Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Incubation Problems/question
    #2108918 - 11/15/03 01:51 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I have a question. I'm going to do a grain substrate in pint jars. So you know those jars have 2 pieces, the outside ring and inside disk...could I just ditch the middle disk, and screw the ring over a bigger piece of tyvek, and just use the tyvek for the top? And when I innoculate, puncture the tyvek and immediately put a piece of tape over the hole. Would this work against contams?

2nd, is it bad if your incubation chamber has saturated humidity? I am using an aquarium heater to keep water in my incubator warm but as a consequence there is a lot of evaporation within the incubator. Is this going to hinder my colonization? should i find a way to shield the water so it doesn't evaporate?

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Incubation Problems/question [Re: jong21]
    #2108941 - 11/15/03 02:00 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

First of all, if you use too much tyvek your jars will most likely dry out -- water vapor can still get through. If you have 100% humidity, though, it might not matter, but I wouldn't reccomend it -- just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. You don't need that much air exchange, and some CO2 will speed up growth, anyway. Just my opinion.

Humidity won't cause evaporation to go up, but you will get condensation on the inside of the bins because the outside of the bins is likely colder than the inside air. Humidity is good, but it isn't nessecary for colonizing jars, if you make them the normal way.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinejong21
Mycologist/CSMajor

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Re: Incubation Problems/question [Re: micro]
    #2109024 - 11/15/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Well I had tons of problems getting the right temperature previously...it'd fluctuate too much and after some bad experiences with a heating pad (overheating) I decided to get cooler, throw some water in the bottom and set an aquarium heater for 85 degrees and close it up...since the cooler is such a good insulator, if the water is maintained at 85 degrees, within an hour or so the rest of air is at equilibrium. I have the jars suspended above the water by I guess you could say a makeshift mini table made out of random trash basically, but it works. So, is this ok? I am well aware I don't need the humidity, as of now it just makes it really easy for me to get hte right temperature. So if the humidity isn't BAD that's all I care about.

--------------------
I either talk about my friends in the first or third person, but I never, ever talk about myself on this website. Except that last sentence.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2109036 - 11/15/03 02:40 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

It's not bad.  Just be neat -- for example don't let substrate get on the top or sides of the jar or anything since it can be a contamination problem -- especially with that much humidity.  Just be careful and you should be fine :wink:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
    #2109348 - 11/15/03 05:06 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

jong21 said:
I have a question. I'm going to do a grain substrate in pint jars. So you know those jars have 2 pieces, the outside ring and inside disk...could I just ditch the middle disk, and screw the ring over a bigger piece of tyvek, and just use the tyvek for the top? And when I innoculate, puncture the tyvek and immediately put a piece of tape over the hole. Would this work against contams?

I'd say that keeping the lid there would increase the sterile "shielding" around the jar, keep the air exchange ideal, and not let the cakes lose too mush moisture. Keep the lids, IMO. If you want a one piece system, get plastic lids, drill a single hole in them, put the tyvek underneath. People clog the holes with polyfil, but I feel that having the tyvek there is enough. All I need, anyway.

Quote:

2nd, is it bad if your incubation chamber has saturated humidity?

Yes. Your contam rate will drastically increase.  Hot, moist climates are ideal conditions for bacteria, fungus and molds of all sort. Those exact conditions are being created in your jars, intentionally, to speed colonization. A few thousand errant spores from some nasties growing outside the jars but inside the terrarium could ruin an entire jar.

Quote:

I am using an aquarium heater to keep water in my incubator warm but as a consequence there is a lot of evaporation within the incubator. Is this going to hinder my colonization? should i find a way to shield the water so it doesn't evaporate? 

www.mycotopia.net  Click on "TEK's", then on "incubator". You've almost got that one built already. Basically you just drop in a rubbermaid container that fits into your cooler into the cooler, and keep the water level so that it doesn't pour into the rubbermaid. You'll have 80 degree water surrounding the  entire rubbermaid.  Put a thermometer in there, seal it up so no moistuer gets in, and grow grow grow :smile:
Good luck

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation