Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Confused about racism
    #2293402 - 02/02/04 07:13 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Racism seems to be a highly fashionable word. Usually, it refers to white
(wo)men, although it seems equally fair to me to assume that there are coloured racists. The white (wo)man is always a racist, according to some, and if (s)he's not, (s)he suffers from feeling too much guilt about the past sins of his (her) brethren. Is there a way the white (wo)man can get off the hook? And is the claim that there's always something wrong with white (wo)men in itself racist?

I once saw this documentary about some elderly lady who was giving a class on racism. She would divide the group into brown eyed people and blue eyed people. The blue eyed people would be called 'boy' and generally inferior. At the end of the experiment, most blueys where either angry or crying. Only reasonable, no one likes to be discriminated.
Next, the white elderly lady who was teaching the class would ask coloured people how many times their white friends had told them "I don't see you as a black person". A lot would say their white friends had. Then the granny went on to say this was even more bigotry from the white man, since they were ignoring their colour and the culture that came with it.

This is where I draw the line. Anything that divides us instead of uniting us as an earth nation isn't all that good. What this lady seemed to be pointing out is that there is no way for the white man NOT to be racist, while the same statement by the white friends could just have easily have meant "I see you as my equal. I don't define you by your colour". After all, we're all human. I can't believe the coloured people in that class didn't have enough self esteem, and enough respect for their friends to refute the granny's claims, to claim that they didn't see themselves as a colour.
After all, it's very easy to claim you're being mistreated, and to ultimately use discrimination as an excuse for not succeeding. This isn't a trait limited to any one skin tone, it's a general human trait. We love to indulge in self-pity because it excuses us from doing anything about the situation.

How do you feel about racism, and what is it to you? Is it the most harmful form of discrimination (looking at numbers alone, the discrimination of women seems to be a bigger problem)?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelostsuitcase
...missing

Loc: mid-air?
Re: Confused about racism [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2293407 - 02/02/04 07:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

"How do you feel about racism, and what is it to you? Is it the most harmful form of discrimination (looking at numbers alone, the discrimination of women seems to be a bigger problem)?"

no, racism is more of a problem right now than sexism. Sexism hasnt caused billions of murders yet, racism has and is doing so. Its more a cultural thing than skin tone, its only about skin pigment for really dumb people, but those people are irrelevant, so they dont matter.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2293408 - 02/02/04 07:18 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Imho, racisum is just conditioning, from family or peirs.
Some people can break it, others can't, nothing more, nothing
less.

--------------------
er

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Confused about racism [Re: lostsuitcase]
    #2293422 - 02/02/04 07:31 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lostsuitcase said:
no, racism is more of a problem right now than sexism. Sexism hasnt caused billions of murders yet, racism has and is doing so.

Ideologies have caused just as many murders as racism has.

Quote:

Its more a cultural thing than skin tone, its only about skin pigment for really dumb people, but those people are irrelevant, so they dont matter.

Ignoring dumb people is discrimination too. But... do you believe you are defined only by what culture you were born into? Can you honestly say there is more of a cultural difference between black and white than there is among members of either race? No two people are the same, even if they were born within the same family. My brother and I are radically different on several issues, and this obviously has nothing to do with what culture we were born into. Humans aren't static, they're a process that is constantly evolving.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2293582 - 02/02/04 10:21 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

ok I see what you are saying here, and I agree with you. bigotry is one thing. now if she pointed out that instead of just flat out denying the color one could say, "hey of course i see this person is black. I'm not going to deny what's in front of my eyes, but I don't use it to judge another person. I shouldn't have to."

people jsut need to think about what words they use and to think of what thye say before they say it. what that woman said as the person being a bigot, is kinda harsh because at the least people are putting forth effort to see past racism

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology