Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
Panic Attacks
    #2407320 - 03/08/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I don't really know where else to post this so....

OK, I'll try to make this as short as possible.
A week ago I tripped the hardest I have ever tripped on mushrooms. Everything was going great until I smoke 4 bowls with the people I was with. I usually don't smoke that much, but it just kind of happened. Anyway, I started to freak the fuck out. Not so much a bad trip, just extreme feelings of panic and discomfort. It was horrible. I've never felt so bad in my entire life.
Now, fast forward to two days ago. I smoked some weed and started to have the same feeling I had the week before. My heart was racing and I thought I was having a heart attack(even though I knew it was all in my head). I started having an anxiety attack for no reason whatsoever. I had smoked nearly ever day after the mushroom trip with no problems, except on the one mentioned above.

Is it possible that the trip from the week before has triggered something off in my brain and seriously fucked it up?

Luckily, I haven't experienced it sober, but I'm almost afraid to smoke again in fear of it happening again.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any help is appreciated

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Panic Attacks [Re: Harbinger]
    #2407656 - 03/08/04 05:17 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i think the chances of you fucking up your brain are pretty slim. you had a very intence trip, things should fall back to normal soon. every time i have trips like that it usually takes me a couple days to fully recover mentaly.

as for the pot thing, i dont really know. ive never experienced anything like that. but smoking pot while tripping can have some weird affects on your trip. i think it pretty much varies from person to person.....my only advice to ya would not to smoke during any more trips.

panic attacts can be some scary shit....im pretty lucky i never really had to deal with them first hand, but my bro gets them alot.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2408412 - 03/08/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not saying this will happen to you, but for me I had my first panic attack when I was stoned, even though I'd smoked weed for well over a year at least twice a week. It wasn't that bad though so I ignored it and somehow forgot about it for a while. Then the next weekend I went home after blazing that night and couldn't sleep, eventually having a terrible sober panic attack, except unlike you I didn't know what it was and actually thought I was ready to die. I went to the hospital, had shitloads of tests done, and then was told eventually from my doctor it was 'just' anxiety. Anyway since then I can no longer smoke weed without having some small degree of panic and sometimes full out panic attacks, even though I've had that tests done to proove I'm perfectly healthy. Its just always in the back of my mind for a second (I just think oh god don't have a panic attack) and then poof.

Recently (past 2 months) I've basically stopped smoking weed COMPLETELY except once (though only like 2 tokes) but now I get them all the time when I'm sober, in fucking class. It really slows down my education, because if I can't pay attention in class because I'm so focused on the beat of my heart or something stupid like that I can't learn and if I can't learn I can't do the work and as a result my grades will suffer.

I wish so badly I could stop these attacks, it really sucks. My advice for you is to learn from my experience, if you can, and just try not to think about it and it won't happen. If it gets too bad, stop smoking weed, maybe just for a little while, like I have, before you start getting them when you're sober.

OfflineHarbinger

Re: Panic Attacks [Re: jarby]
    #2409205 - 03/08/04 11:57 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

jarby said:
Its just always in the back of my mind for a second (I just think oh god don't have a panic attack) and then poof.

It's odd you said that because today I smoked some weed to see what happened and thats exactly what I was thinking....only I didn't have one. I guess I'm alright now, but I'm going to take it easy on everything right now just to be safe. I really don't want them to occur when I'm sober so....
thanks for the help

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2411310 - 03/09/04 03:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harbinger said:
Anyone had a similar experience?

Dude, I've had the EXACT same experience... :crazy:
It fucking sucks.  I had the exact same experience, I was tripping, smoked 2 gravity bongs after eachother (which I usually never do) and BOOM!  Really uncomfortable trip and everytime I smoke I get paranoia to the extremes... just read my other post in this forum "I cant get high anymore", the experience I had with mushrooms and weed is what kick started what I wrote about in the other thread in this forum.  I've been dealing with this for a year now... I just cant get high anymore :confused:

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2417346 - 03/11/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

This can happen to me before i smoke pot, even if i know it is coming. I start getting all panicky... and my heart will start racing before... And once i do smoke it just escalates. Sometimes i dont have a problem with it, its when i THINK about it, is when i start getting all paranoid. Maybe you became more aware cause of the shrooms, and now you realize how weird shit is, and your not used to it, so you get a panic attack.

--------------------
What?

Invisibleidiotek
    #2417450 - 03/11/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

that reminds me of something in my psychology class known as "counter conditioning".

it's sort of like when you drink too much whisky and have a really terrible night/hangover the next morning.. it's probably not going to be easy to make yourself drink more anytime soon.

but that may not be the case at all.. i wouldn't know.. just sounds like something from psych..

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#2426158 - 03/13/04 04:06 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Dude, you're fine! I went through the EXACT same thing, mushrooms then some weed. It's finnnnneeeee... Whats going in is when you get high you start to remember some of that panic/anxiety from the mushroom trip and you freak out, you try to fight the weed high because it reminds you of the freaky mushroom trip.

Just relax man. Next time it happens talk to your friends, take your mind off it, don't worry about it. It's no big deal. Just find a way to deal with your anxiety.

At any rate it's nothing at all, you'll be fine once you let it go.

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

InvisibleOri
intoxicated

#2432413 - 03/14/04 09:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

well.. i was planning on making a post about this soon.. i've heard of panic attacks.. but, i'm curious.. is it just something that happens physically for no reason, and you just start getting uncomfortable..

or is it something very.. very mental..
i've always been paranoid on weed and such..
and not until i took acid did this effect me.. i would smoke.. and took it a couple times.. and it was just a very acidy trip except with the typical pothead cloudy confusion

then i took acid.. it didn't do anything for several hours even though it effected my friend.. then i smoked later that night, and i went into this full blown delusional trip.. but it didn't worry me so much at the time.. i just went to bed

months later, i get some good mushrooms.. i take an 8th, and have an amazing trip by myself.. though it was a bit lonely
so then i take a half an 8th with a friend.. and all this bad shit happens.. i end up having to drive while tripping.. and the trip was going very wierd.. like i was realizing i shouldn't do drugs anymore.. and it was like the universe was playing this ironic joke on me.. but not so much in a bad way.. because i was learning and realizing stuff..
and then.. we smoked again.. and the same thing that happened on acid happened.. except this time it was a lot more delusional about my life.. and i worried i was either in hell.. or going to die that night..

while walking that same area and smoking one night.. it started again a bit..

then i took "acid" recently which turned out to be 5meoamt.. and it was pretty weak.. 3-4 hrs later we smoke.. the trip.. went into the worst, most severe panic attack ever.. we even drove to the hospital, but realized we couldnt go in.. my friend was also having this panic attack.. which worried me even more, because these attacks have always felt "connected" to everything around me.. and we couldnt goto the hospital because of his scars on his arm.. so in order to avoid him going to the psyche ward.. we wait out the trip..
it slowly dies down, and once we meet up with this cat that calls out to us on the street, the cat saves my paranoia and saves the night..

well.. the other night we were smoking.. and someone said something jokingly to fuck with me about my bad trips.. about "lets take mushrooms and walk around in a loop" .. all of a sudden.. my heart went insane.. and the attack started happening again... luckily though i managed to talk myself out of it

i want to really understand more about these bad trips, and they seem to mainly be connected with people smoking on them, my friend even told me it happens to him every time he smokes on his trips..
but its.. so.. delusional.. it's like this web of connectedness and everything is telling me this message in sequencial events.. i'm worried i'm going crazy.. or .. something else.. like i create this mindset and keep entering it.. i just suddenly "snap" into it.. it seems too mental to be a panic attack.. and everything in the physical world seems revolving around it.. like asif reality is some wierd loop of events--i need to talk to someone who's been experienced with this if anyone has..

i really need to stay away from psychedelics from a while.. and moreso weed than anything..

Edited by Ori (03/14/04 09:42 PM)

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2433715 - 03/15/04 04:04 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I summarised some info on how to deal with panic attacks some time ago. Seems to have helped some people. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
Re: Panic Attacks [Re: enotake2]
    #2433733 - 03/15/04 04:22 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

heh some people may not like this but I am pretty much convinced that panic attacks root from insecurity.
I have done some research..but I mainly think that because of my own experience.
when I was teenager although I was strong I was quite insecure..everyone is somewhat, anyway this can lead to different head fucks and such..and hallucinogens can definately intensefy um.
I am sure theres more to it..but one day after I just found myself..and have since been able feel comfortable in any situation.
So I guess I cured it by saying FUCK IT..im the coolest :nut:

everyone needs there own things that will lead to saying that, mine were long hours dealing with my mind and re-finding spirituality.

Invisibleacidcrys
intoxicating
 User Gallery

Loc: Home.
    #2434352 - 03/15/04 12:01 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with Shaggy. Ori told me about what was happening to him, and after saying that my opinion can't be completely valid since I've never experienced a drug induced bad trip (from what i can recall; when I took acid and other hard core drugs, i was pretty young) .. I said that in my opinion, I believe it is all in your head, its about mental strength and will.

The reason i said "drug induced" panic attack.. is because I've had very similar occurances related to bad events in my past. I believe this is what it is for you Harbinger, and Ori too. You had bad trips first right? The calming state that pot brings upon you probably allows yourself to be reintroduced to that area of your mind that remembers that bad trip.

When I OD'd on pills for suicidal purpose .. ever since that time.. whenever I take any medication.. it throws me back into that moment, I can taste the horrible combination of pills in my throat (even though in the present i'm only taking one aspirin or something), I feel suffocated, my stomach gets horrible upset.. and i feel like i'm dying all over again.

I've also realized that smoking pot makes my past history more vividly impacting in my mind, causing me to think about things i avoid everyday because of the pain factor.. and it always feels like I'm right there in the moment experiencing it.

But overall, I really do believe its about mental stability/strength.. obviously there are issues that need to be dealt with, and youre allowing the pot to induce mellow submissive behaviors of your mind, causing you to re-experience the bad event/trip. This happens even without drugs of course.. and maybe its different with drugs, but thats what I believe it is. You may need therapy, you may just need to logically face the thoughts/memories of the trip.. its hard to say.

Hope this is in someway helpful. I didnt read all the responses, so if its repetitive, i apologize - i'm at work ;x and gotta hurry before my boss sees i'm typing on a drug forum.

OfflineHarbinger

Re: Panic Attacks [Re: shaggy101]
    #2434506 - 03/15/04 12:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shaggy101 said:
heh some people may not like this but I am pretty much convinced that panic attacks root from insecurity.
I

To prove your point and to maybe help others, I admit I am very insecure. I have tried to fight this in many ways, but I just can't seem to kick it. Even though it could have something to do with insecurity, I've tripped many times before and have smoked a fair share of weed, so why didn't it happen before? I guess you really can't answer that, but it's just weird ya know?

--------------------

OfflineHarbinger

Re: Panic Attacks [Re: acidcrys]
    #2434535 - 03/15/04 12:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What you said about the feeling you get taking any kind of pills reminds you of your bad experience is exactly how it is for me. I got the exact same bad feelings when I smoked weed as I had on the bad shroom trip. It's really quite weird. I felt the whole thing mentally fucked me....all I know is I haven't smoked in a week and it might stay that way for a while.

--------------------

Invisibleacidcrys
intoxicating
 User Gallery

Loc: Home.
    #2434814 - 03/15/04 02:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

It might be for the best

good luck <3 if you need someone to talk to, give me a pm or whatever.. sometimes just talking to someone can help.

OfflineMorbidHamster
Total Head Fook
Loc: Un-United Kingdom
    #2446326 - 03/18/04 09:00 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I had this exact same thing, how did i cure it? Stopped toking. Thats my advice to you.

Anonymous #1

Re: Panic Attacks [Re: MorbidHamster]
    #2446639 - 03/18/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i had this same sort of thing, and it just went away. it took 6 months(during this time i smoked an average of once a week, far less than usual), but at the end when i started to get panicky and feeling bad i just focus on breathing for a few minutes instead of thinking and that sort of allows you to move on to a new/less negative train of thought. also excercising can really help you get out of negative thoughts.
i only had to really think about steering myself away from this sort of thing for a few times before i could just smoke and relax without trying again. it might not be this simple for everyone, but it did work with me at least. best of luck to all of you.

OfflineSalviaD
Rasta
Loc: Portsmouth, VA
    #2446696 - 03/18/04 12:19 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I used to have that happen to me pretty much everytime i smoked weed. I even pretty much quit for about a year, only periodically smoking once or twice then quiting again. It was allways the same, i would get SEVERELY parinoid, and sometimes think that like my lungs or heart were fucked up or something like that. I think me being on various medicines may have played a key role in this though. But now it pretty much never happens and if it does begin to happen i just kinda laugh about it and it ends up just going away. But i've never had a sober panic attack like that. If i did I bet it could be pretty scary because it would scare the shit out of me but i would know i was high and it was all in my head so i never really stressed about it too much. peace...

OfflineEMERLAD
Stranger
Re: Panic Attacks [Re: SalviaD]
    #2447932 - 03/18/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

To disprove your point I am very happy and very secure and don't do drugs anymore and i still get random panic attacks. Just recently I got such bad chest pains I thought i was having a heart attack, even though I am only 21. So I read up om it. It has helped me to know that the scary physical symptoms are caused by an adrenaline rush. This rushcauses that feeling of wanting to escape.Because in nature adrenaline=danger. Also the dizziness and stuff is caused by your breathing getting fucked up.
When I feel one coming on it helps me to remeber that and also take 3-4 breaths in and 7 out. Which will stop you hyperventialting. I also read that a high sugar diet (which mine is) causes adreanaline rushes whicc can cause attacks. Also drinking green tea can help. It has some calming chemical in it. Best thing is not to fight it, control your breathing and it will subside

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Panic Attacks [Re: EMERLAD]
    #2458603 - 03/21/04 10:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

how do you take 3-4 breaths in and 7 out

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being