Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Mythology..
    #2145145 - 11/29/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Y'know how history would have us believe that people in the past believed in all this shit about fairies and giants and sorcerers and all that? Well, I don't think they did believe it back then. It's not like people were way more stupid back then. Likely they believed it the same amount our modern world believes in aliens visiting earth. There's enough material about aliens that historians digging us up would probably be like "yeah, these people believed in numerous alien races inhabiting distant planets blah blah blah" when that wouldn't be a fair statement at all.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

Re: Mythology.. [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2145294 - 11/29/03 09:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

no i think they believed it at least more than we did. why do you think there are these isolated hunter gatherer societies still killing chickens to tell the future? they did not reach the level of science we have, which can explain all that stuff away.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Mythology.. [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2145328 - 11/29/03 09:57 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

actually, you can get a lot of good advice from doing things like sacrificing chickens and reading their bones. It's a reflective form of divination and I highly reccomend it.

we can't explain away the aliens. There are always these myths at the edge of what we can prove, no matter how advanced. Our mythological creatures move through different dimensions and warp around the universe whereas the old mythical creatures lived on a certain mountaintop. The ratio of believers to non-believers is the same. Rational thought isn't new.

Invisiblemuhurgle
Turtles all theway down

#2146103 - 11/30/03 08:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think so. We are conditioned to think rationally and to question things from an early age. At least to some degree.

Just take a look at religion. I'm pretty sure there are more people who, if not totally rejecting it, at least questions more of it now than before.

Imagine living in a very small community with little or no communciation with other communities. If there is some belief that is held in high regard in this community, I would say it's more probable that you would buy into it if you never meet anybody else that have other beliefs. I'm pretty sure geographical mobility has been much higer the last, say, five hundred years than it has before.

On the other hand, I've always found it strange that major religions didn't crumble (or at least transformed a lot) once it became commonly known that there were other, very contradictory, major religions.

--------------------
"To make this mundane world sublime
Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #2146207 - 11/30/03 10:28 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Mythology is a name used to describe the beliefs of other religions. The Greek and Roman myths were their religion. If you believe in a religion, try going through and seeing how many things your religion says actually happened that a nonbeliever would consider weird or wacky.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Mythology.. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2147210 - 11/30/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Mythology is what we commonly call fairy tales. Legends speak of historical events, exaggerated because of oral tradition. Myths are stories that explain how and why things work.

Myths become mythology when a culture evolves into a new state. For instance, local myths in Egypt largely became mythology when Christian rulers took over.

A myth about the sun rising and setting in Egypt is that the Nile river transported the body of the dead sun back to the East every night, for the sun to be reborn and take back to the skies.
An example of mythology are the family relations within a pantheon.

I think people definately believed myths and legens, much as most of contemporary people believe science and personal accounts on historical events. Not everyone believed mythology. In ancient Greece, Xenophanes and Socrates are examples of this.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology