Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. ID?
    #848776 - 08/28/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hello, many of you remember my last excursion to find some holy mushrooms. i found something nobody could id, and started a big fight over wether i was lyeing or not. plus, i proved my stupidity by eating it. after that, i vowed to go find the same mushroom next time it rained, and id the little bugger that stained red, and made me trip ten hour later, yet looked like a cube. yesterday it rained. today i was out in the same field...better equipped with gear and knowledge.
to my dismay, i found no red/cube ladies that looked like the last one. they must be out of season. but i did find four other kinds of shrooms and i would like a help with id please. i have not consumed them this time...see? even idiots learn !
now, for starters, my location is in the dallas tx area...actually 45 minutes directly east of dallas. i was in a cow field. it rained for the first half of yesterday, then remained cloudy for the latter half. all four species of mushrooms were growing out of cow dung. one peice of cow dung had three of the four species growing out of it simultaniously. only one species stains blue, (but that's not always a requirement for it to be phsyco-active) it is the first one i will describe. and it only stains blue on the cap. and it also manages to stain your hands and your clothes and anything else it touches when wet. my shirt has blue ink spots on it . but it wears off, i think it just has a plethora of spores to share with...everything it touches! i love it when my ladies are eager to share.

Species 1:
Cap: 1/4 to 1 1/2 wide. bell shaped when young then flat then convex. very thin. blueish grey...but more grey until bruised. then more inky blue.
Gills: closely spaced. inky blue
Stalk: hollow, white, fuzz (that brushes right off) thin, 2-6 in. tall, depending on age.
Veil: none.
Sporeprint: inky blue.

Species 2:
Cap: 1 1/8 inch to almost 2 inches wide. light cinnamon color with darker spot in the middle. otherwise pretty much the same shape as species 1. it should be noted that the two species (1 and 2) resemble each other very very closely in everything except color and the way they stain.
Gills: Spaced medium. same color as cap.
Stalk: 4 inches to 5 1/2 inches high. pinkish in color.
Sporeprint: light cinnamon brown.

Species 3:
Cap: rounded, white, smooth, thick (for it's size) and sturdy.
1/8 inch to 1 inch across (although it's hard to tell because, like i said, it's round, and it can't be flattened out.)
Gills: grey to black with maybe a little purple tint. but no purple tint at all once they begin to dry. medium spacing.
Stalk: 1 to 4 inches high, depending on age. 1/16 inches to really really thin. whitish yellowish.
Spores: inky blue/black...hard to tell.

Species 4: (now i'm pretty darn sure these are regular ol' cubes. but i want you all's opinion.)
Cap: 2 inches wide. dirty yellow off white. with darker nipple in center.
Gills: not closely spaced... but not far apart...just a tad bit farther apart than what would be considered medium. dark cinnamon brown.
Stalk: 4 - 5 inches tall...curved at the bottom because it was the only one of the shrooms that grew out of the side of Grandmother cow-patty. and it was curved up towards the light. hollow. thin. whiteish yellow.
Sporeprint: light choloate brown...more light coco powder than chocolate, if you know the color of that. or more like peanut butter chocolate than hershey.

i would give you pics, but alas, i am not made of money, and i can't afford a digital cam. or a scanner. so please forgive that of me.
so what do i have? from mushroom john's website, i have figured out that none of them are poisonous (the sporeprints say that). but i looked at all his pics, and most of the ones on the shroomery...and i can't id these shrooms myself. especially number one and two. and for three and four...there are just so MANY possiblities and matches, that i don't know which is which.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. ID? [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #848813 - 08/28/02 08:38 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #848923 - 08/28/02 09:29 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Mr. Mushroom's guesses are as good as mine, they sound right on the money.

I just wanted to comment on your great descriptions. I wish every one would describe mushrooms as thoroughly as you did. Good job!

As far as getting a camera or scanner, check out Ebay, you can get brand new stuff, dirt cheap. I got my whole car sound system on ebay for about half of what you'd pay in stores. Ebay= teh pwnz.

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. ID? [Re: ]
    #848950 - 08/28/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

so uh, i just searched the whole shroomery website for desrciptions of these shrooms you just named, and the only one that came up with an answer was Panaeolus sphinctrinus.
where can i find a site with desriptions of these other two shrooms you named?
and does anbody know where i can find more pics? these mushrooms are quite unique (at least the red and blue ones are) so once i see them i can identify them instantly.
what are some good pics sites?

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #848965 - 08/28/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.in2.dk/fungi/imageframe1.htm

That website has thousands of pictures(not all of them work though =\ )

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#848993 - 08/28/02 10:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

if it's a coprinus of some kind, where can i read up on those? are they poisonous? and mushroom john says that coprinus sporeprints are jet black, but these are not jet black, they are deep ink blue. true navy blue (true navy blue looks almost black, but not quite...my best friend proved this to me...he's in the navy.).
i forgot (sorry!) to mention that both species 1 and 2 have little lines running from the center outwards on the caps....basically, they aren't translucent, but you can see where the gills run along the underside.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #849015 - 08/28/02 10:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

As others have said, pretty good descriptions. Keep in mind that identification of mushrooms you can't see is difficult. Hell, it can be pretty hard even when you can see the mushroom.

My guesses are (only to genus):

#1 Coprinus
#2 Conocybe
#3 Panaeolus
#4 Agaricus

And obviously they are pretty tentative. Of those, we probably would need a microscope to get an accurate ID of #2 or #4.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#849024 - 08/28/02 10:25 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#849045 - 08/28/02 10:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

did any of these Coprinus melt into the color? Dissolve in any way?

yes and no...they didn't really melt as much as just fall apart because the caps were so friggin' flimsy. but i've seen shrooms melt before and turn into a nasty smelly mess, these didn't really do that. like i said, they just fell apart.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#849080 - 08/28/02 10:54 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

mushroom 3 is Anellaria sepulchralis
mushroom 4 is Copelandia cyanescens (originally i put something else, then i saw THESE pics, these are them)
over two i'm not sure of yet...so uh....anellaria they aren't active are they? and are they poisonous?
1 is probably what you say it is. which sucks. and mushroom 2 is yet to be identified.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Edited by whiterastahippie (08/28/02 11:04 AM)

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#849117 - 08/28/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i'm pretty sure that shroom two is Panaeolus sphinctrinus
i found a site with all the dung loving species listed...almost all my shroom are on there. except #1

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#849188 - 08/28/02 11:51 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

so here's my final question. are any of the species we talked about poisonous? i don't care if they are active or not anymore. i'll eat them on my salad...i like mushrooms...i just don't want to get poisoned. what poisonous mushrooms grow on dung? if one could tell me this, i could look just those up, and then i would know that i am in the clear as far as sickness and death go. and that's all i really care about. does anybody know?
peace.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #849257 - 08/28/02 12:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

None of those species is normally considered to be edible. In fact, if you're hunting edibles I wouldn't spend much time hunting around dung. BTW, Copelandia cyanescens is active.

As far as identifying through photographs, it can be a way to start the ID, but it shouldn't stop there. Find a detailed description of the mushroom you think you have and compare your specimen to the description. If they don't match then it's the wrong species. Many of the better guides will also list mushrooms which are similar and often confused with each species. Try looking through those. See if one of those descriptions matches your specimens better. And don't get discouraged if you can't figure out what species you have.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#849264 - 08/28/02 12:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #849266 - 08/28/02 12:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

so where could i find a guide like that?

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#849544 - 08/28/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

you?ll be happy to know (or you won?t give a damn...either way it?s all good.) that these pictures are the only two out of about 2000 i?ve looked at that match species number 3. so it?s either just edible. or it?s hallucenogenic. the others were a waste of my time. i?m not sure i?ll go hunting around here again. until i find somebody who can show me a good place. so i need to get growing!
peace!

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #849720 - 08/28/02 04:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

If I were to recommend only one book for somebody who wants to identify mushrooms, it would be Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora. It's a good enough book that most of the PhD professional mycologists I know use it as their first book to look up things. While he doesn't list lookalike species everywhere, he does it often enough to be useful. There are excellent keys and photos, and enough species that you won't be finding a lot of stuff that isn't in there, unless you're going to get into Inocybes or Entolomas or Psathyrellas.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#849734 - 08/28/02 05:08 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. [Re: ]
    #850469 - 08/29/02 04:43 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

oh of course, you are completely right plato, i would never grow them in the US, but i'm leaving the country soon.
so it will be pretty cool once i do. seeing as how the US is no longer the land of the free...there is no point in living here. you get prosecuted for the littlest thing. no, i was talk about once i leave the country and denounce it ...THEN i will get growing. i don't care how bad the rest of the world is, i really don't think most places are as bad as the US. sure we have economy...but we don't have freedom. not anymore. like supposed "freedom of religion", yeah, that exempts people like rasta's and natives who use "drugs" in their religious practices.
and about that book. hmmm, i'm going to the book store right now to look for some books on tao, maybe i'll check that one up too. thanks!

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #850554 - 08/29/02 05:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hey did anyone ever ID that weird red-staining mushroom you ate? I had forgotten about it but it is pretty interesting.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: 4 Finds in 4 Hours in the same 400 sq. yards. ID? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #850605 - 08/29/02 06:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

no, two days ago was the first time it rained since that happened, and i went out there...and there were none. i've looked up quite i few mushrooms since then, and to my knowledge, it looked and resembled in every way...a cube, but it stained red. scarlet, should i say. (shrug) strange. but mycology is a young sience. i won't be around next year to find more of them. but i'm sure somebody will someday. i think mushrooms are evolving faster than anything else on the planet. ever hear of the mushrooms that grow on bugs and then takes control of their brains when they are ready to spore, making the insect climb up a plant then die? that indicates some intelligence right there, to take control of a brain. i think fungus is moving up the evolutionary ladder. my friend got a fungus growing in his brain. at first it just gave him headaches...then he thought he was john the baptist and started doing the weirdest things...then he passed out.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds