home, and particularly with a seven year old living in the home, it just seems like an insane risk to take.

I keep one of these in every room of the home, in the event some sort of close combat defense becomes necessary.  Seems like a safer tool to implement for home protection in efforts to minimize collateral damage and unintended consequence.


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: geokills]
    #28944146 -

geokills said:
I keep one of these in every room of the home, in the event some sort of close combat defense becomes necessary




Thats a wise choice! got one too, they're super wieldy in close quarters, kinda the wakizashi of sluggers.

Fine for opening a coconut :smile:


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: geokills] * 1
    #28944148 -

Where I live there's virtually no need for a gun. We do have a gun in the house in case but it's really not nessicary here. I do like shooting guns but it's too expensive a hobby for me I'm a pretty good shot though. I even started with black powder rifle and shot everything from handguns to shotguns to hunting rifles and on my 18th bday I shot an M4. Now that was fun.


--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa, Jellyfish
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: geokills]
    #28944149 -

geokills said:
The associated statistics on accidental gun deaths/injuries make me in fact feel less safe with a firearm in my home, and particularly with a seven year old living in the home, it just seems like an insane risk to take.





I definitely get not wanting to have it with a kid. For me personally, a kid would be MORE incentive to own a weapon to protect my family. Home invasions are scary business.. if someone is breaking into your home, that's a very extreme step to take, invading someones most personal space like that. They're already taking a very big risk, it's no huge step from there to come armed and dangerous. Very low chance, for sure, but I'd rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

It all comes down to practicing responsible ownership and gun safety, proper education, proper access control, and lots of training until your firearm safety habits are completely second nature. That's where most people become statistics. It's very easy in the US to be a moron or just a lazy/undisciplined person and still get a firearm. There's so many steps you can take to reduce the chance of any accident happening, that you can effectively mitigate it completely.

I'm speaking just for yourself though, then when your child was of an appropriate age, you would have to ensure they are instilled with all of this, and simply cannot access the weapon when you don't want them to, period. And these days, I think you have to be very much involved with whats going on with your kid psychologically and at school, and I'm no parent but I'm sure that's not always easy.

I absolutely respect your decision making process there. If you feel uncomfortable with it, you should either make good and damn sure you get comfortable, or not fuck with it at all. Lots to be said for trusting your gut intuition.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: geokills] * 1
    #28944153 -

I'm a felon in the u.s. I "dont" own a gun.

But I live in the hood. In America.
I never want to use any lethal force.
And only have been threatened to do so on one or two occasions.
I cannot afford zero occasion living areas.
Therefore I find it stupid if I "dont" own a firearm.
I am not stupid.
Risk assessment is what this sort of thing is about.
I am responsible and headstrong. I will not ever brandish unless threatened.
Desperate ppl behave desperately however, and the threat of violence us occasionally the only deterrent.
Ownership of a firearm is for that possible occasion.
Risk assessment


--------------------
hmm...

"I'm naked and fearless... And my fear is naked."

"life isn't worth living without the threat of death"

"I got my plans in a ziploc bag, let's see how unproductive we can be"

"nobody lives their lives fully except for bull fighters"

My Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney]
    #28944161 -



it's a bullpup (chamber in the back) that's more than an inch shorter than a AR-15

The 9mm airgun version performs very much like an .380 ACP

Its not the be-all-end-all, but its enough.

its bulky for a Ruger LCP Max but, its a legal airgun, no paper.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: Asante]
    #28944168 -

That fits my bill as I legally my limits are a crossbow and single shot musket.
Imagine a 50. Cal musket ball hitting you tho lul


--------------------
hmm...

"I'm naked and fearless... And my fear is naked."

"life isn't worth living without the threat of death"

"I got my plans in a ziploc bag, let's see how unproductive we can be"

"nobody lives their lives fully except for bull fighters"

My Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney] * 1
    #28944170 -

chutney said:
For me personally, a kid would be MORE incentive to own a weapon to protect my family. Home invasions are scary business..



We'd kill to save Geo's rugrat :supersaiyan:


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: Asante] * 1
    #28944232 -

We have a few rifles and hand guns and a shotgun on the farm. If I don't plink a few rabbits every so often the rattle snakes get too close to the house. We also have prairie dogs encroaching on our territory so I plink them too.

Our sister farm ran 10 head of cattle on our property and one of them had a tumor on it's brain stem that eventually caused it to lose control of it's bodily function. We didn't have any guns on hand to mercy kill it so we had to call our neighbor to borrow a gun. That pretty much tipped the scales towards gun ownership. Now that we have pigs that are regularly slaughtered on site we've stocked up on .22lr rounds.


--------------------
:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow:

:mushroom:Come a little bit closer
And get untied
In a hearse rollin' over
Just a track in the line
Fuck it:mushroom:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: KevinDontWave] * 2
    #28944292 -

I like guns too. My father is a old school professional trap shooter. He'd win first place in every tournament all around the usa and canada. Has multiple boxes of first place trophy's all in my basement and hats full of metals over 100 first place ones

His photos are in the gun clubs over here and there. Big time hunters and stuff 

He said the people in the usa were really nice to him. Really tough country guys

He'd never miss even with snow ice and wind blowing in his face. Endless story's


--------------------

Edited by Purple sunset (09/12/24 07:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: chutney] * 2
    #28944350 -

chutney said:
Damn. Kind of surprised the poll is 50/50 right now.

I expected more like 90/10 or 80/20 No:Yes.



I'm going to guess gun owners are more excited to talk about their guns than non


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Any of you own a gun? [Re: twighead]
    #28944962 -

Well you'd guess wrong cause the poll is still 50/50.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I bought a gun today :)
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ZippoZM 13,466 103 07/11/16 03:18 PM
by Jokeshopbeard
* Guns don't kill people...
( 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 )
mr_kite 15,556 261 06/09/09 02:52 PM
by Prisoner#1
* fucking burglars...
( 1 2 all )
lysergicide 4,288 22 11/19/07 05:58 AM
by EllisDSox
* Any suggestions for a badass concealed carry gun?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
RandalFlagg 11,455 90 12/29/16 08:03 AM
by Patlal
* IS OBAMA Taking OUR GUns AWaY???
( 1 2 3 4 ... 20 21 )
muddypotter 20,733 418 08/24/09 12:40 PM
by Tedwilto
* Gun vs Dog vs Security System tibberous 885 13 05/29/07 07:35 PM
by Legend9123
* Whats your opinion on guns?
( 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 )
I_was_the_walrus 12,151 276 01/11/10 03:14 AM
by T-Rex
* Gun Collection
( 1 2 all )
Ripple 4,556 37 12/14/08 04:22 PM
by Ripple

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,450 topic views. 1 members, 18 guests and 218 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.026 seconds on 21 queries.