Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Studies of psilocybin/LSD in treating depression?
    #2434008 - 03/15/04 09:21 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Recently my wife and I have been noticing very pleasing side effects from our weekly use of mushrooms. We'd been having a bit of a tough time with depression, and we'd actually been talking to doctors who immediately started feeding my wife several antipsychotics/antidepressants (they hand them out like candy on her first visit!). None of those seemed to work, and so she stopped taking them.

We recently took up growing our own mushrooms, as we always enjoyed them, and so we've had enough to enjoy whenever we want lately, and have noticed not only pleasant effects while "tripping", but also in our day to day lives. We are more patient with not only each other, but other people as well. Our outlook is more positive. We are enjoying our work more.

What I'm wondering is if there have been any studies of using psychedelics to treat depression. Anyone have any good links on this subject?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerdnp2035
Stranger

Re: Studies of psilocybin/LSD in treating depression? [Re: ChiLong]
    #2434036 - 03/15/04 09:36 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Since both psilocybin and LSD where made illegal in the late '60's (what's the year? i'm not going to look it up right now..) there have been almost no studies done of them what-so-ever. This is because they were put on Schedual One status, where even medical studies are banned. Of course, most other illegal drugs are not in this class of drugs "with no research potential", even addictive drugs with overdose potential, like cocain. Those government bastards. So any study to look into would be 40 years old or more, from the early and only days american of psychedelic research. However, there was a lot of research done in those few years. A lot of it was focused on psychotherapy and addiction treatment. The use of both of these compounds was found to be amazingly effective in treatment ("like 10 years of psychotherapy packed into one night"), which certainly includes issues of depression. I haven't read anything specificly about depression treatment however..but I think it is assumed to be a part of the larger topics that were adressed.
The hausca project - a study on ayahuasca in brazil from the early '90's - specificly mentions some related issue. I would recomend you check that out..I think you can find stuff about it on erowid. Terrance Mckenna was a part of that project, if you need another lead to track it down.
I would love to hear about any other international studies of psychedelics that anyone knows about.

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2434086 - 03/15/04 10:07 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

I too have noticed that particular side effect. Having a lifelong issue with depression, it was most noticeable that I was able to cope with many things in a calm fashion that before would have beat me down.
I have read some various articles on various healing properties of psilocybins. Here's a few links that may help you on your journey.

http://www.maps.org/

http://www.wildernessnazarene.com/karlart1.html
http://www.wildernessnazarene.com/karlart2.html

and of course, as was afore mentioned

http://www.erowid.org/

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

#2434307 - 03/15/04 11:41 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

hi,
from : http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_article3.shtml   
check it out.

..."The other benefit of the mushroom is that one is left with a sense of well being that remains with one over the course of the following weeks. I have even used subthreshold doses as a sleep inducing, dream enhancing agent, and general psychophysical tonic. Taking a small pinch of the mushroom before retiring has been noted by a number of my colleagues to provide an effective antidepressant effect. This is a topic that is wide open for research and suggests some SSRI activity on the part of psilocybin/psilocin."...

SSRI(s) are nasty... and i don't think psilocibyne is one, but rather a partial 5-HT agonist :smile:

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Studies of psilocybin/LSD in treating depression? [Re: Hermes_br]
    #2434330 - 03/15/04 11:50 AM (13 years, 12 days ago)

Definatley, psychedelics are amazing. They are alot more than just some chemicals that get you high, theuy allow you to fly through your mind and analyze yourself. My goal in life it to get psychedelics rescheduled so research can be done with them. Im gonna post a topic about how we could get them rescheduled.

OfflineBenFungTorez
Los Rancheros!

Loc: Way up there...
Re: Studies of psilocybin/LSD in treating depression? [Re: psikooz]
    #2434477 - 03/15/04 12:43 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

Does anybody know of any antioxidants present in our favorate little mushies?...or of any other health promoting compunds. Its just that most of the relevant articles/discusion focus on psilocybin. I'm sure there are other goodes in there. For instance...does the mush produce a natural antioxidant to slow the oxidation of psilocybin?
ahhh. If only i had an HPLC!

Offlinevade
veteran

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2436565 - 03/15/04 09:46 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

It would make sense, after LSD i felt great, made me think that it was a world for the taking.

--------------------
I've got this feeling that there's something that I missed...

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2436833 - 03/15/04 10:40 PM (13 years, 11 days ago)

after i did lsd i felt like there was actually a reason for me to enjoy life. Up untill then i thought that the more i knew the more unhappy i was. Lsd changed my whole perspective.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience