Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Photographs
    #2364786 - 02/21/04 05:34 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Recently a family member was trying to videotape a special event. She wasn't very familiar with the interface of the camera, and she spent the entire event unsucessfully trying to get the camera to work.

This struck me as incredibly ironic. In her attempt to capture the moment, she ended up missing it. This got me thinking.

What's the deal with keepsakes? Why have a photo album? Why save every email you have ever recieved? Why buy souveneirs?

I understand the sentimental value of such things, but I view such behavior as a failure to accept that the past is gone. Life goes on, ya know?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Photographs [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2364803 - 02/21/04 05:37 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

It helps stimulate memories of good times with people you love.

--------------------
Light & Music

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Photographs [Re: DestruKtiKon]
    #2364838 - 02/21/04 05:45 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I get the sentimental part. What else?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2364864 - 02/21/04 05:49 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

They help you keep your memories in check, to verify the past is what you remember of it. Memories get distorted by the winds of time, leading you to think that your wife looked better than she ever has on your wedding, for example. Checking the photographs could prove/disprove this.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

#2364872 - 02/21/04 05:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Something else to do i guess. Basicly everthing we do in this lifetime is an activity to kill time, so some people like to collect photographs so they can sit down one boring afternoon with a friend/relative and remember past experiences together. Also you can learn from past memories to benefit your future life. There are also some people who have photos to show random people what they have done and who they've met in the past, this seems pointless to me. I don't like looking at photos of people I don't know.

--------------------
Light & Music

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2364885 - 02/21/04 05:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Every single thing we encounter, both abstract and concrete, is recorded into our brains. Essentially, Alan Stone has most of it down, but they are only elements in life.  Photographs are not the only thing that helps provide memory aide and long hours of thought and talk.

Look now, when you now see that camcorder elsewhere, or family member, won't the memory of her missing the entire event come to mind?

It's all crazy :syringe::beer:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Photographs [Re: DestruKtiKon]
    #2364894 - 02/21/04 05:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Something else to do i guess. Basicly everthing we do in this lifetime is an activity to kill time, so some people like to collect photographs so they can sit down one boring afternoon with a friend/relative and remember past experiences together

That's what I'm thinking. In that sense, they are harmful because they lead you farther away from what is really happening.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

#2364935 - 02/21/04 06:03 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

How? what is happening is you looking at photgraphs and reminiscing(sp?). What is 'really happening' anyway?

--------------------
Light & Music

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2365201 - 02/21/04 07:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I recently received a copy of a letter that I had sent to a girlfriend about 20 years ago. I had just started junior college, and was writing about how I was thinking "maybe" I would go to law school. I wrote about what my youngest kids were doing, who I was living with, things like that.

How crazy to read what I wrote back then. My head was in a totally different place, then. I could see vague outlines of my worries in my writing, an insecurity about my life and what I was doing. I wasn't sure I was going to be successful.

This letter brought back major memories for me of what I was going through at that time. I've saved letters that I wrote to a boyfriend I had when I was in my late 20's and he was in the marines. Some day, I'm going to read those again, and see where my head was at, and how much I've changed.

I've saved pictures from the time I was 18. I have boxes of pictures. I don't mind time passing, and thank God it does, or I would be bored to death. But I appreciate the pictures because I have a terrible memory. I don't remember my kids being little. I don't remember birthday parties. I don't remember my own childhood very much.

But when I see a picture, whatever event was occuring at the time the picture was taken comes back to me, and it's nice to have memories. I hate when I can't remember anything because it makes me feel like I have no past.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: Photographs [Re: Frog]
    #2365244 - 02/21/04 07:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah, plus there just cool to look at. its just another way to pass the time, and to remember certain events in your life. pictures are like little windows into the past (if there is such a thing), and with a video camera sometimes you can be surprised at what is going on or what was going on, little subleties that you may have missed. also, the asthetic value, the art and beauty of it. yeah, pictures are neat

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2365292 - 02/21/04 07:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpecialEd said:
Yeah, I get the sentimental part. What else?

cause that's the only part of it all that matters.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineSquatting_Otter
Freedom Code

Loc: point no point
    #2365344 - 02/21/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Taking photographs are about making art. Pretty simple. A photographer with any talent at all takes photographs that are fun to look at, it's not about reminiscing on your grad in this case.

What's happened to photography is that in an effort to sell cameras and film to the laypeople camera companies have created shitty point and shoot cameras with zooms and no versatility whatsoever. They pretend that cameras with manual controls are too difficult to use, so people go out and buy point and shooters which take only one kind of boring photograph.

Photography is an art form, but people are silly and they feel too scared to really experiment and express themselves with their cameras and on top of that the camera companies limit people's expression by selling cameras to them that can't keep up with a creative mind. It's sad.

There are lots of photos out there that lack any artistic merrit. These are usually found in family albums. But the medium of photography is not to blame. Imagine if everybody who took photos painted. With all the shitty paintings everywhere you'd wonder why painting existed at all.

One time when I was in Guatemala there was an old native woman sitting with her eyes closed sleeping/meditating wrapped in a worn but colourful blanket. A wealthy guatemalan walked up to her and while she had her eyes closed tried to get a photo of her. He was standing there fiddling with his expensive camera when the woman's granddaughter (I guessed) whispered into her ear. As soon as this happened and the old woman stirred the guy slinked away without saying anything. It was pretty pathetic. The guy was going for the classic national geographic portrait of a wrinkly-faced old peasant. Not too original and the way he went about taking the picture was pretty lame. I was more offended than the woman and her family, though.

Offlinebuhkahh
Found

Loc: Ohio
    #2365702 - 02/21/04 09:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I always think that no matter how hard we try, we cannot perceive life to the fullest while we are living it, which in some ways makes us inexorably ignorant. Photographs give us another point of view of that time other than our own, which furthers our perception of that particular moment in time, allowing us to take in life just a little bit more. With life being such a precious gift, that is what everyone should strive for for as many moments as we can.

--------------------
Stop thinking, and end your problems.
-Lao Tzu

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Photographs [Re: Squatting_Otter]
    #2367087 - 02/22/04 06:14 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Not everyone really cares about every little nuance of taking a picture, they just want a damned picture. If I use a shitty digital camera to take pictures of things I want to take pictures of, it isn't because I am too afraid to experiment and express myself. I just want a fucking picture of what I want to take a picture of. The picture in my signature fits my purpose, I am sort of intrigued at having a more stunning picture of the same scene, actually, but I have not the time or the resources or that deep of an interest to pursue such.. photography isn't MY artform, music is. hehe

Its like the difference between people who buy clothing because it is the ultimate expression of their fashion sense and etc. artform blah blah blah and other people who just want to have some thread on them to keep warm. I don't feel offended when other people don't play bass. :grin:

Anyways, isn't photography like the worst thing for spirituality? No sense having a sense of spirituality if there are all these cameras around to steal your soul and trap it forever... :lol:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2367547 - 02/22/04 11:24 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

>> It helps stimulate memories of good times

This is precisely the problem. When our memories begin to fade, or when enjoyable moments begin to feel distant, we develop an uncomfortable feeling of loss. This feeling comes as a result of our attachment to enjoyable moments. As human beings, we desire uninterrupted happiness. We wish to experience only happiness, and not to experience suffering and problems. Because we view happiness and suffering as completely external factors, we are continously emphasizing the happiness of the past, and are working tirelessly to arrange delightful circumstances in the future. We are mistaken in these habits. It's these two habits which perpetuate the frustration of our desires not being met, and actually create the causes for suffering and problems.

The extent to which we are always grasping at past happy moments is directly proportionate to our inability to take delight in the happiness of the present. If this is our habit, we shall always be attempting to prevent a happy moment from escaping, believing that we are able to seize a delightful moment and rely upon it as a source of continual happiness. The extent to which we are always working to properly arrange satisfying future circumstances is directly proportionate to our perpetual dissatisfaction with the present moment. If this is our habit, we shall always be investigating the present moment for elements of suffering which need to be expunged, and completely overlook all happiness as it appears. The consequence of these two habits is suffering. We develop a view which informs us that the present moment, and life in general, remains an ongoing disappointment.

We behave this way because we believe happiness and suffering come from external sources. If this is our view, we quickly develop attachment, the grasping at happiness in outer circumstances. In the same way, this view causes us to develop aversion, the resistence to the sufferings of outer circumstances. At present, every aspect of our experience, even the most subtle, is pervaded by these two mental factors, attachment and aversion. Attachment and aversion bring us no happiness, and are like weeds which choke the happiness from the garden of our experience.

We are able to perpetuate our attachment and aversion because we are continuously grasping at the view of ourselves as discretely existing islands of conciousness completely independent of other objects. If we ourselves are an isolated and completely independent phenomena, then the phenomenon of happiness and suffering must originate independently of ourselves. This is called self-grasping, and it is the root of all suffering. It is only by eliminating self-grasping ignorance that we can discover happiness and escape suffering and problems. So long as we continue to grasp at our sense of independent self, we will continue to grasp at the happiness of the past, and remain and worrysome of the future. Our experience will be forever dialated. We shall remain distant from the present moment, the only place we can discover lasting happiness and joy.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Photographs [Re: Ped]
    #2367978 - 02/22/04 01:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, just not as well.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlineblackroselove
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Loc: WYO Flag
    #2374301 - 02/24/04 12:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What I always wanted to know is, why do people keep pictures of bad things that happen.A few examples are,,, say a marriage that went bad. They have a few pictures of their wedding day.Maybe even the shoes or something they wore on that day. Maybe other pictures of things that happend, a birthday, another sparce or random day. A birth a a child that has every one in it, so on and so on. But they are no longer married to that person. And that one they were married too is long gone. Or the love they had when they were married to them is no longer. Things have happend to earse it.In fact, they are in love with some one else. Some one who is more true to their hart and soul  then that old flame they loved at one time and married. But yet they don't have the hart to throw this one picture away. Why is that? This person is not learning anything from it. They have learnd already what went wrong. Why it ended. Be it wasn't right, too soon. Some one fell out of love with the other or they both did.Why does some one still keep that. And another question is, how do you explaine to that new love the reason why you still have these pictures.You know that has to make them wondereven though it has only been them that could show them true beauty and made you feel like you have more worth.But there really is no reason.That is what I want to know.Thanks.

Sorry about the spelling
BRL :eyemouth:

--------------------
BlackieRL:flaming:
BRL:flaming:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Photographs [Re: blackroselove]
    #2374320 - 02/24/04 12:53 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I like seeing the events of my life, even if they made me feel bad. It's what was real, then. Hopefully, I learned whatever lesson I was supposed to learn.

I think about the hurt. If I haven't learned, the hurt is not understandable, and probably hurts worse. But if I have an understanding and learned from what I went through, seeing the picture may bring back negative memories, but the memories also carry with them the lessons learned.

Sort of a yin and yang thing. Good and bad. Agony and ecstacy. *slaps self* Sorry, that was on the "love" thread.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlineblackroselove
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Loc: WYO Flag
Re: Photographs [Re: Frog]
    #2374351 - 02/24/04 01:04 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
I like seeing the events of my life, even if they made me feel bad. It's what was real, then. Hopefully, I learned whatever lesson I was supposed to learn.

I think about the hurt. If I haven't learned, the hurt is not understandable, and probably hurts worse. But if I have an understanding and learned from what I went through, seeing the picture may bring back negative memories, but the memories also carry with them the lessons learned.

Sort of a yin and yang thing. Good and bad. Agony and ecstacy. *slaps self* Sorry, that was on the "love" thread.

It's two in the morning.If you start slapping your self then I will be forced to ,too. J/K.

But what if they have learned(sp?). What not to do, what they should have done, so on and so on. And it doesn't bring any more pain. I mean sure in the past they may miss this person and wished for all the good moments. Or to take bad the wrong turns that were made. But that was in the past. There is no pain. But yet, this picture sits in an old show box ready to be shreded.When will this person let go.Or have the true feeling that they have let go. I am not sure how to word what I mean. Sorry.

Sorry for the spelling
BRL

--------------------
BlackieRL:flaming:
BRL:flaming:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Photographs [Re: blackroselove]
    #2374404 - 02/24/04 01:16 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think we have to let go of the past. We just need to reconcile it. If we reconcile the past, we won't feel the need to shred an old picture. We dominate the picture, rather than letting the picture dominate us.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures