Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Keys to Happiness
    #2356971 - 02/19/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

from a recent edition of New Scientist

I don't have the article in front of me, but here is a synopsis from a long study:

The largest factor of your happiness, by a whopping 50% of the HQ (Happiness Quotient) is your genetics. Yup, you are born either with a strong predetermined tendency towards being happy or grumpy.

Next is material wealth. Appears that money does indeed buy happiness, though the correlation is not linear; i.e., the richest are not the happiest, but the upper -middle class is much happier than the lower-middle class.

Physical beauty is another contributing factor. Perhaps life is easier or one has greater self-esteem...

Marriage is a slight plus as is age. Older married people are somewhat more satisfied with life than young single people.

Religious beliefs makes people a little happier. The idea of an after-life and a fair, loving universe provides comfort.

DREAM BIG! Well that is a recipe for non-happiness. Those whose desires were farthest from their current reality were the most unhappy.

Friends and social activities are a not surprising part of the happiness recipe.

Intelligence has no noticable effect.

Charity, not as a single act, but as a lifestyle adds in another small piece.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: Swami]
    #2357184 - 02/20/04 01:17 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with you 100% Swami, karma does indeed carry over from one lifetime to the next.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2357458 - 02/20/04 02:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What... nothing on "entheogen use" or "unboring sex" or "incidence of abduction by aliens"?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: Sclorch]
    #2357492 - 02/20/04 02:39 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm, I don't think "players", drug addicts and abductees are necessarily happier, but then what the helldoino?

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #2357507 - 02/20/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You fugger... hehe

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2358131 - 02/20/04 07:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

***Happiness Is A Choice***

While extreme circumstances can overwhelm and (temporarily) remove the opportunity to choose happiness, on the whole we choose our own state of mind.

Overt misery has its own rewards (we all know a few 'martyrs') and anger and hatred can be very satisfying to nurture and cultivate.
Sometimes it's just the 'principle of the thing' ("Dammit!! Look at all this shit in my life. Whaddya mean I should choose Happiness!!! Why, ANYONE would be miserable with all this shit!).

Most of us have been programmed (programmed ourselves??) to respond a certain way to certain situations. The possibility that we may have a choice simply never occurs to us.

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: sakura]
    #2359207 - 02/20/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

***Happiness Is A Choice***

I agree.
Happiness isn't about moments (that's joy), it's experienced over time. So, since we all feel pain and pleasure at different moments throughout our lives... your level of happiness boils down to one thing: choice. One either chooses to take things in stride or the choose to let the misery of the world envelop and choke them.

But that's just me...

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2359296 - 02/20/04 02:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

Who was that article supposed to pacify?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2359328 - 02/20/04 02:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

?

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2359660 - 02/20/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First a word about correlative and descriptive research consisting of surveys and questionaires.  They are highly questionable.  How do i know?  I've participated in dozens of these studies.  And I can tell you the data that they got from me was BS.  Not that I was trying to sabatoge the shit or anything mind you, its just that those things are so long and unneccesarily repetitive.  I try to consider everything but end up giving barely a half seconds worth of thought to every question.  And I'm always the last in the group to finish.  I'm pretty sure everyone else just bubbles random shit after the first couple pages or so.  I have talked to many of these people and they have confirmed to me that this iswhat they do.  They just want to get out of there. 

Quote:

The largest factor of your happiness, by a whopping 50% of the HQ (Happiness Quotient) is your genetics. Yup, you are born either with a strong predetermined tendency towards being happy or grumpy.

I think it is a correlative probability factor, but not a determinant. 

I have depression and anxiety on both sides of my family, but if you compared me to my folks (as many family therapists have) I think you would find that I have played those cards a little better than they did.  Of course, I smoke pot and live like a freaky beatnik and they dont... :smile:

Quote:

Next is material wealth. Appears that money does indeed buy happiness, though the correlation is not linear; i.e., the richest are not the happiest, but the upper -middle class is much happier than the lower-middle class.

Oooh, I really got to disagree with that.  Perhaps the upper-middle class is more likely to self-report hapiness than the lower-middle class? 

I know a lot of lower mids that are happy as clams and a LOT of upper mids that are all kindsa fucked up in the head.  I think the upper-middle class culture is just generally more unhealthy than the lower-call culture.  Of course thats just my opinion. 

Quote:

DREAM BIG! Well that is a recipe for non-happiness. Those whose desires were farthest from their current reality were the most unhappy.

that sounds like total propaganda.  I'm a big dreamer myself although I'm still learning to control my expectations.  But hey, man, just about every comfort we have is the result of life not being good enough for somebody. 

Quote:

Intelligence has no noticable effect.

Thats surprising, but I guess the Stephen Hawkings and the Paranoid Androids cancel eachother out statistically.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2359670 - 02/20/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

or masterbation...

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: barfightlard]
    #2360207 - 02/20/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"DREAM BIG! Well that is a recipe for non-happiness. Those whose desires were farthest from their current reality were the most unhappy"

partly true i guess, but i think the key to happiness is making the connection between dreaming bid and doing big. If you dont dream big you wont accomplish anything great, and the scope of your potential happiness and self realization is severly limited.

For example, if i sat around all day on the couch dreaming about being as ripped as the guys in mens health magazines, than i would be all the more unhappy for comparing myself to unnaturaly muscular people, but on the other hand if i never dreamed of being ripped than i would never go to the gym or work out and thus be much less happy.

Dreaming big and self satisfaction/personal happiness go hand in hand

and in fact id say dreaming big and then working towards your dreams is the first of 3 factors that lead to a happy life, regardless of genetics or circumstance

the second is satisfaction or coming to terms with those things that we have no control over, anmd being able to focus on the positive rather than the negative. In any given situation there is enough wonderfull stuff to keep you happy, its just a matter of what you choose to focus on.

the third is wisdom, which you can only get through experience, although maybe some of it is innate. You have to dream big, but have the wisdom to have the right dreams, ya know?

so yeah, have big dreams, work hard at them, change what you can change to suit your desires and accept that which you can change, and be wise and thoughtfull

then youll be happy
unless you have bad genetics or are fat

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2360241 - 02/20/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The study was not talking about setting goals and taking steps to achieve them, but was more about being unsatisfied with your current conditions.

"If only I drove a Ferrari instead of a Toyota then I would be happy."

"If only my woman was as hot as Elizabeth Hurley then I would be happy."

Thre greater the differential between your current state and your dream state, the greater the unhappiness.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2360255 - 02/20/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oooh, I really got to disagree with that. Perhaps the upper-middle class is more likely to self-report hapiness than the lower-middle class?

I think you are missing the point. Not having to worry about basic needs and bills is a huge weight off of anyone's back. Financial security = happiness to some extent.

Excess wealth does not = extra happiness though. There is a certain comfort level above which there is little mood benefit.

Your comparing of people that you know from different social stratum says little as your sample size is small and does not factor in the other nine variables.

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2360438 - 02/20/04 07:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

A happiness quotient?! You mean it is not as simple as making a decision?

Security does not equal happiness to any extent. It is a fallback plan when happiness cannot be achieved; a fake duplication of it is thus create.

Being happy is as simple as smiling and feeling contentment within the Universe. Similiar to playing a game and knowing after you die you learned your mistakes and you are ready to move on to the next level after you complete the ending of that one.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineBLuEFroG
Friend of Many

Loc: Eastern Coast
    #2360528 - 02/20/04 07:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Well yeah, through failure you gain success, and if your not bummed out when you fail you can never win, because you wont have the drive to succeed
:beer:  <--- Helps with happiness!

--------------------

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #2360614 - 02/20/04 08:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
I think you are missing the point. Not having to worry about basic needs and bills is a huge weight off of anyone's back. Financial security = happiness to some extent.

I'll have to respectfully disagree here. I don't think a lot of third world denizens are less happy than we as Westerners are - despite the fact that they'd probably be okay with having better financial options.

The personal goals derived from social programming - and their realisation - have a bigger influence on happiness, I would think. So if you live in the third world, a lot of people you see won't be any better off than you are, making you more content because you're at least average in the financial department.

Moreover, luxury doesn't take away problems, it replaces them with other problems. Your average laborer who can pay his bills and his children's could have financial problems, whereas a celebrity with more cash to spend than he or she could use, will have problems such as boredom, stalking, and a lot more.
What I'm trying to say is, as others on this thread have said, human suffering is inherent to humans, not social class, and can be vanquished by the right state of mind: a lot of issues you think you have waste away into the great void with a change of perspective.

On a side note: does the article mention the kind of questions that were asked? In my personal experience, a lot of psych tests have questions to which the purpose are easily categorised, leading to the possibility of cheating and/or influencing the outcome. What measures were taken to ensure the honesty of participants?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2361507 - 02/21/04 12:19 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
from a recent edition of New Scientist

I had a counselor once who said that most people's problems can be solved by having more money. I repeated this to my guru once, and he laughed and said that people should learn to be happy, regardless of their financial status.

I agree that more money can solve a lot of problems people may face, but I agree with my guru, that we should learn to be happy with what we've got.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Keys to Happiness [Re: Frog]
    #2361539 - 02/21/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

not to Frog

All here are giving opinions which is fine, but this study is based on many people rating themselves over time and has nothing to do with me or my thoughts.

I guess we should just toss this stuff out instead of trying to learn from it.  :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2361557 - 02/21/04 12:28 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well, why didn't you tell us what the responses were that we were expected to give!

I gave canned response #5 because I didn't realize you were looking for canned response #11.  Please be more specific next time.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology