Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Casing humidity requirements and timeline??
    #2159294 - 12/04/03 09:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Mr. Anderson has 5 casings done in little foil cake pans w/holes in the bottom that are about 8 days old. After the third day they were moved from the incubator to the fruiting chamber since mycelium was showing in all of the little valleys and such - so thats 5 days now in the fruiting chamber. The casings themselves seem a little on the dry side so he's been occasionally misting them very lightly - he's heard different opinions on misting casings, but thinks that its most important that the casings don't dry out, he just trys not to overdo it.

Anyways, he thinks it strange that the casings are drying out because the fruiting chamber has a really RH - around 98%. He knows thats a bit above what casings really need and is wondering if it will cause any problems. Any thoughts?

On a related note, he hasn't seen much on a real timeline for casings - he's read a few grow logs which seem to indicate 10 or so days to initiate pinning and just wants to know if that's about what to expect.

Thanks for any advice you can give the guy...

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Casing humidity requirements and timeline?? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2159315 - 12/04/03 09:44 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If the casings are drying out you should see a change in colour in the casing material -- it should become lighter over time. If the terrarium is really at 98% rH and you are misting every day they should not be drying out. If they are then your hydrometer is broken, or they aren't really drying out.

Pinning could take anywhere from 3 days to like 2 weeks, depending.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Casing humidity requirements and timeline?? [Re: micro]
    #2159329 - 12/04/03 09:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The casings do get lighter - not drastically so though. I've misted three times now - when they first got out of the incubator, two days into fruiting and today.

As for the hydrometer - I *know* it's not broken because I'm getting that same reading from both my digital and my analog one.

Any thoughts on the high-ish humidity? Will it cause problems?

Oh - and thanks for the info on pinning - makes Mr. Anderson very happy.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#2159345 - 12/04/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

How much isn't drastically? The difference should be very clear -- it's not hard to tell the difference between a dry casing and a moist one.

What's your casing material? If you have a light shining directly on it that can cause it to dry out.

Other than that your casings shouldn't be drying out if they are misted and are at 98% rH.

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2159573 - 12/04/03 10:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Well, it takes about 2-3 days for things to really "look" dry. The casing material is a 60/40 mix of verm and peat (Jiffy Mix). However - the whole setup is relatively near a heat duct - that dry heat might be doing just that, drying it out.

Anyhoo - you seem to agree that misting casings isn't a problem - have you misted casings in the past and not run into trouble?

Again, thanks!

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

#2159609 - 12/04/03 11:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't even humidify them -- I keep them covered and just fan + mist every day. I do this once a day and I've never had a problem unless it wasn't covered properly. My apt. has been at 30% rH, too.

At that much humidity, though, it shouldn't dry out -- the heat could certainly be causing it -- who knows? There is an external factor causing it to dry out, as long as the hydrometer works, of course (I know I'm repeating myself, but I've seen people have problems with this. If you have 2, though, that most likely isn't the reason.)

--
Micro

--------------------

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2164133 - 12/06/03 01:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Woo hoo! As of yesterday evening pinning has begun on 2 of the casings. There are about 20 pins between those two cakes. The other three casings are looking just like the other 3 did just before they started to pin so Mr. Anderson has high hopes!

--------------------

OfflineIC3D

#2164281 - 12/06/03 03:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Be carefull count your pinning since it will abort. Just like if you point to watermelon vine, it killed watermelon. Also, it possible RH flow straight up were the case layer couldn't received Rh like smoke flows upward and smokedetecor will set off just like Rh meter reading. Make sence???

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
Re: Casing humidity requirements and timeline?? [Re: IC3D]
    #2164422 - 12/06/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I follow you - but the RH meter is positioned just like the cakes are - right above the lava rocks. Also - because the actual airflow in the PMP is not high the result is a lot of vortices and general mixing of the air (trust me here, I put some colored water vapor into the PMP when I was first done constructing it and saw the crazy way the air circulates.

As for not pointing at the pins or whatever - I'm just not superstitious about that sort of thing.

--------------------

OfflineIC3D

#2164740 - 12/06/03 06:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LOL. Yeah, I don't belives those Superstitous things either but, Its seem like it happen to make it abort. My start to drying up come to found out it was too much fanning. I place a lid back on it and leave a little crack to pervent stale air. It works.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation