Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
A theory about the universe.
    #2353470 - 02/19/04 02:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I can't agree with the idea that the universe started with a big bang. Like what the hell, there is absolutley nothing, no life, no existance, no nothin!!! Then, BANG! the universe is born. How can it just start?

Now ask yourself, can the universe end? I sure as hell don't believe so. So if the universe can't end, then it could never have even began. I know it sounds messed, but I believe that in order for everything to work properly, there must be balance. Love, Hate. Up, Down. Water, fire. etc.

Now the idea of the universe never starting is impossible for us, humans, to believe because we can't accept that concept. Everything has to start and end somewhere. Now just believe for a second, that in another dimension or whatever, the concept or starting and stopping doesn't exist. Everything just constantly exists. It never started anywhere, it never ended anywhere, it has always just been there. Continuous! Endless! Life!

Now, back to the balance theory and death. There must be an opposite to EVERYTHING in this universe, for it to work properly. Now, say we die. If we die, it is impossible for us not to exist. In order for there to be death, there must be life. Balance people balance! When we die, we don't exist here, but we exist somewhere else.

If we didn't exist, then thats like a loophole or something. There has to be an opposite to everything. Opposite of not existing is existing.

Im rambling. Sleep for me!

Think about it..... I'm hurting my brain about the universe starting. Its that damn concept of starting and stopping. We're programmed with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: adamj]
    #2353509 - 02/19/04 02:31 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Now the idea of the universe never starting is impossible for us, humans, to believe because we can't accept that concept.

I believe it! :sun:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2353513 - 02/19/04 02:32 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

You mean the Yin and Yang? I like to think of it as the tao.

Quote:

I can't agree with the idea that the universe started with a big bang

Neither can I. I think its been happening forever, or something like it. Something else might have died, and this was born. And it continues down every path forever. Into each new successive tranformation of the universe.

I dont remember before i was born, and i wont know anything about after my death. So this moment is forever, i will never know when it ended, cause i will be dead. But I might see parts of me change, as some parts of my own self livee and die, just like everything else.

-----
If I did know if I was deceased, how would i be dead ?

--------------------
What?

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: pattern]
    #2353533 - 02/19/04 02:43 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it's easy to believe. But to fully grasp and accept the concept that the universe has always been here. Argh, words can't explain what Im trying to get across. Like, how can it just have always been here? It had to have started somewhere, but then again it can't, cause if it did then that means it'll end. Life, existance, the dog next door, everything, fucking gone. Its too fucked for me.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2353556 - 02/19/04 02:57 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sure, our human lives and the Earth started somewhere.  I'm not suggesting that we've been here forever.  I'm just saying that before us, there was something, and before that, there was something, and so on.  I don't believe that there was ever only nothing or that there ever will be.  I could be wrong, but does it really matter? :rasta:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2353558 - 02/19/04 02:59 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I believe the universe expands and contracts...and that the universe has always existed in these two states.

Right now the universe is expanding and there would have had to of been a great force to make this happen. This force, I believe, was a great implosion of some kind caused by the gravity of all the matter in the universe being connected at the end of the 'contraction phase'.

I do not believe that galaxies are just wandering aimlessly in space..I think there is VERY powerful gravitational forces being produced by much much larger galaxies or another phenomenon. These 'larger galaxies' are also being pulled slowly closer to eachother. Once all the galaxies are connected and over the span of trillions and trillions of years, all the matter begins to form one giant mass and next comes the big bang..

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: ]
    #2353693 - 02/19/04 05:17 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The big bang theory by itself makes sense, but how did all these random bits of matter come together to form organisms and ecosystems to support these life forms. It just seems strange to me, then again I don't understand why god would want the universe to be expanding either.

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: ]
    #2353733 - 02/19/04 05:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

it expands and contracts, like breathing in and out...breath tyes us to life. everything is swinging. what if there is another universe, the other side of the coin, so to speak.

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Offlinemilly
fee's girlfriend

Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: Atomisk]
    #2353745 - 02/19/04 06:09 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I had a long argument over the big bang theory with my chem teacher in high school....finally we came to the comparison that it was that it was like a match thats slowly burning out, so under that theory all the lights are eventually going to go out...I'm not sure i buy into that.

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: milly]
    #2353753 - 02/19/04 06:19 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

i believe that theory's called the 'big chill'

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2353823 - 02/19/04 07:05 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Expansion is occuring in the Universe. It's an easy thing to see...just look at any distant object (galaxy) in the universe and notice how each and every one is flying away from our own galaxy.

If the universe is expanding...what happens if we roll back the clock? Well it contracts, eventually down to a point (singularity). This is where the Big Bang theory came from...and the theory is quite sound.

What science doesn't answer, and it really hasn't tried to yet, is what existed "before" the Big Bang. We can roll the clock back to about 10^-43 seconds after the big bang and the physics up to that point are quite well understood. Beyond that timeframe the normal physics of our universe break down and we are unable to describe what existed. Remember at this point (10^-43 seconds) the universe was about the size of a softball.

The thing I think a lot of people have trouble with is thinking that the Big Bang was the "creation" of the Universe. It was not...only a change which caused our present universe to form. There was something "before" the Big Bang (though it is quite pointless to speak of "before" as the temporal dimension did not "exist" yet) but it was not "our" universe - it was most likely something quite different.

As to the inflation-contraction-inflation theories...they are quite possibly true and would perfectly explain what was "before" the big bang. I think recent studies have shown, however, that the expansion is accelerating at this point instead of deccelerating - which points to the "big chill" theory being the most likely.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: trendal]
    #2354581 - 02/19/04 11:56 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have a question, probably more for you, Trendal, because you seem to have a firm understanding in science, which I do not... :grin:

On the atomic, or subatomic level, whatever.. is there anything that would resemble the Big Bang? Like an electron exploding or something? :lol:

I sure HOPE there is... it would allow me to push on a little theory with a little bit of evidence supporting it.... :wink:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2354630 - 02/19/04 12:10 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

they're currently not sure if the expansion is just going to keep going or if its going to reverse and start sucking back in.

I wonder if it would be possible for it to simply stabilize, not suck back in, but basically just expand slower and slower until it stop and hangs there at one general size..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #2354637 - 02/19/04 12:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I read this Hawking book The Universe in a Nutshell, and near the end he's talking about a couple theories of how the universe started and where universes come from..

he used the analogy of a bubble of air arrising from boiling water.... Where at first in the water there's just water (space?) and suddenly a bubble forms that wasn't there before (BANG!), it forms from the properties that surrounded it arranging themselves in a different way, and suddenly BLOOP there's a bubble there.. some of them crush back in and never even make it to the surface, some of them go to the surface and explode, some of them go to the surface and hang out up there for a while before exploding, but the ones that make it to the surface release steam out into the air, which metaphorically speaking would be an entirely different type of existence

So they claim there could be tons of universes right around ours, all similar but none identical (i'll be damned!), and that universes could simply be tiny bubbles boiling out of the stuff that is already there before them..

watch out for other bubbles, guys because that could really fuck us up :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (02/19/04 12:16 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2354647 - 02/19/04 12:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

of course one could take this further though and say "ok well if universes are just tiny bubbles and there are billions of them just like galaxies in our universe, then shouldn't there have been some sort of "something" that happened to make the stuff that universes sprout out of? some sort of larger, 'master' big-bang?

i have no fucking clue, but it sure is neat to think about :wink:

--------------------

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #2354661 - 02/19/04 12:23 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The universe in its infancy was too hot to support planets. We are now in a cooling process. It's like we live in a spark. But fire doesent burn forever. The univberse will continue cooling until no suns exist and it's all frozen rock flying everywhere. It's a pessamistic theory but so is everything else after birth.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: Spokesman]
    #2354681 - 02/19/04 12:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

right: as soon as a universe is born, it is dying, just like me

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2355029 - 02/19/04 02:06 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

maybe the big bang is what heats things up...

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: A theory about the universe. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2355161 - 02/19/04 02:32 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry fireworks_god, there are no sub-atomic processes that I know of which could simulate a big-bang type event :smirk:

The reason being that sub-atomic processes still exist within our 4-D universe...while the Big Bang was our 4-D universe going through an expansion.

As a side note:
String theory talks a lot about curled-up dimensions and gives the idea that the Big Bang may have been a process of symmetry breaking where a larger 10 (or 11) dimensional universe "split" into a universe of 4 extended dimensions and 6 tightly-curled dimensions (with diameters smaller than the Planck Length).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2355234 - 02/19/04 02:43 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No exploding electrons? :frown:

I'll have to think harder.... hehe
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order