Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
tyvek tape
    #21412438 -



--------------------


Shroomery needs a gun forum!!!!!!!!! CAN WE HAVE ONE?????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: silverstem]
    #21412443 -

That's cool. I have SFDs on my lids but I would have used that before I made the switch.


--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: NumeroEno]
    #21412967 -

Tyvek tape isn't tyvek it's just made to seam tyvek together. tyvek is HDPE specially produced to have the characteristic qualities. the tape is polypropylene with an acrylic adhesive. I doubt the tape is gas exchangeable

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21413013 -

Oh, so it's not like micropore tape but made of tyvek?


--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: NumeroEno]
    #21413046 -

it's not made of tyvek either it's made to stick tyvek together.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21413083 -

So it's seam tape for tyvek vapor barriers on houses?


--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21413155 -

bodhisatta said:
Tyvek tape isn't tyvek it's just made to seam tyvek together. tyvek is HDPE specially produced to have the characteristic qualities. the tape is polypropylene with an acrylic adhesive. I doubt the tape is gas exchangeable


Op Tyvek house wrap would be the shit but the tape is a big fat no the addhesives used on it would make it un breatheable. Not to say you can't find a use for it.


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: NumeroEno]
    #21413189 -

NumeroEno said:
So it's seam tape for tyvek vapor barriers on houses?


yes Tyvek is put on new constructions  to allow for gas exchange just like  we do on jars but most of us use silicon to secure it instead of tape that would be used on a 4000 sq foot house.I have to make a correction it is attatched by Buttton cap nails and the tape just joins it. Sorry didn't wannna mislead anyone.

Edited by r00tuuu123 (03/15/15 08:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21413213 -

Yeah I spent the better part of a decade as a carpenter. I never taped tyvek. I always just stapled the shit out of it with a hammer tacker.


--------------------

:gd_icon:  Let it grow! Let it grow! Greatly yield!  :gd_icon:
What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in

DOG FOOD AGAR

MY ELECTRIC INOCULATION LOOP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: NumeroEno]
    #21413671 -

yea i went to home depot and checked it out... its just like duct tape......


--------------------


Shroomery needs a gun forum!!!!!!!!! CAN WE HAVE ONE?????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: silverstem]
    #21414002 -

silverstem said:
yea i went to home depot and checked it out... its just like duct tape......



:thatsayes:


--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21414367 -

If you are in mycology for the long haul just get some synthetic filter discs(SFD). I use the cellolose filter discs(CFD) from alohamedicinal.com. I get there 1 piece metal lids to go with it, comes with a 3/4 inch central drilled hole. These work great for me since all my grain inoculations are done either with an agar wedge or through g2g transfers, since my lids have no inoculation ports. You can't inject through a SFD/CFD.

The prices from aloha are quite reasonable, as well. There CFDs are made to withstand 100s of cycles without losing their filter rating. Many of the SFDs on the market start to lose viability after just a few pc cycles because the pore sizes widen.

Tyvek works... but it's not the best. If you are set on using tyvek, get the 1 piece suits made of tyvek. You can even cut the arms off and use them in your SAB(still air box). I'd avoid the tyvek postal envelopes, even though there was a time I used to suggest them. Theyre less than optimal.

GE(gas exchange) filtration is a very integral step of mycology, it's important to not skimp out on it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #21414377 -

TheEaglesGift said:
If you are in mycology for the long haul just get some synthetic filter discs(SFD). I use the cellolose filter discs(CFD) from alohamedicinal.com. I get there 1 piece metal lids to go with it, comes with a 3/4 inch central drilled hole. These work great for me since all my grain inoculations are done either with an agar wedge or through g2g transfers, since my lids have no inoculation ports. You can't inject through a SFD/CFD.

The prices from aloha are quite reasonable, as well. There CFDs are made to withstand 100s of cycles without losing their filter rating. Many of the SFDs on the market start to lose viability after just a few pc cycles because the pore sizes widen.

Tyvek works... but it's not the best. If you are set on using tyvek, get the 1 piece suits made of tyvek. You can even cut the arms off and use them in your SAB(still air box). I'd avoid the tyvek postal envelopes, even though there was a time I used to suggest them. Theyre less than optimal.

GE(gas exchange) filtration is a very integral step of mycology, it's important to not skimp out on it.



What's your take on polyfill? I make sure it's tightly fitted into my lids and it seems to work well.


--------------------
My Grow Logs:    Psychoactives:mushroom2:      Edibles & Medicinals 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: Junior Fungus]
    #21414388 -

That's the thing, I had great success with postal tyvek squares taped over a 1/4 inch GE hole with micropore tape. I never had contamination under my lids, and all my contamination issues could be traced back to the inoculant. Maybe I have a low spore count in my place, maybe I just have good luck. After looking at postal tyvek under a microscope I said "oh hell no", and switched to CFDs from Aloha. I can't in good faith suggest anything to anybody that is less than optimal, it's just not in my nature- so I don't suggest anything besides CFDs/SFDs.

If you are getting good results with your polyfil filters and have no complaints, then I suppose you should keep doing it. If it aint broke don't fix it, kind of situation.

That said, if we want to strive for the best success rate as possible we should focus on refining our technique in each phase of the grow, which is why I switched to the best filter I could find.

How's your contamination rate in your spawn?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #21414419 -

Well I do get contams every now and then, but I would blame technique before the filter. Time will tell whether I really need better filters or not, but so far I usually get about 1-2 contam jars out of 12. Like I said though, I'm usually able to remember "oh shit this is probably the jar I kept open too long in my SAB" or "some of its spawn touched my glove during g2g" or things like that. My technique needs some perfecting.

I'll be buying a bigger PC and maybe another dehydrator before I go and buy SFDs. Good on you for the upgrade though! Are you at 100% success yet? :p


--------------------
My Grow Logs:    Psychoactives:mushroom2:      Edibles & Medicinals 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: Junior Fungus]
    #21414426 -

Not 100 percent yet, but damn near close.

I think I got 100 CFDs for about 25 dollars from aloha. They're cheap, very very cheap, and the best money can buy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: TheEaglesGift]
    #21414587 -

even aloha is not at 100%.

shit happens.

one piece metal lids FTW though :rockon:


--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: tyvek tape [Re: blindingleaf]
    #21414610 -

Quote:
one piece metal lids FTW though :rockon:




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tyvek Tape Info physlent killer 1,602 11 01/04/08 08:53 AM
by DontPlay
* Tyvek Tape? Dexter_Morgan 1,550 19 03/16/05 02:25 PM
by scatmanrav
* Tip - Free Tyvek Tape psilocybinocean 808 5 12/12/06 09:56 AM
by royer
* Faht's self-healing tyvek lids
( 1 2 all )
fahtsterM 6,778 23 06/22/06 08:48 AM
by twoci
* Where can I find Tuck Tape and is it good in the long run??? Socrates 781 12 02/23/07 03:46 PM
by Socrates
* tyvek monotub
( 1 2 3 all )
themycologist 9,048 45 04/04/08 09:21 AM
by themycologist
* Tyvek vs Polyfil daimyo 1,932 11 03/17/05 04:04 AM
by Roadkill
* Tyvek with just ring and no lid = bad myth? krazycure 1,279 5 10/20/04 11:53 AM
by Gr0wer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,889 topic views. 8 members, 45 guests and 275 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.