Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes
    #2142805 -

Which is the best cheap alternative to the more than buck each filter disc and works best for keeping contams out?


--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: MadHatR]
    #2142887 -

I can tell you, at least, coffee filters will not prevent the passing of organisms. It may prevent them, somewat, but you can't sterilize anything by passing it through a coffee filter. It should not be used as a biological filter -- only something in addition to a vermiculite barrier.

I don't use tyvek or polyfill, so I don't know about them.

--
Micro


--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: micro]
    #2143166 -

I would vote tyvek. It is easy to use and works well enough for the layman. After using polyfill for many months, switching to tyvek was the best decision I made. I have had less contams and no noticeable difference in colonizing speed.



--------------------
No, I do not think I am above the law.  There are times; inspired and enraptured that I feel I am BEYOND the law.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: Fuman]
    #2143345 -

There's always some inherent risk in anything you do. whether you chose tyvek or poly I've seen them both preform well. a roll of tyvek will last you a long, long, long, time. check out anno's experiment. isn't anno the shiz-nizzle?
http://www.fungifun.org/pf/tyvek.htm


--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: Suby]
    #2143564 -

Yes, Anno is the shiz-nizzle!!!


--------------------
Peace all.

Jater

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: dastats]
    #2143660 -

I'm using polyfil for grains so far so good....couldn't find tyvek envelopes but after using polyfil I'm kinda glad I couldn't locate them cause it works great and its cheap and easy to find.....btw coffee filters do work but I only used them for brf jars

EDIT: there was no vermiculite barrier btw I personally think they are pointless and just take up space that could have been used for substrate

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: ]
    #2144013 -

I started out using surgical insturmentation wrap (manufactured by 3m, designed to allow steam / gas penetration, but no any biological penetration), then went to 3 coffee filters, and now just the alum foil. if your asceptic technique is good, you don't need much.


--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2146137 -


if you're doing brf cakes they don't really need any air exchange just tape up the needle holes and incubate.

a bag of polyfil from your local craft shop will last you for a long long time.

tyvek i've only just started playing with. got 2 qts of popcorn with polyfil and 2 qts with tyvek. at 3 days niethier is showing any signs of growth, but no contams eithier so I think it really may be up in the air as to which one is preferable.

coffee filters? welp i never thought of trying them, but from what others are saying sounds like something best left alone.

my .02
rh95

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfill vs coffee filters vs tyvek envelopes [Re: 95rh]
    #2146268 -

tyvek works perfect...exec. gas exchange fast colon...
never got cont. witj tyvek i tried 2 times witj polyfil 2 times 1 got cont. and the colon. too slow..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* are coffe filters good filter disk? dressel11 1,948 12 09/20/11 01:07 PM
by Lana
* LIQUID CULTURE FILTER
( 1 2 3 all )
agar 16,690 44 01/26/19 01:27 PM
by Joekay111
* Filter inside spawn jars? astabooty 676 9 09/25/05 07:10 PM
by HippieChick
* coffe filters as an air filter? bravar 2,050 3 04/23/02 08:11 PM
by Champion des Champignons
* Anyone familar with polyfill lids or filter discs? AdamJames 2,396 3 11/20/04 02:48 AM
by doc34
* coffe filter marx2k 1,469 5 08/17/01 05:55 AM
by protocoldroid
* Polyfill, tyvek or filter discs? Cubieman420 5,513 18 08/23/05 12:57 AM
by Cubieman420
* Do popcorn jars have to have a filter lid? ShroomyMcPot 872 6 06/02/04 05:17 PM
by mockeylock

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
3,025 topic views. 15 members, 64 guests and 88 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.