Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
guilt
    #2420341 - 03/11/04 06:23 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

If you feel guilty about something, does that necessarily mean that you were in the wrong? I used to really take an Ernest Hemingway quote to heart that said "So far, about morals, I know only that what is moral is what you feel good after and what is immoral is what you feel bad after." Lately, however, I've definitely reconsidered that. How can something be immoral if it is done unknowingly or accidentally? Obviously, someone can still feel bad about an action they've committed even if it wasn't on purpose. If one causes serious harm to others in an unintentional way, are they still at fault? Should they be punished? For those of you that are into karma, what are the reprocussions in that area for unintentionally harming others?

Thanks for the welcome back Fireworks. I'm glad to see you're still around these parts. Have you still been working on astral projection? I have been slacking spiritually as of late, but I can feel it coming back around again. Hopefully I can stay motivated for a while this time.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: guilt [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #2421084 - 03/11/04 09:50 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Ha!  I unintentionally offend people all the time!  I feel guilty all the time! 

But I am absolutely positive that the guilt is misplaced. 

This is something I struggle with constantly.  Rationally, I know that I didn't intend harm to anyone.  But when someone is offended by me, or hurt, I feel bad, even though I didn't intend the harm. 

You have to look into your heart, IMO. 

Man, this thread is so up my alley, so to speak.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2421360 - 03/11/04 10:45 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

We commit harmful actions unintentionally because we, as ordinary human beings, do not have the ability to consider the full scope of our actions. In this way, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

There is no necessity in experiencing feelings of guilt or shame upon discovering that something we have done, either intentionally unintentionally, has had harmful effects. If we entertain minds of guilt, we are associating our identity with the harmful action. We think "I should be better than this," or "I am less because I have committed this harmful action." In thinking this way, we ensure that we remain tangled in the problem, and quite liable to commit the harmful action a second time. If we commit the harmful action a second time, we will likely experience even greater guilt, and further entrench ourselves in destructive cycles which take their tole on our confidence and self-esteem. Without confidence and self-esteem, we are completely disadvantaged when considering a means to stop our harmful actions. In this way, guilt is a painful snare. It is like quicksand.

Unintentionally comitting a harmful action is similar to accidently swallowing poison. If we unintentionally swallowed poison, we would not stand in one spot and complain about our foolishness! If this was our course of action, we would gradually become ill and die. Each moment we spend feeling foolish is a moment we could have spent seeking the antidote. In the same way, each moment we spend feeling guilty about our negative actions is a moment we could have spent seeking the root of the negative action and destroying it.

If we wish to stop our harmful actions, we need to feel regret instead of guilt. Regret is a mind which understands the harmful effects of our actions, and desires not to endanger us by repeating such harmful actions. Regret is a mind which is not the mind that committed a harmful action. If we spend time with minds that are seperate from the harmful action, we are in a better place to observe the mechanics of the harmful action, and destroy it's root cause.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlineacidhead1279
Master Of AllThings Hip
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the other si...
Re: guilt [Re: Ped]
    #2421419 - 03/11/04 10:57 PM (20 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
We commit harmful actions unintentionally because we, as ordinary human beings, do not have the ability to consider the full scope of our actions.  In this way, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

There is no necessity in experiencing feelings of guilt or shame upon discovering that something we have done, either intentionally unintentionally, has had harmful effects.  If we entertain minds of guilt, we are associating our identity with the harmful action.  We think "I should be better than this," or "I am less because I have committed this harmful action."  In thinking this way, we ensure that we remain tangled in the problem, and quite liable to commit the harmful action a second time.  If we commit the harmful action a second time, we will likely experience even greater guilt, and further entrench ourselves in destructive cycles which take their tole on our confidence and self-esteem.  Without confidence and self-esteem, we are completely disadvantaged when considering a means to stop our harmful actions.  In this way, guilt is a painful snare.  It is like quicksand.

Unintentionally comitting a harmful action is similar to accidently swallowing poison.  If we unintentionally swallowed poison, we would not stand in one spot and complain about our foolishness!  If this was our course of action, we would gradually become ill and die.  Each moment we spend feeling foolish is a moment we could have spent seeking the antidote.  In the same way, each moment we spend feeling guilty about our negative actions is a moment we could have spent seeking the root of the negative action and destroying it.

If we wish to stop our harmful actions, we need to feel regret instead of guilt.  Regret is a mind which understands the harmful effects of our actions, and desires not to endanger us by repeating such harmful actions.  Regret is a mind which is not the mind that committed a harmful action.  If we spend time with minds that are seperate from the harmful action, we are in a better place to observe the mechanics of the harmful action, and destroy it's root cause.

well put :smile:

--------------------
Farewell FRSE!  We had such good times together.

Offlinepeleg
Gypsy
Loc: Christ Light
Re: guilt [Re: acidhead1279]
    #2422769 - 03/12/04 06:00 AM (20 years, 21 days ago)

man that sounds like the gosple to me, very well put...i find that if i just accept it rather than push it away im able to deal with it beeter and in an understanding way, also praying for the person or persons never hurts niether,if your into that

--------------------
"Well the first days are the hardest days." When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.....

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2426586 - 03/13/04 07:18 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

dawn of a new day said:
Thanks for the welcome back Fireworks.  I'm glad to see you're still around these parts. Have you still been working on astral projection? I have been slacking spiritually as of late, but I can feel it coming back around again. Hopefully I can stay motivated for a while this time.

Nah, not really... I've been working more with meditation and just living in the moment, enjoying whatever it is I've been doing.. I don't think I am ready for astral projection yet. :wink:

As for this topic, I'd have to pretty much agree with Ped. :laugh:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2426738 - 03/13/04 08:19 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

I'm off and on with lucid dreaming and Astral projection to, I always manage to quit right before I'm about to really accomplish it.

I agree with ped to. But I think guilt is our natural built in instince telling us what we have done is wrong. I dont think its an instinct connected with our physical bodies I think its conencted with our spirit, just knowing whats right and wrong is something you're born with. If there werent any laws telling us whats right and wrong I think we would harm eachother much less as people in general, because we would pay much more atention to our guilt feeling making it a stronger sensation. The only way to out of the feeling of guilt is regretting your "evil action" and making up for it, but it lies more in the WILL for making up for it than in the action of making up for it when it comes to Karma. I think guilt strikes when you use negative actions to get what you want or to do what you want. If you drop a gun that goes off and kills someone I dont think you will get bad karma, cause bad karma strikes when you INTEND to harm someone for your own good/satisfaction.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: guilt [Re: filthysock]
    #2427027 - 03/13/04 10:23 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Carelessness and laziness are mental actions in themselves, though, and have karmic repercussions on our mental continuum. If we have been so careless as to mishandle a loaded fire-arm, and that carelessness ends a human life, then that leaves a deep impression on our mental continuum. It is not the same, nor is it as severe as intentionally ending the life of another human being, but it does create the potentiality for such a drastic appearance to recur in the future.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: guilt [Re: Ped]
    #2427080 - 03/13/04 10:45 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

You're getting closer to your big 1000th post...

Whatcha gonna doo?

whatcha gonna dooo??

WHATCHA GONNA DOO??

I feel a celebration coming up...shall I order a barrel of beer and a stripper?

:wink:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: guilt [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2427188 - 03/13/04 11:21 AM (20 years, 20 days ago)

Hmmm... very interesting Skorpivo... hmmm... *scratches head*... kinda spiritual/philosophical... yes.  I think your arguement is the best, very good :thumbup:
:tongue:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #2431445 - 03/14/04 01:42 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

In my experience, I often feel guilty if there is something that still can be done about the situation, but I'm not doing it. For example, if I inadvertently hurt someone, it may still be possible to apologize, but I'm too scared to, so I feel guilty. Not for what I've done, but for what I'm refusing to do. If there is truly nothing I can do, I don't think I'd feel that guilt.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Anonymous

Re: guilt [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #2431502 - 03/14/04 01:57 PM (20 years, 19 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order