Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: pressure cooker how to
    #26058 - 07/29/00 07:04 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

in all honesty, you don't even need a pressure cooker. you can simply use a pot of boiling water. some folks may tell you that you risk contamination by doing so, but i've been using the pot of boiling water method for a very long time now with a very small contamination ratio. and not only is this method easier to use, but you don't need to worry about blowing out a side of your kitchen due to ill knowledge on the workings of pressure cookers. just take a big metal pot, line the bottom with a dish towel, place as many jars in as you can (the more snug they are, the less likely they are to float around when the water boils), pour water into the pot (just enough so it comes up to the halfway point on the jars), place on the stove, and let them cook for a good hour. when you're finished, turn the stove off and let them sit in the water for another two hours. after that, take them out and place them in a box overnight. the next day, take the foil/tape off the jars and you're ready to inoculate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKrupa
veteran
    #26060 - 07/29/00 07:42 PM (23 years, 8 months ago)

struk is kinda right.
If you're using PF-type jars, boiling them for an hour+ should give pretty good results. Works fine for me.
But on the other hand, if you plan to use grains like rye or finch seed, etc., you'll almost certainly fail without a pressure cooker. All in all, a pressure cooker is the best to sterilize subsrate economically.
As for instructions, I really don't know. I'm sure someone here can give you good advice, though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

OfflineTomInWonderland
Just here to help out
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #26061 - 07/30/00 10:58 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

I bought my pressure cooker on a farm.

Anonymous

#26062 - 07/30/00 09:04 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

You can buy a pressure cooker at Target for forty bucks. Sure you'll only get 8 1/2 pint jars in it, but that's not that big a deal is it?

I actually just started my first effort at cultivation and I pressure-sterilized all my jars. I've also used my pressure cooker to can beef, and even beef only needs I think it's an hour to be considered sterile at 15psi. Anyway my beef stew hasn't spoiled. But I pressure-sterilized my jars for 35 minutes and they all just germinated and I don't see any off-colors yet!

OfflineFun-Guy
journeyman
    #26063 - 07/30/00 09:12 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

no one has really answered my question. I just want to know how to use it. I have a pretty good idea but I just want some one else to tell me how they do it. I have been using the pot of boiling water and with 14 jars there is no sign of contaminates. I am just curious.

Please again

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest US
    #26064 - 07/30/00 09:16 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Pressure cookers are the cats meow. To use yours Fun-Guy just put about an inch of water in the bottem. Make sure there is a rack or grate in the bottem so the jars don't sit right on the bottem of the cooker. Put in your jars or filter bags or whatever. Put on the lid and put it on the stove on high. It'll take about 20 minutes for a 22 qt. cooker to build pressure. About half that for a smaller one. Once the little weight on top starts jiggling, turn down the stove to med-high. It should hiss a little constantly, but only jiggle a couple times per minute. Start your time when it starts jiggling. 20 minutes for pf jars at 15 psi. is fine.

------------------
night train

--------------------
Lil' Shop of Spores - Exotic Mushroom Spores From Around the World
Save 10% Off Any Order Use Coupon Code: SHROOMERY

OfflineFun-Guy
journeyman
    #26065 - 07/31/00 08:03 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for everyones input and thanks Night-train for the instuctions. And I as right the whole time I just needed to be sure.

Once again thanks a hell of alot!

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #26066 - 07/31/00 09:24 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Hi,
Since you said you have an old pressure cooker, I'm not quite sure if it will help? Look around this site possibly.
http://www.presto-net.com/ppcinstitute/pressurecookingmethod.html

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #26067 - 07/31/00 09:30 AM (23 years, 8 months ago)

Wait a minute! I've got another link to learn about pressure cookers. This file is a .pdf file so you'll need a program like Adobe "Acrobat" to view it.

24 pages of pressure cooker info:_)
http://www.appliances.com/prestoteachkit.pdf

If you can't see the .pdf, here's where you can find the link to the info
http://www.appliances.com/dept23.html

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and hit the link entitled "Presto? Pressure Cooking Course (PDF File)"

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom