Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard
    #2397809 - 03/03/04 09:57 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Yet another example of how the media is blind to racism when it is against white people. I seem to remember Trent Lott making a comment about Thurmond and how the people of America were better off with him in office, and the reaction level was such that you would think Lott was building concentration camps. Yet when a non-white person makes an overtly racist comment, gosh, CNN doesn't devote much time to it. What a big surprise.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,112651,00.html

Quote:

MIAMI ? House Rep. Henry Bonilla, a founding member of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (search), has taken back his demand that Rep. Corrine Brown (search) resign her seat in Congress for remarks she made accusing the Bush administration of racism in its Haiti policy.

But even after Bonilla accepted Brown's apology, he said the fact that her comments raised few hackles demonstrates a double standard among Democratic Party members.

"If a Republican had made such derogatory, insulting and discriminatory remarks there would be a firestorm of outrage. The current silence is deafening," Bonilla, R-Texas, said. "If we truly advocate zero tolerance for racism, then we must insist the statement be addressed."

Brown, D-Fla., issued an apology on Thursday for remarks she made a day earlier when she said Hispanics and whites "all look alike to me."

Brown made the statement during a Wednesday briefing on Haiti with Assistant Secretary of State Roger Noriega (search), a Mexican-American, and the Florida congressional delegation. During the meeting, attended by about 30 people, Brown sat across the table from Noriega and launched an attack on President Bush's policy on Haiti (search).

She said Republican leaders were "racist" in their policies toward the Caribbean nation, which is almost entirely black, and called the president's representatives "a bunch of white men." [TYOK Note: Is Condi Rice white, or a man? how about Colin Powell, I thought he was black]

"I sincerely did not mean to offend Secretary Noriega or anyone in the room. Rather, my comments, as they relate to 'white men,' were aimed at the policies of the Bush administration as they pertain to Haiti, which I do consider to be racist," Brown said in a statement on Thursday.

Brown added that she was offended that the meeting on the crisis in Haiti, led by administration officials, "turned into a diatribe rebuking the Haitian government and the Haitian people. I was personally insulted by the anti-Haiti sentiment brought to the table by the State Department and by Republican members of Congress in attendance," she said.

Brown also wrote a letter to Noriega, in which she apologized again "if what I said was construed as a personal affront."

"The State Department delegation that came to meet with us did not include any females or people of color. Given the racial makeup of the people of Haiti, who are 95 percent of African descent, I felt the delegation and the delegation's position were callous and out of touch with the needs (cultural and otherwise) of the Haitian people," she wrote.

After the dressing down, which sent a hush over the hour-long meeting, Noriega responded that he would relay her comments to Secretary of State Colin Powell (search) and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice (search), both high-level African-American members of the Bush administration. Rice is also female.

Participants in the meeting said Noriega later told Brown: "As a Mexican-American, I deeply resent being called a racist and branded a white man."

Noriega also pointed to Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (search), a Republican member of the delegation who was born in Cuba, and asked whether he appeared to be a white man. Diaz-Balart's brother, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (search), is also a congressional member from the state.

Brown's response, according to witnesses, was: "You all look alike to me."

Libbies- Any reply?

Sane people - How do you think that the libbies will make this appear to be a teensy little mistake, since it's a precious minority that made the comment against EvilWhiteMan, who we all know is the true source of evil on this planet?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: TheOneYouKnow]
    #2397825 - 03/03/04 10:02 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

What have the *nigras* done now?

Can't we just send them all back to where they came from?  :rolleyes:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #2397838 - 03/03/04 10:06 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

What a suprise, Fox News.
That's some wicked liberal leaning media.

PS: You're a racist.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2397866 - 03/03/04 10:15 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

How is the phrase "a bunch of white men" racist? It contains no slurs, and is mostly accurate. (Aside from Rice and Powell, the token black members)

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Xlea321]
    #2397870 - 03/03/04 10:16 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
What have the *nigras* done now?

Can't we just send them all back to where they came from?  :rolleyes:

Wow, without even reading the article, you've started to de-rail the thread! You shoudl meet Alex123,oh , hah, wait, thats who ya are.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Phluck]
    #2397871 - 03/03/04 10:17 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
How is the phrase "a bunch of white men" racist? It contains no slurs, and is mostly accurate. (Aside from Rice and Powell, the token black members)

So, if John Kerry were to say "Gosh, all negros look alike to me", you think that would be fine, right?

Or if Trent Lott were to congradulate a long-time elected representative, who happend to, in his past, be racist, you wouldn't think that was a problem right, since it wasn't overtly racist?

Methinks not :smile:

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Gijith]
    #2397880 - 03/03/04 10:20 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Why is he a racist?

TheOneYouKnow:

Quote:

Sane people - How do you think that the libbies will make this appear to be a teensy little mistake

I was going to say they will call you a racist but it looks like someone beat me to the punch.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2397888 - 03/03/04 10:21 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
What a suprise, Fox News.
That's some wicked liberal leaning media.

PS: You're a racist.

Gee, I'd use CNN's coverage of it, but

http://search.cnn.com/cnn/search?source=...y=Corrine+Brown

they don't seem to think it matters enough to do a story about it. Well, heck, if they don't do a story about a congress woman saying that all whites and mexicans look alike, and that condi rice and colin powell apparently dont' exist, I'm sure that they wouldnt' have much to say about Trent Lott saying that he supported an elected offical, right?

http://search.cnn.com/cnn/search?source=cnn&invocationType=search%2Ftop&sites=cnn&query=trent+lott

Huh! they DO have a lot of information about Lotts' comments. What a surprise! count me floored!

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2397899 - 03/03/04 10:24 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo said:
Why is he a racist?

Yeah, I kinda just threw that in there. Just a guess. Sorry if I'm wrong, TheOneYouKnow.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2397913 - 03/03/04 10:28 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

I don't care.
I'm not sure if I'm a "libby" (elisabeth? what does she have to do with politics?), but I am strongly opposed to the present administration and most of its policies.
I thought the Trent Lott thing was stupid, and I don't much care about this, either.
I aggree that people are more prone to attack the public expression white-on-black racism than black-on-white, just as "nigger" is a far worse word than "cracker". That doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of white racists, and plenty of black racists.

I don't think this is a question of media bias, but a question of what people want to hear. I really don't give a shit if some black woman is racist, but plenty of people cared about that Trent Lott shit. So, politicians took the oportunity to grandstand and the media played it up. There's no percentage in this, so it won't be played up.
Just the way it is.

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2397914 - 03/03/04 10:28 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Gijith said:
Quote:

Innvertigo said:
Why is he a racist?

Yeah, I kinda just threw that in there. Just a guess. Sorry if I'm wrong, TheOneYouKnow.

wrong or right, it certaintly is irrelavent. If you asked someone for directions, would they be questionable if you found out he was a "racist"? Address the issue that I brought up, or don't, but questioning my beliefs don't change the facts about what happened.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2397923 - 03/03/04 10:29 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Yeah, I kinda just threw that in there. Just a guess.

it seems that there are plenty of people that like to throw that in there in this forum.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineFloyd_
Stranger

#2397925 - 03/03/04 10:29 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

is anyone else concerned dumbass, nascar-race-watching, bars-and-stars forever, jesus freaks (seriously...less intelligent) people have a news station that caters to them?

i'm serious i turn on the t.v and i see 2 religous stations, a fox news, a few other news stations that are descent...and the rest of television is junk...what happpened to the science channels, they're all taken over by crap house decor shows...if we don't raise some intelligent people this world is going to go to shit

do you ever wonder why the majority of professors are democrats and the neo-conservies bash universities for being "liberal"?

if you have a good grasp on history, science, acedemics in general you can't help but be liberal.....if your a bible thumping, slack jawed white supremecist, your probably a neo-conservie

haha

--------------------
Dimensions

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Floyd_]
    #2397934 - 03/03/04 10:33 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Great post! Maybe next time instead of an off-topic rant filled with ad hom attacks, you could address the actual issue! Neat idea, huh?

--------------------
Opinions are like assholes; everyone needs one or else they'd explode

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#2397935 - 03/03/04 10:33 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Yeah she needs to be disciplined. If she's the head of any subcommitees or anything, she should be demoted. Simple.

Quote:

TheOneYouKnow said:
questioning my beliefs don't change the facts about what happened.

Merely questioning your delivery, as you question the media's.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: The Media's Liberal-Leaning Double Standard [Re: Floyd_]
    #2397939 - 03/03/04 10:35 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

^^^^^^^ if we don't raise some intelligent people this world is going to go to shit  :rolleyes:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2397940 - 03/03/04 10:35 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

"So, if John Kerry were to say "Gosh, all negros look alike to me", you think that would be fine, right?"

No, because that's a completely different statement, with entirely different implications.

The reason she called them "a bunch of white men" was to imply that they were out of touch with black people, and lacked the desire to help the black citizens of Haiti. Whether or not that's accurate is another issue, but what she was doing was implying that the homogenous nature of the republican party was indicative of racism. Not saying that "all crackas look alike". It's a simple matter of reading comprehension.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#2397949 - 03/03/04 10:38 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Okay, I apologize, I missed the part where she said that hispanics and whites looked alike. I think that's a pretty retarded thing to say. The part about the republican party being "a bunch of white men", is pretty accurate though.

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2397975 - 03/03/04 10:51 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Okay, I apologize, I missed the part where she said that hispanics and whites looked alike. I think that's a pretty retarded thing to say. The part about the republican party being "a bunch of white men", is pretty accurate though.

She said that the Administration was a bunch of white men, which it clearly is not.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#2397980 - 03/03/04 10:52 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Isn't the Bush administration the most diverse than any other admin?

Or am I mistaken?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder