Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24780465 -

how do people post with holey heads? this shit is some swiss cheese type of shit.

"muh green party membership" :flowstone:

:facepalm: geolibertarianism is much better and isn't crassly stupid, like the greens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24781418 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I've been with the Green Party for the last 15 years, and they have an even larger membership.  I'm curious to see where the two differ.  I'll try to read up on it tonight to see if I can find any major differences.



I did  quick Google search, and perhaps the one key difference I found is that the Green Party of the United States lists "decentralization" as one of its Ten Key Values.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #24781828 -

main difference (besides DSA being explicitly socialist, while Greens are more of an umbrella) is that DSA isnt a political party. I would not be surprised to see DSA members run on the Green ticket, especially in CA where both groups have substantial support.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24781983 -

Grab your kids, grab your wife, were sharing everything and it'll be great! :cookiemonster:


--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Herbologist] * 4
    #24781992 -

Don't forget husband. In the quest for equality, we will force everyone to be bisexual in the future world of fully-automated-luxury-space-communism.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Herbologist]
    #24782370 -

Herbologist said:
Grab your kids, grab your wife, were sharing everything and it'll be great! :cookiemonster:



:lolwut:

You don't get it AT ALL.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24782407 -

The Ecstatic said:
main difference (besides DSA being explicitly socialist, while Greens are more of an umbrella) is that DSA isnt a political party.  I would not be surprised to see DSA members run on the Green ticket, especially in CA where both groups have substantial support.



Ah ok, I didn't realize that.  Yes, agreed; I'm sure the Green party would have no problem running a Democratic Socialist.  :smirk:


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #24786760 -



--------------------
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Tipote] * 2
    #24807041 -

Now that I'm unbanned, I can share what happened at our general meeting last week.

Unfortunately, weather was shitty and only about 30 of us made it out, but we spent most of our time discussing upcoming local races and strategy for support. I like that DSA chapters tend to focus on local politics, handwringing about national politics often feels like you're just spinning your wheels. That said, we did discuss Medicare For All strategy, as thats the current national focus for DSA.

We also set up a few free brake light replacement events in the more impoverished parts of town. Its good praxis and a nice thing to do in general, but more importantly it removes the shaky pretense that police use to harass people.

Also, got some nice news about the state of our official chapterhood, being that we just recently surpassed the necessary member threshold for an official designation. Basically, the national DSA office in Brooklyn has been so swamped with processing new chapters around the country that they simply cant get through them all. Yay, optimism!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic] * 2
    #24807051 -

This map is kinda old and doesnt show a few dozen chapters, but is a decent representation of DSA across the country (31k members total):



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #24807300 -

I did wonder where you went. What did you do?!

amazing! thanks for the update.

great points about the brake light replacements. excellent praxis.

excellent food for thought for actions here in the UK.


--------------------
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #24885326 -

More good news for Socialists:

Most Democrats Prefer Socialism to Capitalism

Quote:
Lending credence to the momentum behind Bernie Sanders' grassroots campaign, a poll released on Monday finds that Democratic primary voters prefer socialism to capitalism by a wide margin.

The poll stated that people who support socialism believe that "corporations have too much control and that the capitalist system is set to favor the rich and powerful," and the government should "take a larger role in managing the economy to make sure that every individual has equal access to basic necessities and public goods, even if that means that some people have to transfer their wealth to others."

In response, 40 percent of those polled said they preferred socialism while only 25 percent chose capitalism. The preference for socialism held true for all demographic groups.



By significant margins, a majority of poll respondents also supported a public, government-run healthcare system, free tuition at public colleges and universities, and more government regulation of private corporations.



:shocked:

Edit:  Oops, sorry - that was an old poll (Feb '16).  Still news to me nonetheless.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Edited by Falcon91Wolvrn03 (01/02/18 10:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 4
    #24885885 -

Its trending towards socialism, wouldnt surprise me if the numbers were even higher.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic] * 2
    #25300302 -




We keep growing. We're getting working class people elected to city councils, state assemblies, and now the House of Representatives. And our message resonates with millions of Americans who are fed up with establishment politics, which only cater to the rich.

Join us!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #25301918 -

Eugene Debs got a million votes for President from a prison cell.


--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Simulacrum
The truth which conceals that there is none

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: Brian Jones]
    #25304573 -

Here's an OpEd in the NY Daily News by the national director of DSA, Maria Svart:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-democratic-socialists-getting-started-20180702-story.html


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #25304607 -

Would you agree with a hybrid economic theory, say a mix of capitalism and socialism? Or are you a hardliner?. Looking for the reasons why socialism (you think) is less flawed then capitalism.


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #25304844 -

The United States is more socialist than not at this point in its history. I think we are facing extremely difficult economic times regardless of the future path we take. The problems with socialist and communist economies are not as bad as the problems associated with usury and our debt based economy. What is slightly funny is that the reason for the socialist French Revolution was the same thing, banks lending money to governments at interest which was passed on to the citizens as constantly increasing taxes. So it seems that the real problem economically is and has always been usury. Once you start to realize that the only one who benefits is the lender and that people can easily be bought, you will start to realize why the world is the way it is. But, those in positions of true power don't care about money, they care about control. Having people living free, independent, sovereign lives is threatening to them as they are not controlled, even if they are poor. A communist and socialist system weakens the spirit and generates apathy by offering enough to keep people from being hungry and cold, while denying people the hope of achieving an improvement in their quality of life. The human learns to do as little as possible in order to get his benefits. The economical aspects are not as important to me as the impact they have on human potential, motivation and spirit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: SirTripAlot] * 4
    #25304952 -

SirTripAlot said:
Would you agree with a hybrid economic theory, say a mix of capitalism and socialism? Or are you a hardliner?. Looking for the reasons why socialism (you think) is less flawed then capitalism.



Democratic socialism is a hybrid, as DSA members like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez aren't calling for the US government to seize the means of production.

A hybrid model will always be susceptible to the power and influence of capitalism. Look at the erosion of rights, wages, and the power of labor over the past 50 years. The insatiable pursuit of profit is ever present, and relentless.

That said, we arent going to move the Overton Window by calls to abolish private property, so the DSA is our best chance for at least some SANE policy goals: medicare for all, subsidized housing, reduction in militarism, protect the environment. Basically the DSA is saying "if we're going to be slaves to this capitalist system, at least make sure we dont starve, dont get poisoned, dont get sick and die."


Why I think socialism is better than capitalism is pretty easy: socialism is centered around justice and capitalism is centered around exploitation.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Democratic Socialists of America [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #25305024 -

I still believe in capitalism, but understand it's flaws....but socialism is not the dirty word I once thought it was.

What I find difficult to grasp is the justice aspect you speak of. Who or whom decides what is just? This is also a huge question for capitalism as well...as we see unjust results because of it. What I can't get my head around is swapping one for the other...the attempts to approach socialism have resulted in some oppressive, dictatorial governments.....and situations like Venezuela. Tell me where I am wrong.


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Edited by SirTripAlot (07/02/18 07:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 59 Socialists in Congress - 2002
( 1 2 all )
Ellis Dee 2,380 22 09/20/02 11:11 PM
by Albino_Jesus
* An Anarchistic Socialistic Democratic Society
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Teotzlcoatl 7,087 63 07/27/07 05:57 PM
by Teotzlcoatl
* hey socialists...
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,043 32 09/17/03 11:46 PM
by Phred
* America's role in the Chilean coup Edame 923 16 09/11/03 03:00 PM
by Xlea321
* HITLER WAS A SOCIALIST
( 1 2 3 all )
lonestar2004 5,302 40 02/25/07 02:16 PM
by gluke bastid
* How can anyone vote for a Democrat? luvdemshrooms 2,165 9 07/16/02 04:49 PM
by I_Fart_Blue
* America: Heading to Fascism... reporter warning... andrewss 1,584 11 09/27/07 08:15 PM
by kriminalelement
* Fascist America, in 10 easy steps FrenchSocialist 1,575 3 04/30/07 10:17 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
9,277 topic views. 3 members, 29 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.