Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request)
    #22414752 -

So I've been keeping an eye on this patch of yellow slime mold for damn near a year now off and on. Today for the first time I got to see its reproductive stage, forming spores! :yesnod: (the good folks over at the slime mold collective told me they can only be properly ID'd from their reproductive stage :shrug:)

So without further ado, here's the pics! I have more but I doubt they're necessary.

1st pic is the normal stage where it seems to colonize logs in search of food. When I first found this colony, it had virtually 100% colonized a large fallen log! Still the most impressive display of slime mold I've seen



These last two pics are the spores. quality is as good as I could get it, they are just yellow dots on yellow strings though.





There were some similarly shaped spore bodies farther down the same log, but they were white/gray

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22416300 -

The slime mold collective sounds like an interesting place haha. I thought this picture looked similar. It's Physarum polycephalum.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Rebirtha]
    #22417454 -

Rebirtha said:
The slime mold collective sounds like an interesting place haha. I thought this picture looked similar. It's Physarum polycephalum.





yeah its a pretty cool place. First heard about it on a ted talk. Not much activity compared to here though.

That looks pretty much identical its just the formation of the spores that looks different. That one is straightup clumping whereas the one I saw mostly on formed along straight lines

Maybe mine was just fruiting in a weird spot so its looks different :shrug:

thanks so much for the reply!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22417474 -

Nice. I seen similar things but it was more like a fungus, forming little yellow bodies in close proximity to one another on a log. Not all slimey!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: MajickMuffin]
    #22417546 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22419975 -

Are you going to try to culture this?


--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #22420685 -

I'd been meaning to read into it. I don't know if its better to have the spores or anything. Or if you can grow them on agar or what

The times I've tried to take the normal plasmodium home to try to grow out it hasn't worked out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22420812 -

I don't come across it often enough to try, I had some last year that I pulled from some trash and set aside, but by the time I remembered it, it had dried out. I was watching some videos about slime molds like a week ago and it kind of made me want to grow some.


--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22420900 -

I suppose there is this

http://www.buildingthepride.com/faculty/pgdavison/PHYSARUM%20culture%20for%20web.html

I see tons of them in this forest I frequent. I seem to be lucky, most people have little luck in their slime mold hunts. Some of the things I think are slime molds turn out to be fungi and some things I think are fungi turn out to be slime molds

I even saw these clusters of small black tentacles last time I went out. Too small to get good enough pictures of with my phone though, didn't bother posting the ones I took

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22422516 -

https://www.flinnsci.com/media/406395/bf10586.pdf

Hey, it sounds like if I get some going, I can just let them dry out and mail the resulting sclerotia to whoever else on here wants to grow some. They stay viable for a year so there'd be plenty of time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22425052 -

Hey i remember seeing this thread and i just found this earlier today, i figured you guys might like to see it!




look similar to what you guys have posted, pretty interesting.

it had caught my friends eye while we were hunting cyans!


--------------------
HAWK NATION

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: nexxone]
    #22425093 -

very cool! I wonder if its the same species and it just looks different because of its location/substrate or what.

I went to collect some for growing today and the spores had all dried up :omgz: but I still collected some to see if they'll revive, as well as multiple samples of plasmodium, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22426015 -

I have a big yellow fucker living in my Gym tub. He doesn't seem to kill the fungus. Maybe when he produces spores I can identify him.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Lost Geometer B]
    #22426488 -

you're growing mushrooms indoors and you have a slime mold in the bin? very odd.

Slime molds will eat crust fungi IME, dunno about classic shrooms

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22426754 -

LGB you should post a picture if you're able too, sounds very intresting!


--------------------
HAWK NATION

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: nexxone]
    #22426776 -

:whathesaid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22427007 -

He's  not super visible right now. I think it was cleaning up after the last flush, and enjoying the water I was spraying. If I can find a good camera for close ups I'll see if I can make him pose.

The original substrate in that tub was bark/wood mulch from my university, which slime molds liked a lot. I think some spores made it through pasteurization.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Lost Geometer B]
    #22427106 -

Lost Geometer B said:
He's  not super visible right now. I think it was cleaning up after the last flush, and enjoying the water I was spraying. If I can find a good camera for close ups I'll see if I can make him pose.

The original substrate in that tub was bark/wood mulch from my university, which slime molds liked a lot. I think some spores made it through pasteurization.



ha, wow. something really cool happened in your bin, I hope you fully appreciate how cool that is.

I've read that slime mold feed mainly on bacteria, so perhaps that would be considered a beneficial survivor of pasteurization. What I'm curious about now is if you pasteurized properly or not. It would be cool if slime mold could survive those temps (which seems unlikely at first blush, but you never know)

If you didn't pasteurize properly, its possible that the slime mold ate the rest of the bad bacteria/spores and saved your project :lol:

Either way I've been very interested in having companion organisms involved in mushroom cultivation. This seems like a good candidate. They do like similar (if not identical) environments after all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #22427148 -

That actually sounds like a cool idea, having the slime mold growing in there as maybe a way to help guard against unwanted bacteria.


--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Yellow Slime Mold: Finally they make spores! (ID request) [Re: Mrcloudy]
    #22427205 -

Mrcloudy said:
That actually sounds like a cool idea, having the slime mold growing in there as maybe a way to help guard against unwanted bacteria.



Maybe it could be used to treat bulk beds that contam. Or contamed casings.

There's so little info about them available online, especially individual species. Looks like I might have to purchase a book about them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Spore Results: P. castaneifolius and subbalteatus PICS!
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,882 27 09/04/02 01:26 PM
by Anonymous
* Around a Polish Town with a Canon MagmaManiac 1,642 13 07/21/03 07:33 AM
by MagmaManiac
* Need a mushroom Id smokeaspliff 1,962 4 05/21/02 10:57 AM
by MushroomBoy123
* possible cyans, need ID wortels1985 1,625 6 11/21/02 12:20 AM
by wortels1985
* Help, un-ID'd bluing Psilocybe sp. in Seattle.
( 1 2 all )
spores 8,057 21 11/20/01 08:25 AM
by mikeofyle
* I finally found some Psilocybes in Seattle!!!!!! spores 1,640 6 10/25/01 06:35 PM
by pyromaniac
* hey i need more id's DrGonzo401 1,598 5 12/06/01 12:55 PM
by Levi7
* help id (sydney aust) jaysun 1,683 9 05/08/03 02:55 PM
by blaze2

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
3,334 topic views. 0 members, 33 guests and 61 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.