Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Newbie questions about incubators
    #1572289 - 05/23/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I plan on doing my first grow. I believe if you're going to grow you should do a large grow and not have to worry about cultivation charges for a while, just like with herb. I want to this like a pro. My friends want shrooms and I want to hook them all up for free. They are rare in my area.

I need some big rubbermaids, how bid do they make them? 35 gal? How many jars could I fit in there? (pint sized) I can stack them on top of each other right?

Where's a good place to get pint size canning jars without spending a lot?

How long would it take to fully colonize a pint sized jar at 85 degrees? (BRF)

Once colonization is complete, how long until my first flush? A couple weeks?

Could I turn my incubatior into a fruiting chamber some how?

I'm going to use PF classic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Newbie questions about incubators [Re: stoner2002]
    #1572442 - 05/23/03 02:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

First off. If you have not bought the brf/verm yet, dont. If you are planning on using pint sized jars, i strongly advise against the pf tek on pint sized jars as they will be slow as hell(and in my experience brf contams easier?)

Anyways, you said you wanna do it like a pro, the diffrence between people doing pf cakes, and super bulk grows is knowledge. Read, read, and read again. Ask if you got any questions. As far as incubators go, a 35 gallon will hold ALOT. more than you need to hold, thats for sure. Probably a couple hunded if you needed to.

I would suggest using some kind of grain, popcorn is easy to get, and is widely available. I found pound bags for 77 cents at wal mart, and they will fill about 4 pint sized jars each. If you are not sure on how to do this, you can check out Aliens tek: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/22982 ... This will make your shit go alot faster, and smoother. I would strongly suggest buying a presure cooker, some pollyfill, a couple bags of pop corn, pint sied jars, and some lysol at walmart, this should get you well on your way.

When you inject spores, they take a while to germinate, i would estimate about 2 weeks until you finish colonization. That will give you a little time to read on what you wanna do next (straw/poo) These will help you out alot, giving better yeilds, but they are not 'harder' they just require a little more effort wich im sure you have, and if you are gonna do it, why not do it right eh?

I dont think you need much more than 12 jars, if not then 24. The thing is, once you grow out the first batch(2 weeks) you can innoculate more jars(the ones you already have) with grain from an innoculated jar that you save for just this purpose. This cuts out the whole germinization process, and mycelium will start growing immediately, making your next set of jars take about a week.

I have no clue on where to get jars for cheap though, i always hear people saying 'they areonly 5 dollars...' around here they are about $12 for 12, but thats not even too bad. I dont need more than 12.

If you are only doing one large grow, then after all your cakes are done, you can just put some perlite in your rubbermade, and drop the temp to about 77 and mist/fan periodically, and you should be fine. Any way you do it, you should be cool, just remember to be sterile as hell, and learn as much as you can, details are learned by experience, but you can get pretty far in the game by just reading.

Have fun, and be safe.

If using pf tek, i would use 1/2 pints, they colonize quicker, and use twice as many. They seem to germinate a little faster for me pf style, so i would guess, 1-2 weeks till colonized, 2 to be safe, flip them if the bottoms dont colonize as fast. After that, you drop the temp, up humidity, and possibly cold shock, and you are looking anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for pinning, usually within the week. Then after pinning, they will grow before your eyes, and even more so at night. It gives you something to wake up to ;]

peace

Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Re: Newbie questions about incubators [Re: tak_old]
    #1572507 - 05/23/03 03:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Wow! That was one hell of a post. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I'll use the popcorn tek. Some more questions...

How many heaters should I use for a big 35 gal incubator? Like 3 100 watters?

How long are spore syringes viable? My friend is supplying me with a bunch, but he's had them for a while. How long are they good for?

I'll save a few jars strictly for use as spawn. How exactly do you do that? Wait for them to become 100% colonized and toss it in with your steralized substrate? Theres got to be a faq or something Im sure.

Where do you guys buy your jars from??????

Invisiblecalicyco
Re: Newbie questions about incubators [Re: stoner2002]
    #1572560 - 05/23/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

a 35 gal incubator isn't that big, one 200 watt fish tank heater should be more then enough. Remember, you aren't going to have 35 gallons of water in there either. More like 3-4 gallons, if that.

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
Re: Newbie questions about incubators [Re: calicyco]
    #1572612 - 05/23/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Go to WalMart or the local version and ask for canning jars. They'll have three or four different brands in three or four different sizes. I get 12 1 pint jars for $6.50 here, so they're not too expensive.

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate