Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Picless ID-o-Fun
    #2873268 - 07/09/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

My mom brought home this mushroom that she found up at the cottage earlier today, asking me if I knew what it was. I'm 90% sure I know what it is, but I'm not going to say just yet, since that could bias you people.

Cap: About 3 cm wide, flat; white, to very light grey in the centre; ridged around the edges; slight sheen.

Gills: White, dense, looks semi-detached to me.

Stem: White, featureless, and smooth. Hollow. Slightly more than 7 cm long. Thin volva at the base that goes about 2 cm up the stalk.

Smell: Mushroomy. Smells bad to me, but my mom said it smelled nice when she found it.

Location: South-central Ontario, Canada. Found growing next to our driveway near a patch of birches. I'd best describe the terrain around the driveway as 'mixed woodland', but not heavy. There's all sorts of light foliage, with medium-sparse trees scattered about. Coolish temperature, low rain (but some).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Picless ID-o-Fun [Re: Kasumeat]
    #2873609 - 07/09/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

spore print color???

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Re: Picless ID-o-Fun [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2873637 - 07/09/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, completely slipped my mind.  :crazy:

Working on it now. It's very early still, but it's definitely looking white. Not a surprise ...

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2873658 - 07/09/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like Amanita to me. the description leads me to think grisette but since i have little to go on, i can't even be sure of the genus atm.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2873707 - 07/09/04 04:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Is or was there a ring on the stem? The spore print color will also be very important.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Re: Picless ID-o-Fun [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2874838 - 07/09/04 11:40 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There's no ring on the stem. It's completely smooth and featureless until you get down to the volva.

The spore print indeed turned out to be white.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2874865 - 07/09/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

If they are truly ringless (they can lose the rings easily and leave no obvious evidence that they were ever there), then concretefeet is correct and you have a grisette. Grisettes are edible if cooked thoroughly, but I would avoid eating one unless the spores were tested with Meltzer's Reagent to verify that they aren't amyloid. The risk of accidentally eating a deadly Amanita that had lost its ring has too high a penalty to be worth it. It's also best if you can find some still almost egg-like in their universal veil, so that you can be sure that a partial veil would be observable if one were present.

Of course, once you've found several specimens of both kinds, it should be much easier to tell them apart. In my area (Colorado), there have only been a couple finds ever of the deadly Amanitas (I haven't found them), so I will remain nervous about eating Amanitas.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Re: Picless ID-o-Fun [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2875096 - 07/10/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, that's what I thought. Good to know. I suppose if I want to narrow it down any further, I'll need to get a microscope on these spores.

I don't plan to eat it. I'm 99 sure that this isn't a deadly Amanita, but that's quite worth the risk to me. I don't have any Meltzer's, so that's that. It's a bit rotten too, so this is a moot point. :P

I think I've found Destroying Angels (I forget the latin name) out here once before, although I can't say for sure, since I didn't pick them or take detailed notes. Supposedly they're quite common in Ontario. Long story short, I don't plan on eating any Amanitas anytime soon.

Thanks for the help guys and/or girls!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2875167 - 07/10/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There are several very similar species of deadly Amanita. Dr Tulloss has a good key on his website that you can download.

With Meltzer's, distinguishing the deadly Amanitas from the grisettes is easy - the deadly species have amyloid spores and the grisettes have inamyloid spores. In experiments I've done, it appears that Tincture of Iodine can be used as a substitute for Meltzer's, but the professionals are pretty strict about using only Meltzer's. On the other hand, they can actually get the stuff. It requires Chloral Hydrate, which is a controlled substance.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract