Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
bleach question
    #588216 -

After a few PF cake successes (with occasional casing from second flush on), I've turned to rye, which seems very easy. It's the first time however that I'm casing from the 1st flush on. The rye jars colonized very quickly, and I'm now in the "post casing pre-pinning stage". I've put my casings in an incubator: a large rubbermaid-like box filled with a few inches of water/bleach and an aquarium heater, with a smaller plastic box inside. The casings are inside the smaller box, which doesn't close hermetically. This means the vapor from the bleach solution can reach the casings (covered only with aluminum foil). The bleach solution is rather weak (I would guess around 2% or something).

Questions:
1. is the bleach vapor going to impair further growth of the mycelium, or is it harmless? 3 days after putting the casings in the incubator (around 84 degrees), I can only see a very small patch of mycelium through the casing in one of them.
2. when I cased crumbled cakes after first flush, I would simply case and put back into the terrarium, without bothering with an incubation stage or anything. Conditions were OK for fruiting, but humidity was only just above 90%, whereas they say 95+ is required for the pre-pinning stage. Everything went fine however (I even got a 50 gram shroom once). So, am I just too careful, and would it be OK to put my new casings directly in my terrarium (70-75 degrees, around 90% humidity, light 12 on 12 off) and wait for them to pin? Or is the incubation stage really crucial?

Thanks for your advice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: bleach question [Re: Aldous]
    #589703 -

Up you go, unanswered post...

I might add an (easier) additional question: how long is this post-casing pre-pinning stage supposed to last?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: bleach question [Re: Aldous]
    #589736 -

i would say bleach is a horrible idea... you do not want bleach inside your fruiting chamber i could see this killing the whole casing.... you can use H202 to protect against contaminants... but bleach is very poisonous!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: bleach question [Re: LSD_4me]
    #589802 -

well, it seems to have worked anyway... after five days in the incubator, I saw mycelium shyly poking through the casing layer in several spots, so I took no chance and transferred the casings to the fruiting chamber (BTW, lsd_4me, the bleach was in the incubator, not in the fruiting chamber). hope they'll be OK...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: bleach question [Re: Aldous]
    #589867 -

oh ... im an idiot! yea that should be ok in the incubator not that big of a deal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Post deleted by Moe Howard Anonymous 564 4 12/11/02 09:49 AM
by JssMthrFcknChrst
* Newbie questions about incubators stoner2002 797 4 05/23/03 03:55 PM
by BetMomIsProud
* Question about incubator ces420 866 5 05/24/01 03:58 PM
by TripsAreForKids
* Questions about Incubation HELP! Anonymous 367 2 07/21/03 04:53 PM
by dog
* many questions Anonymous 837 12 11/20/02 07:26 PM
by GhostPanther
* Incubation chamber, steril? Dank420 1,493 8 04/24/03 08:27 PM
by Dank420
* Incubation Question Shpongloid 956 6 08/03/03 04:39 PM
by Shpongloid
* incubation ques zoomery 494 3 01/27/03 11:29 AM
by Roadkill

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,197 topic views. 19 members, 287 guests and 451 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.