Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups
    #22978441 -

So for the past 2 days I've had this weird tenderness/mild pain in the upper front part of my left shoulder, kinda near where it connects to the arm, and it only started the other day after I did a bunch of traditional push-ups which I suspect I was doing incorrectly, I'm not sure what the problem is but it kinda has me a little peeved and so I thought I'd come here for some advice

I gave it a rest yesterday and today I've been doing modified countertop push-ups which don't seem to cause any pain to flare up at all, truthfully the only time it bothers me is when I rotate my shoulder a certain way or when I press on the certain part of the shoulder where I assume the pain is originating from

Do you think this could be some kind of rotator cuff injury or something? Please don't tell me to go see a doctor, I don't have health insurance and I can't afford to have my wallet cleaned out.. rather I'd appreciate some suggestions as to what I can do to strengthen that part of my shoulder and prevent this from being a problem in the future

Like I said it's not really a massive debilitating sort of pain.. it's moreso a kind of tenderness in that certain part of my shoulder, and as I said it doesn't hurt at all when I do these modified countertop pushups, and it didn't hurt while I was doing the traditional ones either although I'm sure doing those improperly was what caused this in the first place because it didn't bother me beforehand, I guess I just went a little too hard with improper form and this was the result of that

It should be noted that my right shoulder is perfectly fine as far as this goes, it's only in the left shoulder

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #22978493 -

No pain no gain.

Rest it a bit if you're worried. Do other exercises in the meantime. Always make sure you do plenty of stretches.


--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #22978548 -

I'm not really too worried about it, as I said it's nothing major, just some slight tenderness in that part of my shoulder, but it's not really a sore kind of tenderness which leads me to believe it was caused by improper form

I just don't want to fuck it up worse by making the same mistake so I've been doing modified push-ups instead which seems to have been helping a lot


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #22978854 -

I have some similar soreness in the front of my left shoulder. I usually find it flairs up when I do benchpress too high up on my chest. Try to center your hands at your nipples or lower on the pushups and see if that helps.

After you've rested it for a few days or week or whatever.


--------------------
I was pessimistic in my youth. Now I can just follow the Toronto Raptors.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: Ole Field Trashe]
    #22979031 -

Ahab McBathsalts said:
Try to center your hands at your nipples or lower on the pushups and see if that helps.





This.

Also, try to do some reverse pushups, like if you do 100 pushups throw in 20 of these to help increase your range of motion. 



If you do a lot of pushups you can get sore shoulders (obviously), when I started doing 200-400 a day I would get sore shoulders and thought I was getting injured.  I found that incorporating some reverse pushups in there, and varying the types of pushups I was doing, completely alleviated any pain.  Now I only get sore shoulders from running to work carrying a backpack, shit kills my nerves.:crankey:

Also, find some other calisthenic stuff you can do, there's a ton of it out there.  Don't overwork any one area, you will get fatigued quickly, and possibly injured in said area.

I like to do 15-20 of one type of pushup, then quickly switch to another type which keeps the tension up on your muscles, usually cycling between 3 or more different types to work different parts of my chest/shoulders.  Read about time under tension too.


--------------------
©️

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #22982149 -

TheFakeSunRa said:
No pain no gain.

Rest it a bit if you're worried. Do other exercises in the meantime. Always make sure you do plenty of stretches.




Om no, do not stretch. This is not PE in middle school where they lied to you. Stretching before working out might actually cause an injury. Maybe some warmups but pushups are already weak stuff.


--------------------
Yahweh is lying to you... I will show you the way. Trust me.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #22984819 -

Rotate your palms a little outwards and when you come down make sure your nipples are lined up with where your hands are. Sounds like you were using improper form and putting stress on your shoulders instead of on your chest.


--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: EDM]
    #22984915 -

EDM said:
TheFakeSunRa said:
No pain no gain.

Rest it a bit if you're worried. Do other exercises in the meantime. Always make sure you do plenty of stretches.




Om no, do not stretch. This is not PE in middle school where they lied to you. Stretching before working out might actually cause an injury. Maybe some warmups but pushups are already weak stuff.



Wow. The research agrees with you. I never even considered the possibility what my old coach taught me might be wrong. I like to think of myself as generally skeptical but this one flew under my radar. Thanks for the info. I'm actually very surprised.


--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: Webster10]
    #22986413 -

Webster10 said:
Rotate your palms a little outwards and when you come down make sure your nipples are lined up with where your hands are. Sounds like you were using improper form and putting stress on your shoulders instead of on your chest.



Yeah I believe that was indeed the problem

I've since corrected my form and am glad to say the pain/tightness has almost gone away entirely


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #22987902 -

I had the same reaction at one point in time. :mindblown:


--------------------
Yahweh is lying to you... I will show you the way. Trust me.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: EDM]
    #22988444 -

EDM said:
I had the same reaction at one point in time. :mindblown:



Well, you know...you play sports as a kid, your coach tells you this and that, I never thought to google whether or not actual scientific studies back it up.


--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #22995239 -

Well I don't wanna start a whole new thread but I need some input so here goes

My right wrist has been bugging me for a long time even before I started working out regularly.. it hurts when I bend it backwards or sideways, especially when I rotate it on a certain angle

It's not really too bad of a pain and it isn't weakened, doesn't have decreased mobility or anything like that so I don't believe it's carpal tunnel

But I've been working the heavy bag at the gym recently and I've noticed that seems to aggravate it even though I make sure to wear boxing wraps and practice proper punching technique, so I'm a bit stumped as to what the problem might be with it

Do you guys think I should go to a minute clinic and get it checked out? Like I said I can't afford to go to a real doctor, I have to save my money

Are there any wrist exercises I could do to strengthen it up and possibly reduce the risk of injury in the future?


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #22999006 -

OhMrJohnson said:
I gave it a rest yesterday and today I've been doing modified countertop push-ups which don't seem to cause any pain to flare up at all



Stop that =P

There is no reason to do push-ups the next day after you hurt your arm.

Even if it feels okay, it can still make things worse and you will have to wait that much more time.

You should give it like three days at least, of not hurting. Go work out on legs or something :V


--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #22999099 -

Give your wrist a break, even if it means not working out for a few days. My wrist is sometimes pretty sore from work and I have to angle my palms a certain way when I do pushups for it not to hurt.

As far as wrist exercises go, not really, but stronger forearms take a lot of the pressure off of your wrist. To work out your forearms really well you only really need like three exercises. Weighted roll-ups(put weight on one of those rollers with a rope hanging from it, extend your arms straight forward, and roll the weight up to your hands.) Wrist curls(literally just hold dumbells by your side and roll your wrists up.) Barbell rolls (put some weight on a bar, hold it with a close-grip behind your body, really like just below your ass, and just roll the bar in your hands).


--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: micro]
    #23002123 -

micro said:
OhMrJohnson said:
I gave it a rest yesterday and today I've been doing modified countertop push-ups which don't seem to cause any pain to flare up at all



Stop that =P

There is no reason to do push-ups the next day after you hurt your arm.

Even if it feels okay, it can still make things worse and you will have to wait that much more time.

You should give it like three days at least, of not hurting. Go work out on legs or something :V



My arm and shoulder actually got better really quick, like in a few day's time

Isn't sore or hurt at all but then again I have been hitting the gym and doing other upper body exercises so I'm sure that helped a great deal

I honestly think it was all caused by improper form


--------------------

Diminish the sub-principle and leave its toxic trace..
Once and for all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I think I hurt my shoulder somehow doing push-ups [Re: OhMrJohnson]
    #23002421 -

There are gloves that provide wrist support you may want to look into. You can strengthen your wrists. First & foremost, if there's pain, lay off. Note that there's a difference between soreness & pain. For the first 48 hours after the injury use ice: 15 minutes on, followed by a break. After 48 hours you can switch to heat; 15-20 minutes on, followed by a break. Do skin checks to ensure it's not too hot. You'll need to rest for a while. Depending on the severity & duration of the pain you may need to get checked out by Ortho. I get that you don't have insurance, but there's a whole going on in the hands/forearms, etc. overuse & slight strain is one thing, but there are myriad serious injuries that can occur. Continuing to exercise an overused/strained joint puts you at risk for serious injury.

If the pain & loss of ROM isn't enough to send you to the doctor, ice & rest. Then do some simple ROM exercises - NO weights/resistance other than gravity, just ROM. Never push yourself past the point of pain. If it hurts, stop. If you're experiencing significant pain doing simple ROM, you need to get looked at. In this case you'll want to follow the recommendations of Ortho, and your OT if they send you to one.

To strengthen your wrists, you need to focus on extrinsics & intrinsics. Forearm curls & reverse curls. Use very light & go for reps. Curls to hit your flexors, and reverse curls (wrist extension) to hit your extensions. Use a power grip to strengthen your intrinsic flexors. The handmaster plus is a good hand strengthening tool. It's like a stress ball that comes in different resistances, but also has bands to attach to each digit. This way you strengthen your digit flexors & extensor, as well as lumbricals. You want to strengthen each muscle; agonists & antagonists. Keeping a balanced joint is essential to preventing injury.

But again, if you're experiencing pain, stop. If you suspect an injury, take a break for a week, ice for a couple days. You can take an NSAID if necessary, but don't overdue it. Incidentally inflammation, while painful, is part of the body's healing process.  If you're still in pain in a week, continue the break. If the pain is severe, your ROM is limited & function is impacted, get to a doctor. There are ways around the financial issues, and we live close to each other, so if needed I can help you get reduced cost care.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Giving up Drugs daba 2,093 8 04/20/03 10:12 PM
by the free thinker
* Observable Fuck-up.
( 1 2 all )
PDU 4,816 23 03/24/17 07:44 AM
by Thisisthehardest
* i found some of stuff from when i was locked up...
( 1 2 all )
phishytrip 5,782 25 04/22/03 08:27 PM
by Mickel
* What do I do not to hurt someone I care about?? jono 1,199 8 07/06/03 02:11 PM
by djfrog
* Ouch it hurts.. Cryptic 1,650 6 03/09/03 09:06 PM
by Jackal
* lack of self-confidence hurting me socially... ichbinkiffer 2,330 13 04/02/06 01:19 PM
by DriAno
* broken up (me & the relationship) OLIO 1,447 12 07/15/04 06:41 AM
by UncleMike
* Some fucked up shit just went down. resin 2,682 15 08/14/03 03:31 AM
by Skikid16

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
620 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 15 queries.