Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline_Josh_
Stranger
Anxiety and Panic attacks
    #1432684 - 04/06/03 01:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I had my first panic attack on Monday. It was probably the most scary thing that has happened to me, even though I knew what it was I thought I was going insane. It was alot different then I thought it would be (I wasn't anticipating one, but I had read about them). The way my body felt was scary, but I knew it was normal. But I still felt terrified of nothing in particular. It started in the morning before school, I had taken a knife hit of some hash oil my friend had just made on the weekend. I hadn't smoked oil before and thought one hit wouldn't get me too high. I was kind of shaking while I was smoking it. My friend left and I went and to take a shower. In the shower I started getting worried about my heart, It was beating quite a bit faster than normal. Then I started getting afraid because I could hear my heart beating and it was getting louder and faster. By the time I thought to get out of the shower I wasn't only afraid because of my heart because I felt like I was going crazy.( the thing that made me think I was going crazy was I seemed to be afraid of my surroundings, and it felt very unreal). I also felt very clausterphobic in the shower, which is unusual for me.
As I was getting out of the shower I realized that I was having a panic attack. That calmed me down for a minute, but as I was getting dressed it started again. My heart didnt beat as hard this time. But I had a feeling like really needing to get out of a situation but not being able to. I felt like I wanted to scream. The whole day at school I felt very wierd it felt like I was very light, and I could not pay attention to anyone.
I have had two more since then (not high for these), these two where alot less intense, I think the weed made the first one alot scarier than it could have been. One was in bed at 2 am on thursday. It was only about a minute, (the first one was around 10-15 minutes), but I ended up waking up my mom and sitting with her for 2 hours before going back to bed because I was afraid to be alone(I thought it might start again). Then at school on Thursday I had a mild one, my heart beat very fast and I was shaking, but I managed to stop my self from panicking.
Anyway, since this has been happening I have been getting bad anxiety, the only people that I can be calm around are my mom and my friends and it gets worse when I'm alone. I worry about everything and I worry that I am going to have another attack. I had anxiety before, mostly social anxiety, but now it is less social anxiety and alot more general anxiety. I got 1mg ativan pills prescribed by my doctor (the ones that you dissolve under tounge). They help, but I only use them if I think I am going to have a panic attack (don't want to get addicted). My doctor refered me to some else, I assume some type of therapist. But I have to wait over a month because he is very busy.
I need some ways to relax myself, all this anxiety is getting me depressed, and I really need to stop having panic attacks, they really feel like I cant handle them.

What do you do/have done to stop anxiety and panic attacks, and stay more relaxed?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline_Josh_
Stranger
Re: Anxiety and Panic attacks [Re: _Josh_]
    #1432695 - 04/06/03 01:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

btw, I have quit smoking pot because of this, and I am not going to do any other drugs until this is all over.

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1433519 - 04/06/03 03:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Something very similar happened to me about mid march. I can't tell you how scared I was. The difference between our situations was that I didn't know what panic/anxiety attacks were, so I had no idea what was going and was thinking I was going to die. I was lying in my bed one night and just wasn't asleep by like 6 am for some reason. Then all of a sudden I became so aware of my heartbeat, breathing became very difficult, I felt slight tingling in my toes, and was shaking all over like mad. I woke up my mom, and like an idiot, confessed that I'd been smoking pot (I somehow thought it was related, and if you think you're dying, you don't give a fuck). We went to the hospital and as we arrived I somehow stopped, but stayed there for a while, and had a blood/urine test, then went home a couple hours later.

That evening I stupidly decided to see a movie with a friend (Dare Devil), and it was a Sunday, so my parents decided to go too (to a different movie, not the same one). About 3/4 through it, I had a huge panic attack, and was actually going COMPLETELY numb. I left the theatre to walk around and couldn't feel my legs or hands and a lot of other random body parts. I could hardly walk. Eventually the movie ended and we left, I didn't go the hospital.

Basically that whole week (off school for the most part), was a giant panic attack. I spent 2 nights walking around in circles around a coffee table while watching TV because for some reason excercise (ie walking around) stopped them to some extent. I also walked my dog very often, and vowed never to smoke pot again, because I was still under the impression that was what had caused it. During the week I wore a heart monitor, had an Xray of my lungs (I crazily thought I had lung cancer), ultrasound of my heard, more blood tests, and went in and out of the hospital. Finally the week ended, and on friday was told that I was having panic attacks.

Knowing this, I knew there was nothing actually wrong with me and that's helped so much. I haven't had an attack since, though I have felt them coming on, but just thought to myself, its just an attack, nothing is really wrong with me, it'll go away. And it did.

And yes I've started smoking pot again (not that I'm too proud of it, but I've cut down significantly to like once a week. Good luck man, keep us informed of how you're doing.

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
    #1435763 - 04/07/03 12:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey its okay, dont worry, i know that sounds impossible but hang in there. Just take things a day at a time. Go to this website:
www.anxieties.com
It has a bunch of shit on there about breathing techniques etc that helped me quite a bit in this situation. I had intense panic attacks daily for months, but since I saw a doc and therapist I havent had one since early 2001. The therapist must be really good if there is that long of a wait, so the therapist will help tremendously! Just hang in there and if you have any questions PM me anytime.

Offline_Josh_
Stranger
    #1437143 - 04/07/03 08:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I am starting to feel better, I haven't had anymore panic attacks and I am begining to stop worrying about having them. Thanks for your input.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being