Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Supplementing Spent Casings with Fresh Substrate.
    #2287170 - 01/30/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Now, I've always tossed my old casings after flush three as I've found the 4th flush to never be worth the effort.. recently, I thought "Hey, I oughta try mixing fresh food into the casing, and see what happens."

So, I crumbled the spent casing up into verm sized particles and then cooked about an equivalent volume of long brown rice. I mixed it all up very thoroughly, and covered it with saran wrap..(the same as when spawning to straw.) I was clean, but not sterile. (Hands and containers washed in alcohol, but all done in an open-air environment) My idea was that with a 1:1 spawn:substrate, and many dozen points of inoculation per grain of rice, that the mycelium would colonize it all before any contams could get a foothold.. and so far, it seems to be working. All visible rice is engulfed in nice white mycelium, and I assume that the same holds true throughout the substrate. The first 24 hours barely any growth occurred.. I assume this is because the network was shifting from fruiting back into vegetative/gathering mode.. After the 24 hours, the growth just exploded. Any grain that had any sign of growth on it was 100% the next morning.

Has anyone tried this before? What sort of fruits do you think I should expect? (If any)

Do you think that the mushrooms this puts off will be more potent due to higher concentration of alkaloids in the network than a fresh crop that has never produced fruits?

Should I add vermiculite, a la rez-effect.. or do you think the existing verm will be enough? As it is, I'm intending on just casing it as it lies.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :nut:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: Supplementing Spent Casings with Fresh Substrate. [Re: Jared]
    #2287191 - 01/30/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting. There has been some debate here as to wether or not this is a decent idea.

Only thing I can think of is that the spent materials may just be a burdon on the fresh materials trying to do their thing, but who the fuck am i? I'm just guessing.

Try it out. Update us, if all goes well I will follow your lead quickly.

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Supplementing Spent casings with fresh substrate. [Re: Jared]
    #2287195 - 01/30/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Wow jared I'm gonna have to give you a medal or something, thats great. I've never tried that before, but I think I could give it a shot with some worm castings. You may get more potent fruits, or would it mean more potent mycellium? I think rez-effect is a good idea too, try the mixing with verm and see if you can get bigger fruits!

SM

--------------------

Offlinetat2edboy
low flyin plane
Loc: under the radar
    #2292802 - 02/02/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Really interested to hear the outcome!!

--------------------
Regret is a waste of time

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Supplementing Spent casings with fresh substrate. [Re: tat2edboy]
    #2292941 - 02/02/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Outcome: bad.. but my fault :P

The rice was colonized 100%, when I broke it all apart, it was all clean healthy white mycelium through and through, no off smells or colors... but I got greedy.... :frown:

I decided to try it again, and mixed it once more with rice, but in a 2:1 substrate:spawn ratio. Smells like saki now. =(

I'm not giving up on this.. I think its just a matter of finding the right ratio, and catching the casing at the right moment of expiration...

I'll update when I have more to post. :wink:

Anonymous

#2292950 - 02/02/04 02:01 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you should pasturize compost you wont get contams like at all I dont anyway. Jared you get my syringes links?

OfflineSkunkMonk
Lab-Rat is myMiddle Name.

Loc: South Africa
Re: Supplementing Spent Casings with Fresh Substrate. [Re: Jared]
    #2293121 - 02/02/04 03:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've done this with some success. I agree with Fee, pasturize your substrate first. After doing 5 jars I had some substrate left so I filled 3 shot glasses and one small drinking glass and innoculated. When 100% colonised I cased. With the small glass I put a bottom casing layer and then some goat manure then the crumbled mycelium then top casing. I covered with foil and put in a dark place for 5 - 6 days. Birthed it and two weeks later shrooms. Ok it wasn't an old cake but it's still using the manure for food. I also dit it all in my pressure glove box not open air. I did the same with my outdoor bed (all in open air) and I now have shrooms growing there too.

--------------------
If one has all,
Then one lies.
No one too tall,
Can Touch the sky.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation