Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: longshot]
    #1870110 - 09/01/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Social anxiety is based around brain association i.e You felt nervous standing in a shop, next time you stood in a shop you felt nervous agian (association) then you start worrying about the shop, then it happens in every shop. Understand?

The physical symptoms shaking, flushes etc will not go until you've conquered the mental side.

One must realise that everybody, weather confident or shy is constantly thinking about themselves. How do I appear? Am I behaving normally? What will be thought of ME? When you realise this there is no need to be anxious of if others seeing your physical symptoms because you know everyone is in their own thought tract.

I've been through it and am now very aware how my thought processes can result in physical association. Start studing other people carefully even super confident ones. Watch how many of them are actually hiding some underlying mental problem. You are a step ahead if you can admit that that you have a problem. It took me a couple of years to even execpt that I had anxiety because I belived it shouldn't exist because it didn't help me in any way.

If anyone's interested I can help you get over social anxiety.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineemanonx
a beautiful girlcan turn yourworld to dust
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: longshot]
    #1873899 - 09/02/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post Deleted @ User's Request

Anonymous #1

Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: Fungi_x] * 1
    #1879454 - 09/03/03 10:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

maybe if people started focusing more on trying to accept other people than on being accepted, this sort of thing would be less common.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: ]
    #1881013 - 09/04/03 11:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I hate seeing all this SAD stuff, it just reaffirms my belief that i should be medicated from *their* perspective.

Everytime a commercial come's on TV, "Do you feel awkward in public? Do you feel anxious? Do you sometimes avoid social situations even though you want to take part?", "yes" i say. "you apply for *insert medication here*".

Its just a constant nagging reminder, im a believer that through one's action's one can change one's own mindset. When medications arnt an option, doing it yourself is the only option, and with desperation come's motivation.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: PDU]
    #1971502 - 10/01/03 11:56 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i know this is an old thread but...

i've got that too, i've always been kind of a shy person that doesn't say too much (or know what to say) in a group. my parents used to call me anit-social (even though that is the wrong term) because when relatives and family friends came over for parties i stayed in my room. it used to be a lot worse when i was younger. i remember being scared to death of going into a fast food place by myself to order food.

i do feel like i am getting better though (never been on meds or had therapy or anything). i'm in college now and notice that i don't have as many friends as my roommate or everyone else i see around here...which sucks. it is just hard for me to make friends and even worse for me when i try to talk to girls. lots of it is frustrating but i remain hopeful that i will become more confident as time goes by and actually be able to have a relationship, or one night stands =).

there is nothing more that i want than being able to get close to a girl...oh i'm also REALLY bad at reading signals to see if they like me. i can never tell. so i'm rambling now...good night all!!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinejarby
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: MorbidHamster]
    #1985367 - 10/06/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MorbidHamster said:
Quote:

jarby said:
I have it. I'm also very paranoid about some stupid things, like the size of my small wrists :smile: 

Omg me to, if your being serious of course, im paranoid to fuck.  :crazy: I get uptight about most things, drives me mad at times  :smirk: 

seriously? that's so cool. its also a lot more that they're boney, like thers a big protruding bone at each side. also wearing watches looks silly. i need some kind of bracelet or long sleeved shirt always. otherewise i have to have my hands in my pockets or out of view. its really dumb when u think about it. i think i dont like the feeling someone can easily reach their fingers all the way around my wrist with space in between. 

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: jarby]
    #1985568 - 10/06/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

A lot of people have quirks about their hands and wrists. People bite their nails, wash their hands pick at their skin, and rub them. Of course, there are also cosmetic reasons to wish your wrists were hidden.

The weird person is the one who uses their hands normally.

Other than my own, I can't remember the last wrist I noticed. It isn't something people look at. Realy.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: Rose]
    #1988693 - 10/07/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

"Another person sits in front of the telephone and agonizes because she's afraid to pick up the receiver and make a call. She's even afraid to call an unknown person in a business office about the electric bill because she's afraid she'll be "putting someone out" and they will be upset with her. It's very hard for her to take rejection, even over the phone, even from someone she doesn't know. She's especially afraid to call people she does know because she feels that she'll be calling at the wrong time -- the other person will be busy -- and they won't want to talk with her. She feels rejected even before she makes the call. Once the call is made and over, she sits, analyzes, and ruminates about what was said, what tone it was said in, and how she was perceived by the other person....her anxiety and racing thoughts concerning the call prove to her that she "goofed" this conversation up, too, just like she always does. Sometimes she gets embarrassed just thinking about the call."

Me in a nutshell. Im a registered lurker for monthes on end on these forum boards because I begin typing, so slowly and drawn out, that I start doubting the relevance, humor, intelligence ect. of my posts that I erase the composition before I even post it! WTF... Im afraid of typed rejections from complete and absolute strangers. Ive known for a while I have a pretty heavy case of it SAD and it stems from personal childhood traumas and the general cruelty thing I read someone else mention in the thread. Terrible with family and relatives, terrible with women ( in college if I heard girls walking behind me and laughing I would actually assume they were ripping on me behind my back) Uhhgg

its not that bad (paranoia wise) anymore but I do have that INTENSE fear of authority figures in life and especially work. Have constantly been fired from several types of jobs since grad. from college because many coworkers find me strange or weird because I act strange and introverted because of this fear and anxeity of judgement. Its a vicious fuckin cycle aint it? However, I have replaced the paranioa with a 'fuck you' attitude that I dont think is fair at all to other people I meet. My fear causes me to react with an overly harsh judgemental- and superficial-  attitude toward those I just met cuz I feel they are doing the same to me, so now I appear very standoffish in these situations. This I wish I could stop, but havent been able to. Only thing that lubes my social gears is of course my good friend alcohol. It has become quite a crutch in my life. I never thought support groups would help- think about it, a group of socially anxious strangers actaully exposing their 'weakness' to eachother. It sounds crazy. I dont want drugs but now I may be willing to try some of this therapy.
Thanks for the excellent post. :grin:

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: MrBump]
    #1994465 - 10/09/03 05:41 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, thanks for digging this back up, I never got to read it the first time.

Just about everything said in this thread has happened to me multiple times in my life. Avoiding social situations due to fear of being judged, standing in line at a store and feeling as though everybody is judging me (I run out of the store when the transaction is complete and just breath a huge sigh of relief....sometimes I'll wait outside a store for people to leave, or just not even go in if there is a huge line). I often find it very difficult to swallow while im in public places, which sounds very odd I know, but I feel like my throat makes incredibly bizzare, loud sounds. I sweat uncontrollably when in situations that make me uncomfortable and I often will get the chills and start twitching nervously. When I'm in class and have to introduce myself, my voice is scared and distant and I rarely say what I want. I over analyze every fucking conversatation after it happens and I know I should have said things "better" and that I acted like an ass. When I hear people laughing behind me, I always assume that they're laughing at me. And I never call people because I always feel as though I'm bothering them or I'm unwanted.

This is probably why I don't have too many friends. After a few years at college, I have made one friend on my own and absolutely no girls at all. I have tried asking girls out and its worked a few times, but at lunch (with them) I'm never myself (see all the problems above). As a result, nothing ever happens after lunch and I never hear from/see the girl again. I feel like I never get a chance to be myself, and it's all I'm asking for.

I know people like me, I know I'm a good person that is fun to be around and I know I'm not monsterously ugly. But none of that matters when I get into these situations.

I have a problem.

I've suspected as much for many years now, and when I confront my parents with my unhappiness, they say they are willing to do anything to help, but that "it's something everybody has". It's as though it shouldn't be a big deal because I'm not alone.

But I am more alone than they realize.

I always feel like this is not my life. That a lot of things should be different about the path I'm traveling down and my inability to change them makes me feel so utterly hopeless. However, I believe that I should have the capacity to change these things on my own. If I create the external reality in my mind, then why can't I change how I interpret the information?

If you read any of that, thank you for taking the time. And thanks to fungi_x for posting this...perhaps I will seek therapy.

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: TheDude]
    #1999473 - 10/11/03 03:12 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I think I have a serious case of this too.  I used to be quite the social butterfly.  I had all the friends and charmed all the women on a daily basis.  Then my parents moved me to a new town and I never really connected with anyone.  Now that I think of it, I just wasn't very open to making new friends.  I have always been horrendously shy when meeting new people.  When I have the support of a best friend is when I am confident enough to charm people.  In this new town I never had that... so over the past 5 years I have become a recluse.  I have no friends... I've never had a serious relationship with a girl.  The only girl I am close to is Mary Jane and Ms. Psilocybin.

I erase my posts constantly, and have a hard time standing in lines[especially when I was buying Dex] :wink: . I'm very self conscious like when people laugh or make comments that I cannot hear I think that they are directed at me.  I am always thinking that I might be exuding a foul odor, or that there is something in my teeth, or if my noise itches I will think that I have snot hanging out.  I will then neurotically wipe at my nose or compulsively obsess about possible situations.

I have a hard time phoning people.  I try to go through with what I'm going to say, or how the conversation is going to go.  I always fuck it up too... always.  I have a hard time initiating the conversation... and I never know what too say. 

I have a hard time walking... I think everyone is looking and judging me.  I walk all hunched over because I am afraid of exerting myself.  The alpha-males all walk with good posture and chest out, but for some reason I can't bring myself to do it.  It's like I am scared of being noticed... I have a hard time with eye-contact too.

I'm far from ugly, several girls have notice me and even go to the point of asking me out.  I was never really interested in girls until now.  And when I did go out on dates they never went anywhere because I appeared neurotic [sweating palms etc] and uninterested.  I usually never phoned or ditched them to go smoke weed.  Whenever I am in proximity of women I get extremely anxious and usually act like a complete doofus.  My way of handling this is ignoring them... I mean I can't even look or say a word to them.  It's really fucking weird and makes everything uncomfortable.  I worked with a girl for like 6 months under these circumstances? she noticed my behavior too... They always do.

What is there to say to people anyways?  All comments are basically worthless.  How can I show a person who I am and have them enjoy being around me?  I have seen guys hit on girls and it is pathetic.  It almost always comes down to bragging or petty flirt talk.  Everything always seems to come down to bragging... bragging about how drunk you got, or how many drugs you did, or how many women you've slept with.  I'm not into relationships like that.  And this attitude just pushes me further into recluse... I secretly hate everyone around me; I secretly think I am better than everyone around me.  This way of thinking is counter-productive too though, because I never give anyone a chance.
It's not that I don't have any experiences to talk about; it just seems to me that no one wants to hear about them.  I am too scared of revealing myself so I come off as uninterested.  For this reason, everyone who has tried to come close to me leaves eventually. 
Over the past 5 years my main past-time was examining people.  I have concluded that most people are too much wannabe followers, dense, ignorant, to realize what I have about life.  Sure, there are good people out there but they are few and far between.  It?s hard to find them when your existence lies in a basement.  I?m tired being judged by dumb-fuck jocks riding in there rice-mobiles.  I?m tired of being evaluated by sluts wandering from guy to guy looking for a reason to exist.  Mostly I?m tired of being alone.  If I didn?t have music, drugs, and nature life wouldn?t be worth living.  Ignorance is Bliss and Life is a bitch.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world *DELETED* [Re: ShroomNewb]
    #2000215 - 10/11/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: poke smot!]
    #2000515 - 10/11/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i relate to WAY too many people in this thread. if you are too shy to go up and talk to a girl, hang out with a friend that is fairly sociable. usually it is easier to approach a couple of girls if you have a friend with you. i have just found this to work pretty well.

also, when you feel like you shouldn't say something to a girl at a party because you don't think she'll want to talk to you, just go up and do it. what i say to myself is "i'm gonna die one day so what the fuck in the world does it matter if this goes bad" usually after thinking about that it is fairly easy to go over and say hi. if it ends at that and she is dissinterested then...FUCK HER(figuratively, lol)...and make your way on with the night.

think...do you really care what people do around you? do you hold scorn or hate toward somebody you see making a dumbass out of themselves? i know i don't. i don't give a shit about the guy i see getting play from a fat or ugly chick...i really don't care! Now, if i think this way then other people must think so too. so why not do what you want to do because people aren't going to give a shit. PEOPLE DON"T CARE ABOUT THOSE LITTLE THINGS, it just doesn't matter...i swear this is true.

i know it is hard to motiviate yourself to extrovert yourself and i personally have to go through these mental scripts every time before i make a ballsy move but it does work. good luck and lets stay positive my friends.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinecheech101
most likely alittle hazy

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: TODAY]
    #2000976 - 10/11/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of you. Ive allways had the problem of meeting people. I cant remember the last time I could go up to someone I didnt know and start a converstion. Since I moved out of state for college, I dont like walking around or going places by myself. And when Im eating I allways glance around to see if anyones looking at me. I always feel like Im being judged except by people i am really close with. All my symptoms go away after a few drinks, that pretty much the only time that I feel comfortable enough with myself. Im wayyyyy to woried abiout what other poeple think of me.

--------------------
"Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: Fungi_x]
    #2702546 - 05/19/04 06:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

*bump*

Wow.  I did a search on 'stress relief' and hit this.

I never knew the 'exact' name of my disorder, but i guess this has to be it.
I'm pretty much like everyone here.  It's really gets to me sometimes.  Its the worst on the bus/subway sometimes.  I have to pretend to sleep half the time.

Over the years, ive learned to deal with it somewhat.  But just somewhat.
I feel the most comfortable doing things in public when my best friend is around.  He raises my confidence.  I -hate- eating alone in public. 
The real slap in the face, is that you realize how idiotic it is to be so paranoid, yet you cannot help it.

I had an ego loss trip about 2 years ago that helped me a lot with this problem (at the time) but the 'effect' is somewhat wearing off.  Edit: I also notice that a few drinks make the anxiety disappear.

This anxiety is not only mental, it can get really physical.  It's put me under so much stress that the tenseness of all these situations has caused me to develop Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 
Just today, i read an article, and realized that my allergies and my just-developing arthritis are all related to my IBS...which just leads back to stress, leading back to this. 
I now have the feeling that if i can get rid of this anxiety, my allergies, my ibs, and my social situation will improve 100%.

When I decide to go for help, i will know exactly where to head now,  and now i know that i can avoid misdiagnosis.

Thanks for the great read.

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Edited by RuNE (05/19/04 06:10 PM)

Anonymous #1

#2702919 - 05/19/04 08:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have SAD worse than anyone. In the last few years I have also developed schizo-affective disorder and when I'm around people the voices and thinking starts going a hundred miles an hour and I eventually space out and detach myself from what's happening around me. Reading all of the personal reports of SAD was like reading a biography of my life. I'm absolutely terrified of girls. If a girl looks in my direction I start to panic and feel enormous amounts of anxiety. I'm really shy and I've never had the balls to ask a girl out. In fact I can't even talk to girls at all. The only time I talk to people is when they ask me a question and I answer it in a few short words. I can't even look at people when they talk to me, not even in therapy. I've pretty much turned into a space case. I have a lot of brain damage too. I can't finish college because I get so much anxiety (and become psychotic) when I step into a classroom that I can't concentrate and an hour will fly by and I never learned a single thing.

InvisibleKthxBye
bandito furioso

Loc: bottom of the noob barrel
    #2703317 - 05/19/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I over analyze every fucking conversatation after it happens and I know I should have said things "better" and that I acted like an ass.

I have several levels of this:

0 hour - First there's what I actually say...or don't say.
Minus 3 minutes - I think of something slightly less awkward I could have said.
Minus 10 minutes - An insight actually useful to the subject at hand
Minus 30 minutes - A joke
Minus 1 hour - A better joke
Minus 2 hours - Exactlly what I should have said in the situation.
Minus 5 hours - What I should have said if I wanted to have sex the person I'm talking to.

I'm getting faster, but whether its two minutes or two hours most people don't have that kind of attention span.

My theory of conversation:
People you talk to take away two concepts from the the words of others: the peak, and the tone. A peak is something you say which in some way relates to them. A creative compliment on something they take pride in, a shared unusual view, an anecdote that reminds them of themselves or of a memory. Something that prompts a response, the most intense moment of your interaction.

The peak is what they'll remember about you. Everything else melts away into tone.

Tone is how you talk to each other, and therefore your relationship. Is it polite smalltalk, friendly joking, flirtation, brainstorming, intoxicated socializing, commercial exchange, intimate self-revelation, awkward miscommunication, or outright antagonism.

As the conversation progresses, the tone delves into one or more of these areas, reflecting how the participants view their relationship to one another.

The last word in a conversation either confirms the current tone, or resets it to the original. People will often wait for this confirmation, conciously or unconciously, before ending the conversation. If a conclusion of the expected tone doesn't arrive, the situation becomes drawn out and awkward until its either ended or the participants get back in sync.

The mutual goodbyes take the appropriate style, and indicate that both people are content with the tone.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: KthxBye]
    #2704478 - 05/20/04 02:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:frown:  as most of you have said, i have the same thing. 

i'm learning to overcome it by just as soon as i feel fear (When i look at a person) i do my best to react in some sort of positive manner, even if it leads to a pointless conversation which i then terminate.  i've never had trouble terminating conversations though, so thats kind of a point in my favor, any time i know i get stuck up i just exscuse myself.

also, i don't know how much you guys believe in this, but telepathic/empathic shielding may help some of you.
www.psipog.net for more details.

i have the same girl anxiety disorder.  instantly my mind goes to "i do not want to fuck her, but what if she thinks i do" then my body starts reacting without my permission leading to a spiral of attempt to control myself and remain as completely motionless and neutral as possible.    sometimes i try the opposite and be like "i do wish to fuck her, let every action and word be a reflection of that"  but this has also not worked for me, because hilariously enough my body and tone still react against my wishes.

dude, and being around poeple's girlfriends, my mind doesn't know how to handle that situation at all, other than it turns into "you will have no contact with said person, lest there is something wrongly mistaken (or not wrongly :smile: stupid subconscious) by anyone"

effed and elise if you're reading this, being around you elise was my freak brain's version of being in a feedback loop of anxiety and attempts at self control, its all good though.

i'm working on remebering to breathe and focusing on not reacting with my body to other poeple's prescence.

soon i will begin working on the utter humilation thing that was suggested in someone else's post.  that has to work good i'm guessing.

also one of my major coping behaviors is constantly looking around and touching things, pacing and peering at the floor and corners most interestedly.

hi is the best start to any sort of human interaction.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Edited by truekimbo2 (05/20/04 03:53 PM)

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: The third largest psychological problem in the world [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2704912 - 05/20/04 09:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I suffered from this fairly mildly for a couple of years, I wouldn't say I'm 100% better, but I'm sure I will be soon. I was never like this all the time, it seemed to depend loads on my mood. Some days I'd be the most entertaining person in the world, others I'd not say anything for far too long periods of time.

Smoking pot seemed to have wildly different effects on this. Sometimes it would make me ultra-paranoid, and other times it would loosen me up as well as a few drinks would. I think that's more to do with the crowd I'm with though.

Someone earlier mentioned humiliating themselves, this was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. Its far better to be seen as eccentric and quite funny than a paranoid loner, I figured. In periods of silence, I'd wink at someone maybe, or make up a funny story that didn't happen to me. That killed the anxiety to a great degree, and I've nearly weened myself off acting up because it's obviously not a long-term solution. Now I try to be interested in other people, ask them questions about their life, and they usually reciprocate, and it all works out good.

Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

#2706329 - 05/20/04 02:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have minor problems such as that. It's not as bad as the stories, but sometimes it does get bad. THe more the people the worse I'm off though.

Edited by 0xYg3n (05/20/04 02:49 PM)

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
    #2744438 - 05/29/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Huh, I've suspected I've suffered from this mildly for the better part of high school... and thinking back a good deal of my life. It's not debilitating, but I have trouble making new friends and getting close to girls. I'm soon to drop into college where I think I'll really be able to emerge as an outgoing personality, that is if current situations don't depress the best of me too much.

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom