Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
Some photos from the forest. (WA State) (NEED ID)
    #2312173 - 02/07/04 03:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Things are fruiting like crazy in the mountains surrounding Seattle thanks to a VERY wet January and early February. I took a little walk today and saw about 15 different species. Here are some photos...

On the last two photos, I would really like an ID...

A. Habitat : Found in Washington State, temp in the mid 40's, on the side of a older looking tree with lots of vegitation growing on the side.

B: Gills: Light goldish tan color. They look like a Chantrelle.

C: Measurements: Cap: 1 to 4 inches depending on the shroom. Stems: 1/2 to 2 inches depending on the shroom.

D: Stem: lightly tanned...solid

E: Cap: Purplesh brown before picking. Then turned just plain brown about 1 hour after harvest. The brown color slowly gets lighter close to the stem.

F: Spore print: not available yet.

G: Bruising: No bruising

H: Smell: No smell

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Some photos from the forest. (WA State) (NEED ID) [Re: Stymee]
    #2312195 - 02/07/04 04:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

well i cant help ya with the IDs, but those are some cool pics! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2312297 - 02/07/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Cool pictures!

I think the first is definetly some sort of Marasmius...

But the second one... What kind of tree are they growing off of? Secondly, It looks like it has a brownish sporeprint, just judging from the deposits on the top of the caps... but, a sporeprint would help for me to ID just because I am not completly familiar with this mushroom!

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Re: Some photos from the forest. (WA State) (NEED ID) [Re: angryshroom]
    #2312349 - 02/07/04 04:55 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

angryshroom said:

But the second one... What kind of tree are they growing off of? Secondly, It looks like it has a brownish sporeprint, just judging from the deposits on the top of the caps... but, a sporeprint would help for me to ID just because I am not completly familiar with this mushroom!

Unfortunately, I know very little about tree types. This one was about 1 foot in diameter and had peeling bark. The bark appeared to be thin and the tree was not very tall. I would guess alder, but that's wild guess at best. When I picked the mushrooms, I noticed they were rooted in a dark brown powdery like substance, it looked like wood rot/termites. There were many others trees like it in the area. But this is the only one that had mushrooms on it.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #2312395 - 02/07/04 05:17 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

hrmm, they look a lot like old (past edible stage) oyster mushrooms to me, never seen them with that purplish color, but the ones I've found look and grow just like that. Should have a whitish print if so... nice pics

DH

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2312422 - 02/07/04 05:29 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The little ones look like Omphalina or one of the closely related genera.

The big ones look like Pleutrotus. If so, a spore print on white paper should show a pale lilac color. I suspect that the dark gill color indicates that they are a bit old and probably past their prime for eating.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2313161 - 02/07/04 10:44 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The second and third pictures could also be Panellus seritonus. The caps are ussually a mix of green and yellow and the color of yours with yellowish gills a distinct stem the gills come to an abrupt end. I can't see the where the gills end. I think the spore print is yellowish for P. seritonus, don't remember and I've had real trouble getting them to print. They are edible sometimes good sometimes bitter.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Re: Some photos from the forest. (WA State) (NEED ID) [Re: falcon]
    #2313335 - 02/07/04 11:59 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

falcon said:
The second and third pictures could also be Panellus seritonus. The caps are ussually a mix of green and yellow and the color of yours with yellowish gills a distinct stem the gills come to an abrupt end. I can't see the where the gills end. I think the spore print is yellowish for P. seritonus, don't remember and I've had real trouble getting them to print. They are edible sometimes good sometimes bitter.

Hey Falcon, I think you may be correct. I did a search of the web can found these photos and am almost certain you got it right(although your spelling was wrong).

Here are Panellus serotinus...

See the tree in the background of this photo, that looks exactly like the tree I found these on.

I found a German webpage that has many great photos of this species. I can't read a word of it, but judging from the photos, your ID is correct....

http://www.natur-lexikon.com/Texte/FM/00...elseitling.html

It's been many hours now and I just checked for a spore print. Nothing to report here. I have them laid out on white paper and can't see anything.

I also came across these images that look to be close to my photos...

Sarcomyxa serotina...

Thanks Falcon, ALL.

When I compare my photos to the above photos, mine look old and possibly past eating stage so I won't eat them.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2320018 - 02/09/04 11:15 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Heres one i found this fall, they are mostly this green when I find them here in PA.
This batch was bitter.

The eighth picture in your last post is Pluerotus probably ostreatus it really shows the difference in the shapes of the gills when you compare it to the preceding pictures of the late fall oyster.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2320056 - 02/09/04 11:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome Photos!~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures