Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Slovenia
strange behaviour of my oyster
    #2314256 - 02/08/04 11:59 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I cloned a nice big specimen of king oyster (Pleurotus eryngii) that i've got from market place downtown.
But it behaves weird. First the tissue became nicely fluffy but the mycellium refused to step down on agar surface. I waited patiently and slowly it seems that it finaly decided to like my PDYA. However, in the mean time, a small particle that i accidentaly droped at the edge of petri sprouted to life and now it seems far ahead of main bodytissue in the center.
Look:

Did i use too much tissue in the center perhaps?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: Quincunx]
    #2314315 - 02/08/04 12:20 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

For me it looks ok ...

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: ragadinks]
    #2314466 - 02/08/04 01:07 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah. It also looks ok to me too. I never doubted that. But why there's no such vigorous growth from the original piece in the center? Did i use too much tissue there?

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2314762 - 02/08/04 02:41 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I do not think you used too much tissue. But I really do not know what the reason for this could be. Maybe your scalpel/innoculation loop was too hot when transferring the bigger piece ? Just a guess ...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2314772 - 02/08/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Not unusual. I had a dish like that once.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2314994 - 02/08/04 04:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think it's a big problem, as long as you're absolutely sure that peripheral growth is from some inoculum that you dropped there, and isn't contamination.

You'll recall that mycelium is polymorphic, in that it can be linear, rhizomorphic, cottony, cottony/aerial, etc. A pure plate culture of one form sometimes sectors into areas of a different type of growth.

It looks like that the peripheral piece on your plate is cottony/aerial, and is growing faster than the center incolulate, which appears slightly cottony but a bit linear. This isn't a big problem, except that aerial/cottony type mycelium typically isn't the best candidate for vigorous fruitbody production. According to Stamets, ropey, rhozomorphic or linear mycelium produces the best flushes.

Best of luck!

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2315035 - 02/08/04 04:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

This was cloned from a specimen, so there shouldn't be any difference. All the tissues should be the same.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2315058 - 02/08/04 04:57 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
This was cloned from a specimen, so there shouldn't be any difference. All the tissues should be the same.

Mycelium, even if it is of a monoclonal origin (from a single cell!), sometimes differentiates into different forms (sectors) as it is growing on an agar plate. So, a culture started from a single mushroom most certainly can be polymorphic as it grows.

But as far as his plate is concerned this is an academic argument, as he really doesn't have any major problems on his hands.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#2316699 - 02/09/04 02:23 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think that the mycellium on the edge is a contaminant. Transfer the piece on center to a new petri as soon as possible and then wait to see what happens on the original one. I bet that the right one will start to change its color and reveal its true nature.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: zeronio]
    #2316744 - 02/09/04 02:55 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I bet that the right one will start to change its color and reveal its true nature.

woow, that's going to be exciting. Really curious if zeronio is going to be right.

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: ragadinks]
    #2317089 - 02/09/04 08:26 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Really curious if zeronio is going to be right.

Yeah. Master Zeronio is right. He did warn me about marketplace mushrooms so i expected some contamination but nothing happend for a long time and i became too confident. Well, i guess this is it - time to start the evacuation plan for my oyster. I don't wanna loose it now. Urgh. An experience more.

I will leave the "visitor" in petri and post what happens.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2317273 - 02/09/04 09:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Make sure to do the transfer in a still air environment, not in front of a flowhood.

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

Re: strange behaviour of my oyster [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2317656 - 02/09/04 11:56 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Thanx. Will do so. I think it will go smoothly since it is still early and the foreign fungus is not yet producing it's coloured conidiums, so air transfer possibility is, i guess, at minimum. It's still crystal white. I was expecting bacterial contam not mould.
(I also burned myself today for the first time with hot agar. Interesting experience in extreme pain. :biggrin:)

OfflineQuincunx
whisper
Male User Gallery

#2371694 - 02/23/04 11:41 AM (20 years, 29 days ago)

Well. Time for update (as promised)...

Those are the rescued cloned oyster cultures from the original petri dish plate. Nice. Like Master Zeronio said to me: "separate them asap and they will grow like weed." As you can see, Master Zeronio was right. I never doubted.

And here is another pic this time from my lab with the light from below:

This is the present day picture of the original petri plate:

I would guess the right side (white) is a sporeless mycellium contaminant that was present from the begining. For unknown reason it's sterile - never developed spores and thus never coloured itself. The left side is (again, i guess) probably a Fusarium contaminant, that came in later when i separated the petri and left it in the most unsterile environment on purpose.

It was an extremly nice experience to isolate my own oyster culture. Thanx for Your help Zeronio! Now it is time to transfer my oyster agar cultures to spawn.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags