Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinekloK
ShRoOmEr!ShRoOmIn

Loc: La La Land
Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS**
    #808466 - 08/10/02 08:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

ok i found this in a forest by the creek it was orange and it dosent have gills but sponge i was wondering if thise is poisonous or not
as soon as i touched it it brusied blue btw i live in canada ontario near toronto

Cap has my finger dent in it

orange sponge

stem close up

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS** [Re: kloK]
    #808478 - 08/10/02 08:53 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hard to narow it down from those webcam pics, but it is a red pored bolete...almost certainly poisonous.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

#808485 - 08/10/02 09:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If it doesnt have gills its probably not active.. And likely poisonous.. Or so I have been reading..

InvisibleLeaveMeAlone
Stranger

#808572 - 08/10/02 10:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Looks like a bolet..... i have run into alot of the blueing kind around here. No, their not active , but there's this post somewhere on the net about some american eating them somewhere in Asia...supposedly he tripped..... but it's complete bullshit - they are definately not active.

--------------------
Love.

Anonymous

#808777 - 08/10/02 12:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS** [Re: ]
    #809194 - 08/10/02 04:39 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not 100% certain it's Boletus satanas, but it's certainly not worth fooling with. Whether it is or not, it definitely won't get you high, unless you consider vomiting and diarrhea being high. In general, boletes with red or orange pores which bruise blue (especially instantly as you described) are poisonous.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS** [Re: ToxicMan]
    #809202 - 08/10/02 04:44 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS** [Re: ]
    #809661 - 08/10/02 08:31 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The idea of a "dangerous lookalike" to a poisonous mushroom is amusing. Something I'd never considered before. The only reason I don't feel 100% is because the stem doesn't look nearly as bulbous as the stems in every photo I've seen of Boletus satanas. For example, this one at mykoweb. Boletus erythropus sometimes has a fairly pale cap, red pores, bruises blue very quickly, and doesn't have an incredibly bulbous base. David Arora lists several similar species under B. erythropus. Also, I'm not entirely certain about the exact colors in some of the photos, especially the first few, so I try to not rely on them too much. I also can't verify that the stem is reticulate in the photos, and that is an important character for B. satanas.

I hunted this morning for about 4 hours and could only come up with about 20 species. A couple places I visited which are exceptionally wet and I hoped for mushrooms at were unproductive.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours assisting Dr. States in identifying specimens this afternoon. We had 28 when we quit for the evening, but we have at least 2 or 3 times that many yet to go through. Tomorrow Vera Evenson will be helping (along with a few others) and I expect we will get 100 - 125 species total. Fortunately, a guy who works for the Forest Service at a research station above Boulder showed up with an impressive haul. He's the only person this year who's found Russulas or more than 1 or 2 Cortinarius. I haven't seen a bolete (including Suillus) or an Amanita this year - and they are normally major groups among what is found.

I'll post a thread with some photos after it's over - but probably not tomorrow. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow, and my wife has promised we'd do some astronomy (Perseid meteors!) tomorrow night. I'll try to get some stuff up Monday.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Blue bruseing pls ID **PICS** [Re: ToxicMan]
    #818415 - 08/15/02 05:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i eat bay bolettesoften, they dont accumulate maggotts too badly.
they bruise very blue, dry well, make good soup.
they are considered choice edible. the ones you have however are a different species i would not trust

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification