Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility
    #2865276 - 07/07/04 02:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hi everyone. Well, my buddy has his grain jars colonizing now. He's probably going to case several, and try to spawn some outside to a compost hole for the hell of it. But my friend here is a little concerned about sterility and contamination possibilities when transferring the grain to the casing containers. He's planning to use just coir for the casing and substrate layer, and I believe he'll sterilize this beforehand. I'm sure he'll wipe down the containers with alcohol, too. But he's wondering about using plastic bags as receptacles for the colonized substrate from the jar. Are just any store-bought sandwich bags okay in terms of their sterility? Should he wipe the bags down with alcohol, or would this inhibit the growth of the mycelium after it comes into contact with the alcohol residue in the bag?
This guy has read the casing FAQ. This point just seems to be an "in-between" stage that someone with experience might be able to shed some light on.
I give you all many thanks on his behalf.

GB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2865923 - 07/07/04 04:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, something is sure with mushroom cultivation, you always want to be as clean as possible. If you case some colonized grain in a pan or any kind of container, note that contamination has more chances of growing on the casing layer itself than on the colonized grain.

You better take a clean container and spend 30 seconds of your timer whipping it with alcohol. Don't worry with alcohol residue, i'm pretty sure there's not such thing as this and if so, it's not a problem anyway. Then, open your grain jar and with a clean spoon (alcohol again), just put the substrate in your container. Clean your spoon again and then apply the casing layer (sterile casing material). Just put enough to barely cover the substrate. Thicker casing layers are only useful with larger bulk projects.

Cover the casing with clean aluminium ( I usually whip it with alcohol, just to be safe) and incubate for 3 days.

Then, patch the first spots of myc again with some sterile casing and a clean spoon and put in your terrarium with around 90% RH, 12 hours of light, and somewhere 20-25 C temp. Give it at least 3 air exchange a day, more if you can.

Too much RH is not a problem but note that contams will sprout faster at 99% compared to 90%.

I don't really understand why you would want to use a plastic bag in the whole process, just not necessary.

Good luck!

.fs.

Offlinegardentoad
gardener
Female
Loc: CA
    #2866004 - 07/07/04 05:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hello there. I am relatively new at this. I have had good luck by being really clean at the time of the procedure. I wash down all flat surfaces. I wear clean clothes and take a shower first. I spray the air with lysol about a half hour before working and keep the windows closed. I wear latex gloves and I clean the outside of the jars with alcohol before opening them. Good results so far.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2866111 - 07/07/04 05:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There is no need to be sterile once jars are colonized. Be clean, but not sterile. Don't sterilize compost or coir. Pasteurize only. If you sterilize compost or casing material, they will contam faster than if you pasteurize them. Good luck!!

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2866903 - 07/07/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks to all for the helpful insights! This clears things up for me. Now, just have to wait and see if the jars fully colonize contam-free.
Thanks again.

GB

Offlineentheobloom
explorer

#2866911 - 07/07/04 09:41 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Why does your buddy not put the colonized grain to pasturized harse poo???
Might be a good thing

--------------------
just tryin' to keep on keeping on ;-)

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: entheobloom]
    #2866968 - 07/07/04 09:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, see, my bud has very tempermental olfactory infirmaties. Moreover, this is his first grow, so he's going to shy away from poo and try to keep things relatively simple. He says thanks for the idea, though. He's a forward-thinking sort of guy so he may get into poo in the future.

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2867752 - 07/08/04 04:24 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
There is no need to be sterile once jars are colonized. Be clean, but not sterile. Don't sterilize compost or coir. Pasteurize only. If you sterilize compost or casing material, they will contam faster than if you pasteurize them. Good luck!!

AFOAF was recently surprised by his bulk projects contaming. The bulk substrate was pausterized.

Offlineentheobloom
explorer

Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: Tantalus]
    #2868410 - 07/08/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well...let your buddies tempermental olfactory sensory organs know that while pasturizing harse poo...the smell actually is not bad at all. Smells rather of sweet hay...or how mowed grass smells after sitting in the sun drying out for a couple of days. For future reference...should your buddy go out on a poo hunting field trip..he only wants the poo that is somewhat dried out. If it smells of vinigary piss, its too fresh.

--------------------
just tryin' to keep on keeping on ;-)

InvisibleGnuBobo
 User Gallery

Re: Transferring grain from jars to casing: help w/ sterility [Re: entheobloom]
    #2868650 - 07/08/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'll pass that along, thanks :wink:.  Vinegary urine poo = bad.  Hay poo = good. 

GB

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates