Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Inductive / Deductive
    #2817583 - 06/22/04 03:15 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Can someone please explain to me the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning and arguments.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Inductive / Deductive [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2817674 - 06/22/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

one's the opposite of the other

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2817729 - 06/22/04 04:06 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Inductive reasoning is reasoning from detailed facts to general principles (or from the effect to the cause). Whereas, deductive reasoning is reasoning from the general to the particular (or from cause to effect).

Surely, you have looked this up yourself. So, what is your particular problem with understanding these modes of reasoing?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: Inductive / Deductive [Re: Sclorch]
    #2818364 - 06/22/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Prisoner#1 and I disagree on the meaning of inductive and deductive logic. He is trying to tell me that my understanding of it has been outdated for 200 years. See the last few pages in the OTD thread "the scam of G11." He is criticising my assertion that methamphetamine could be used to make LSD because apparently the argument is faulty. I have argued that my assertion is correct, because it uses inductive reasoning with a lot of supporting evidence.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2819948 - 06/23/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, first of all... I don't go in OTD... for a good reason.

If you want to argue about definitions of methods of reasoning in reference to a chemistry assertion, then take it back to OTD. If you want an honest answer from me - and you PROMISE not to take it the wrong way, then scroll down...

I don't know what your "evidence" is or where you obtained it, but you're flat out WRONG. Though it is technically possible to break a chemical like methamphetamine down into smaller molecules which, with further processing, COULD be used in one of the precursor reactions in the synthesis of LSD... it is ASININE to suggest that methamphetamine could be used (with decent yields) to make LSD. It would be both a practical and economical nightmare. If you'd like to further your own understanding of the chemistry involved in said synthesis, I suggest you hit the library, pick up a few organic chemistry books, and study up on molecular structures, functional groups, and basic organic reactions.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2821938 - 06/23/04 06:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Go take Phi 101: Introductory Logic.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Inductive / Deductive [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2821948 - 06/23/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

(barfs)

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2822138 - 06/23/04 07:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
it is ASININE to suggest that methamphetamine could be used (with decent yields) to make LSD.

That wasn't my suggestion. Calm down. You don't know what the context was. You just made the assumption that I am basically a complete and utter moron. In fact, I specifically said that the procedure would be so impractical that it was useless.

Quote:

It would be both a practical and economical nightmare.

Thank you. That's what I said.

This is exactly what I said:
Quote:

Phencyclidine said: I'm sure that it *could* be done, just as you *could* make LSD from napthalene. Not going to happen.

Quote:

If you'd like to further your own understanding of the chemistry involved in said synthesis, I suggest you hit the library, pick up a few organic chemistry books, and study up on molecular structures, functional groups, and basic organic reactions.

I have a degree in chemistry.

Quote:

Though it is technically possible to break a chemical like methamphetamine down into smaller molecules which, with further processing, COULD be used in one of the precursor reactions in the synthesis of LSD...

And that is exactly the claim that I made.

Now, if you had bothered to look at the thread instead of assuming that I'm a total idiot who knows nothing about organic chemistry, you would have found that the nature of the debate was on whether or not it was okay for me to say that it technically *could* be done (and this did not imply an easy procedure or high yields). I simply used my knowledge of organic chemistry to come to the conclusion that, regardless of yield, it was *merely possible* to produce LSD from methamphetamine. Prisoner#1 argued otherwise and stated that it was incorrect to say that it *could* be done until it had been done.

Once again, thank you for assuming that I am a complete and utter moron.

Edited by Phencyclidine (06/23/04 07:46 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2822194 - 06/23/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wehehehelllllll......
I'm calm now... as I was when I wrote that last post. Sorry that I didn't check out your other thread - I refuse to enter OTD.

I'm glad that we agree. Your OTD friend is a fucking moron if he doesn't agree with you (assuming that he understands you in the first place). Plain and simple. I don't see how inductive and deductive logic play any role here... the matter is cut and dry. It is possible, but highly impractical.

Now tell me... WHY are you wasting your time in OTD?

--------------------

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2822346 - 06/23/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
Wehehehelllllll......
I'm calm now... as I was when I wrote that last post. Sorry that I didn't check out your other thread - I refuse to enter OTD.

I'm glad that we agree.

As am I. No hard feelings?

Quote:

I don't see how inductive and deductive logic play any role here...

I said that I concluded that it "could" be on by using inductive logic. He kept insisting that I was using deductive logic. We disagreed.
Quote:

Now tell me... WHY are you wasting your time in OTD?

I've got to have some fun.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom