Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Faster aging on PDA
    #2211551 - 12/31/03 10:17 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

have read in a book that mycelium that grows on PDA ages faster since PDA contains more glucose ? The author recommends DFA or MEA. Is that true ?

That's the book.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: ragadinks]
    #2211570 - 12/31/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

PDA does usually contain more d-glc., but I can't imagine it's a huge problem since almost all experiments I read are done on PDA. Did he prove that with an experiment, or just make an assumption? I would assume he means generations to senesce a strain -- PDA keeps mycelium alive just like anything else.... If he means time to senesce a strain he should know multiple generations shouldn't be done on a single type of media, anyway....

PDA is fine -- I've had better results using PDA then MEA, anyway, so it's usually my agar of choice.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: micro]
    #2211941 - 12/31/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

The author writes in that book that strains senesce faster on PDA due to the glucose in it. That is why he is using MEA and DFA. It was just stated in the book like this. I do not know whether this statement is backed up by experiment or just an assumption. But as far as I know the author of this statement is a mycrobiologist and so I hope his statements are based on some experience ...
I usually use PDYA and hope that I can do that in future, too  :frown:

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2212138 - 12/31/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Isn't senescense just due to high number of reproductions and the telemeres being depleted. So if PDA is higher in glucose amd nutrients, or an easier environment for reproduction to occur in, couldn't reproduction occur faster with less nutritional barriers to overcome and thereby aging it faster?

Peace - @cro

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: @cro]
    #2212160 - 12/31/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Isn't senescense just due to high number of reproductions and the telemeres being depleted.

Yes.

Quote:

So if PDA is higher in glucose amd nutrients, or an easier environment for reproduction to occur in, couldn't reproduction occur faster with less nutritional barriers to overcome and thereby aging it faster?

Not really. The size of the petri would limit the number of times it would reproduce. I don't think it's a big deal.

--
Micro

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2212181 - 12/31/03 03:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Sure if growth was contained, but then senescense wouldn't occur at all. I thought we were assuming unlimited transfers, in which case only speed of coloniztion would matter?

--------------------

Offlinejustsmurfy
little bluetwerp

#2212296 - 12/31/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

micro said:
Quote:

Isn't senescense just due to high number of reproductions and the telemeres being depleted.

Yes.

I'm not so sure of that. What makes me wonder is what I understand to be the largest lifeform on the planet: a huge mycelial mat in some forest in Colorado. I'm prety well convinced that there are differences in telomerase activy in plants and animals- I think of grape and apple cultivars that have been cloned successively for several hundred and sometimes thousands of years. If the telomeres degraded after each cell division, it seems there would be nothing left of the chromsomes at this point (=premature aging? what's a prematurely aged plant look like, anyways?). It seems to me that almost any acres-large organism would likely suffer telomere delpletion and then genetic damage unless telomerase activity differs from that in animals.

It also seems to me that for telomere depletion to occur, it would take more than a single petri dish's worth of growth for it to become evident.

-JustSmurfy

--------------------
Unsuitable for Human Consumption

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: justsmurfy]
    #2212915 - 01/01/04 03:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I also wonder how the mycelium of this Armillariella mellea in Colorado could have become so huge when is aging like that ?

--------------------
-> Errors Are A Great Source Of Knowledge <-
-> It Is Not Important WHO Is Right But WHAT Is Right <-

Offlinellamaboy
the weasel thatsnagged the bee

Loc: Portland PNW
    #2212918 - 01/01/04 03:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i could be wrong about all of this, but as i understand it, when you clone something and keep using that same genetic material over and over again, it begins to break down(whether it be telomeres or what not) but with say that giant fungal colony in colorado, it's still breeding, and thus introducing genetic variability...just because it's a huge single life form, doesn't mean that the mycelium isn't undergoing karyogamy. and if it is, then telomeres aren't really going to be displaced.

OfflineCaptainFuture
Finally being here now :)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: llamaboy]
    #2212966 - 01/01/04 05:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hi there,
my favorite ist MEA, but I use the much cheaper brown ME, although some experts say its caramelizing when sterilized. I have good results on the classic receipe- only when I use much more than the 20gr. on 1Liter it makes the mycel grow stopping after initial growth.

PDA behaves in my case often like honey. It lowers the groth rate a lot and mycelia seems to thinner on this Agar. It helps a bit using more potato and less Dextrose. But my second choice is DFA using the buiscuit DF type and mixing/filtering it before cooking with agar. On this media mycelia grows well but you can't see through it- thats a big minus on it.

For Pans I use cow dung and for my semilanceata and mexicana I use horse dung in the normal MEA or DFA. (a few wet pieces in the petri)

Greez
Cap

Edited by CaptainFuture (01/01/04 06:01 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: CaptainFuture]
    #2213036 - 01/01/04 09:38 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

quote:
"only when I use much more than the 20gr. on 1Liter it makes the mycel grow stopping after initial growth."

--------------------------------------------------

I have much better luck mixing up a very weak batch of agar. It seems the mycelia does better when it's a bit hungry. Also, I can't imagine letting mycelia grow long enough on agar to induce senescense.
I think the type of agar is up to individual taste and preference. The main point of agar is to isolate strains/contams and then move on to grains as quickly as possible.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #2220022 - 01/05/04 06:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2220189 - 01/05/04 08:07 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ragadinks said:
I also wonder how the mycelium of this Armillariella mellea in Colorado could have become so huge when is aging like that ?

Some species degrade faster then other. I have noticed that Pleurotus djamor culture slowly looses pink color and Morchella esculenta forms less and less sclerotia on agar. I think that senescence is a "bug" of fast growing species.
Armillarea grows slowly but unstoppable. It's very weird mushroom, the only I've seen that grows inside of agar and not only on the surface:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Faster aging on PDA [Re: zeronio]
    #2221156 - 01/05/04 05:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Woow, great picture ! How did you make that ?
By the way, has anybody ever succeeded in getting to fruit Armillariella mellea ? I like it's taste.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2222161 - 01/06/04 01:17 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

It's a macro photo of a Armillariella (Armillarea) tabescens petri dish. A. mellea has almost identical looking mycellium. Unfortunately I wasn't successful in fruiting them. :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds