Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Incubator Problems
    #696686 - 06/23/02 06:30 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I thought i'de better post this because i'm sure that a lot of people are in the same boat as me at this time. It's now offically summer and the enviromental temperatures are getting hotter in the Northern Hemisphere. I noticed slower-than normal growth in my jars lately and predicted that my incubator was hotter than it needed to be (86 degress or higer) since the surrounding air outside the incubator has risen. I checked and indeed my incubator was holding a steady 90 degrees. Now, I take that my prediction of the surrounding air being hotter causing this was correct because the water levels of the jar are the same and the heating control hasn't been changed. I'm just wondering if anybody has good suggestions on what to do in the summer months about this issue? At the moment I have turned my incubator down...i'm hoping it will drop to 80degrees or lower and i'll slowly bring it up to 82/83ish degrees by tonight.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: phrozendata]
    #696706 - 06/23/02 06:37 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Incubator Problems [Re: vatoloco]
    #696714 - 06/23/02 06:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/incubator.html

That highlights the basic idea. It's got a thin-glassed jar placed directly in the middle which is equiped with a 50W aquarium heater. I thought i'de better explain myself a little better before the bulk of the masses reply.

The aquairum heater is equiped with a thermostat that will hold the WATER at a constant temperature but not the AIR. Since the AIR temperaure inside my incubator has increased the WATER temperature is increasing it PLUS more. It seems that the increase (four degrees) is about steady with the increase in the air temperature. Like I said, i'll be playing around with it and try to get it to work better. I just wanted to point this out because those 4-degrees over really does slow down mycelium growth and other are in the same position w/o knowing it.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflinesBUD
enthusiast
Re: Incubator Problems [Re: phrozendata]
    #696749 - 06/23/02 07:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hummm that makes me wanna go home now and check the reading in my incub!!!
We're getting around 35Celsius here during the day, never thought that it would affect the temp in my incub?? I leave a 2" gap atop my lid but thats jus to air out the insides. And i also put cloth towels over my jarz and casing to help maintain the heat on the jarz...but me gots ta check.

thx for bringing that up

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #697174 - 06/23/02 09:58 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

>I'm just wondering if anybody has good suggestions on >what to do in the summer months about this issue? At the
>moment I have turned my incubator down...

An leave it turned down while the temperatures are so high outside.
Als try to bring in more water mass in your incubator. It will work as a temperature buffer, heating up at day through the surounding air to something under the air temperature, and slowly giving off that heat at night.

OfflineJericho6909
Re: Incubator Problems [Re: Anno]
    #698202 - 06/24/02 01:02 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm having a similar problem w/ my incubator due to the rising heat in my part of the country and my temp is holding steady at 84-86 but my humidity is ranging from 93-97%. I believe optimal RH is 70-80%....I have pint sized jars w/ birdseed using filter discs and the incubator(rubbermaid container within a larger one) is being heated w/ 150W heater set just under 82F. I poked a buncha 1/4" holes in the outside container hoping to get it down a bit but it didnt do jack. I imagine the RH is even higher inside the jars. How much is the humidty going to affect my growth? I'm probably at a higher risk for contams as well.

Any suggestions? Get a little more air flow in there? Turn down the temp a bit?

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #698262 - 06/24/02 01:40 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

My cat has noticed the same problem with his incubator - what's he's done is to cut a hole (about 2"x2") in the lid of the box and glue a filter disc over it. Since hot air rises and collects more at the top of the chamber, the hole in the lid serves to allow some of that heat to escape. He has also installed an air pump in a filter box to keep fresh air circulating in the chamber (this also creates positive pressure, which maybe helps push more air out the top).

Admittedly, his temps are a little on the high side, too. Try keeping the container out of the sunlight (like in a closet with a fluorescent light). If things are really getting out of hand, I imagine that you could just coil up a bunch of air/water hose on the bottom of the container and force cool(er) water through it with a water pump sitting in an external aquarium. This should keep temperatures a little more constant without actually introducing any more water to your setup. As a bonus, you could add ice to the aquarium water (or modify the design with a radiator of some sort) to get your temps down a little more.

'

Clear as mud, huh?

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #699584 - 06/25/02 04:55 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Great topic as always pd.

Thought I'd give this a bump since alot of people should consider this factor.

I don't have this problem......I have a nice cool basement.

But.....other's better consider this!!!
or you might cook your spores!!!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinedi11rod

#699619 - 06/25/02 05:32 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A few other ideas to consider in this challenge:

1. If you have a cement slabbed foundation, setting your incubator on the slab may help keep temperature down. A garage floor usually stays nice and cool throughout the day. Especially if the door is closed.

2. Providing that your air intake for incubator is filtered, placing incubator near AC outlet vent can keep it cooler.

3. Watch your air pumps if using one for incubator or whatever. I had an air pump running 24/7 and noticed the temp in fruiting chamber had risen. This airpump is metal and old and from Germany. Its housing was warm. I realized this thing was heating the air as it was pushing it into the chamber.

just some thoughts,

di11rod

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation